Super fast cycle

jc_k

Market
Reaction score
I just tested my water on my 10 gallon soon to be frag tank and here are the test results
Ph- 8.0
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate-20ppm

I'm still going to wait another month to make sure its 100 percent cycled. But is it possible that this tanked cycled in 3 weeks? All I have is a HOB refuge with seeded bio balls, chaeto, and some seachem matrix ( has been in display foe almost a year ) that definitely has some batceria on it and I also have a HOB with a very small filter mesh stuff and a pound or two of cured liverock in the tank. So is it possible that it already cycled?

Its not cycled yet....

if you took old matrix ..old water and sand you can cycle it quicker because its all established. minimal or no algea blooms.

you have nitrates so your not finished yet.

I took everything from my display. might put some sand in.

Ringo®;941944 wrote: Did you ever add some sort of ammonia source?

no.. do I need to. I think their was a couple snails but they died.

If everything came from an established tank, what is there left for a "cycle"?

rjrgroup;941962 wrote: If everything came from an established tank, what is there left for a "cycle"?

Could be nothing. If it's been empty for 3 weeks, what's keeping the bacteria alive?

frag freak;941909 wrote: Its not cycled yet....

if you took old matrix ..old water and sand you can cycle it quicker because its all established. minimal or no algea blooms.

I don't even understand this advice..... you probably skiped your cycle.

rjrgroup;941962 wrote: If everything came from an established tank, what is there left for a "cycle"?

Ringo®;941969 wrote: If it's been empty for 3 weeks, what's keeping the bacteria alive?

Two very good questions.

heathlindner25;941974 wrote: you probably skiped your cycle.

I'd lean more towards this.

frag freak;941909 wrote: Its not cycled yet....

please elaborate on the " you still have nitrates so you're not finished yet"

heathlindner25;941976 wrote: please elaborate on the " you still have nitrates so you're not finished yet"

Haha If that's the case I'm sorry to say you'll be waiting a veryyyyyyyyy long time for that cycle to end hehe

DawgFace;941977 wrote: Haha If that's the case I'm sorry to say you'll be waiting a veryyyyyyyyy long time for that cycle to end hehe

no offense , but bs advice is worse than not at all.

If you're in doubt and there isn't anything in there....you could test drive it by adding some ammonia and getting it up a few ppm and seeing how long it takes to process

Thanks for the advice and yes everything came from a established tank. Their is some scattered shells and stuff on the floor of the tank with the live rock. Theirs probably bacteria in the matrix and bio-balls... I guess. I'm still going to play it safe and wait another month. Ill probably add a little more sand. Any recommendations where I can get some pieces of rubble at for the tank to?

I think I am going to put something in it for ammonia. Can I just put some pellets of fish food in it....

I think we all confusing each other.

The nitrogen cycle broken down simplistically.

1. Ammonia
2. Nitrite
3. Nitrate
Hobbyist becomes involved by removing nitrate by filtration and water change.
4. Repeat

Back