Super fast cycle

Some may disagree with me, but i'd either throw a fish in there or buy "appropriate" ammonia.

Edit: Just be sure to test frequently if you put the fish in. Water changes as necessary.

Sure....may take a little longer. No harm if you're just going to wait it out anyway.

JC_k;941989 wrote: Thanks for the advice and yes everything came from a established tank. Their is some scattered shells and stuff on the floor of the tank with the live rock. Theirs probably bacteria in the matrix and bio-balls... I guess. I'm still going to play it safe and wait another month. Ill probably add a little more sand. Any recommendations where I can get some pieces of rubble at for the tank to?

if you're testing 0-0- 20 you're good to go, do a water change and try to get to 0-0-0 and add some critters your cycled brother....lol

heathlindner25;941990 wrote: I understand your comment I don't know why I " quote" you...lol
more or less just talking to you.

I thought it was a mistake or misunderstanding... No worries.

And all that's left is the nitrates. So either I didn't have a cycle, cycle never started, or it happened really fast?

JC_k;941999 wrote: And all that's left is the nitrates. So either I didn't have a cycle, cycle never started, or it happened really fast?

There's nothing to cycle. You started with live rock, live matrix and live sand....

No cycle needed, it was already alive and rocking and rolling.

JC_k;941989 wrote: Any recommendations where I can get some pieces of rubble at for the tank to?

Most LFS carry it, I have seen people buy it from Pure Reef.

heathlindner25;942002 wrote: maybe lack of a food source?

I would think 3 weeks is little or lot short to worry about die off assuming all other parameters were of quality, no? Furthermore the presence of nitrates shows the bacteria to be stable and preforming.

its sooo far from me lol...jk How much longer would I need to wait to put coral in or can I already put them in.?

Coral water changes to 0-0-0 for sure or very close to.

Even then, coral respond to new tank in ways that are beyond our ability to replicate. I'd start with very hardy stuff and work your way up.

Ok. Thanks for all your help guys. I actually have one more question. I was going to put my pair of clowns in a 10 gallon so I can finally start collecting the eggs and if I'm successful I might even get some more pairs of clowns. Well how would I cycle that 10 gallon and how would I set it up? I was planning on using a HOB filter and nothing else? Would the work?

JC_k;942014 wrote: Ok. Thanks for all your help guys. I actually have one more question. I was going to put my pair of clowns in a 10 gallon so I can finally start collecting the eggs and if I'm successful I might even get some more pairs of clowns. Well how would I cycle that 10 gallon and how would I set it up? I was planning on using a HOB filter and nothing else? Would the work?

dude that is a lot of work, are you sure you're up for it?

Nitrates are still high...yes water change! It aint ready till it drops 0-0-0. This is all I meant!

Thank you all for clarification, I was confusing I think.

DawgFace;941994 wrote: I think we all confusing each other.

The nitrogen cycle broken down simplistically.

1. Ammonia
2. Nitrite
3. Nitrate
Hobbyist becomes involved by removing nitrate by filtration and water change.
4. Repeat

Wait.....start over...lol I'm confused.

And jacob...like I said if it was all established you might have just skipped it.

Just stirring up an established tank enough (moving) can cause a mini cycle.

heathlindner25;942018 wrote: dude that is a lot of work, are you sure you're up for it?

You have on clue on how hard it was trying to get advice. I've been researching and reading and talking to people for the past year about breeding clowns.... Most people probably laugh because I'm only 13. Well that's the thing. I have LOTS of time. I have all A's in school so this really wouldn't really be "distracting" for me. I thinking I should ask someone if they would donate some live eggs to me so I can rear the fry. And if I'm successful at it then ill buy a clown pair. If I don't succeed at it then ill try again. I do have experience breeding discus and angelfish and to me it was easy. The one thing that stops me from doing all kind of things is MONEY. lol I don't have a job yet ( only 13 ).

frag freak;942027 wrote: And jacob...like I said if it was all established you might have just skipped it.

Just stirring up an established tank enough (moving) can cause a mini cycle.

you never said that bro.

Back