Supplemental VHOs on the 465 SPS Tank.

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
In my never ending quest to continually play with things that do not need to be played with, I have decided to add a couple VHO lights to my 465 gallon SPS tank 4x 400 watt Radium Halides, just to see what kind of color bump I can get for my acros. I am happy with the colors now, but I just cannot leave well enough alone. So I have a couple Coralvue/Icecap 660s, endcaps, standoffs coming. I am planning on initially placing two VHO bulbs the entire length (2 x 48" and 2 x 48") of the tank (96"), with the ability to add another 2 if needed. Just not sure how many I need.

I am just looking to add some punch to the colors, not encourage growth, which is fine.

I am planing on using a mix of UVI Super actinic and 454 bulbs. The 454 bulbs are new to me, and have mostly blue coloration, whereas the super actinic is more of a purplish. Got 4 48" bulbs of each (8 total) coming, so I can decide which help the most, if any. Halides are pretty blue to start, but the UVI website says both types add to coral coloration.

I am pretty sure I can add them to my existing rig without a lot of hassle. I might have to extend the wiring harness a bit, as I don't have a clue how long the wires are that come with the 660 ballast.

I considered some T5HO retrofits and bulbs, but thought I'd get a bit more punch from the VHOs, given the limited space I have to work with in my rig.

Pics to come, including before/after pics, etc. As always, I'll let you know if it was a good idea or an epic fail. You can tell me from the pics I will post. I should have the components tomorrow, and hopefully set up soon afterwards.

Fidofence;912149 wrote: Add reef brite vho led strips, the colors will be amazing

If the VHO fluorescents, don't do it, then VHO LED might be the next unnecessary purchase!:D

I actually tried to contact buildmyled.com about getting some hi intensity LEDs from them. But after 6 days with no response I spent my money elsewhere. Guess their business is so good they can ignore potential customers and a $500 sale.

The vho fluorescents will help but the vho reefbrite will get you where you want to be. I went to Wwc in Orlando and he had them on every tank and the colors were amazing so I added to mine and wow what a difference. The Fish Store just added them to their main display tank if you want to see them in action

I'm glad that you plan to add supplemental VHO or T5. Either will make your tank look very crazy beautiful. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Fidofence;912154 wrote: The vho fluorescents will help but the vho reefbrite will get you where you want to be. I went to Wwc in Orlando and he had them on every tank and the colors were amazing so I added to mine and wow what a difference. The Fish Store just added them to their main display tank if you want to see them in action

I will check out the Fish Store, but I'll kick it old school for the first try. For halide users with SPS, the halide/VHO combo is pretty classic. There are some coral colors accentuated by purple more than blue, and vice versa. The 454 blues I have coming sound interesting. I'm hoping for more color intensity than only blue or purple by itself would give, whether the light is VHO or LED.

No problem with heating up the water in the winter either, which is why I've waited until now to try this. My sump is in an unfinished, unheated part of the basement, so my heaters are on some, even now with 4x 400 watt halides over the tank.

Not sure if you have ever seen ARC Member TrombleyDavid's 600 gallon SPS reef or not, but he has halide/VHOs and his color are great.

Fidofence;912154 wrote: The vho fluorescents will help but the vho reefbrite will get you where you want to be. I went to Wwc in Orlando and he had them on every tank and the colors were amazing so I added to mine and wow what a difference. The Fish Store just added them to their main display tank if you want to see them in action

I'm pretty sure WWC pulled all the LED's off and went back to T5's because they weren't happy with the results. I could be wrong but that's what I was told just a few weeks ago by a local store that visits and buys from them frequently.

Edit: I think you'll benefit a lot by adding any lighting Dave. My little 120 has 2x 400w halides and 300w of LED on it. I think you know what you really need but are in denial. Cause you know Da' Nile ain't a river in Egypt. Go to the land of Oz...

sounds great Dave! I wouldn't mind adding one 4 foot single over my tank in addition to my two, 400 watt Radiums, do you know where I can get one?

not interested in paying 500 bucks in LED's for similar looks from a T5.....I don't need any more par....

I ran the URI Super Actinic R VHOs for at least 6 years.....LOOOOOOVE them! They don't need a reflector because half the interior is reflective coated so it acts as it's own reflector. So you save a lot of space and the color out of them is just beautiful! If I didn't go canopy-less, I would still have them.

someone pm me on where to get fixture....T5 single actinic or VHO

I just had 2x48" ARO setup for sale. I'll pm ya.

Sent from my iPhone using
m

I sent you a PM as well, Ralph. I'd have been interested in that ARO setup myself, except my stuff will be delivered tomorrow. Too late.:doh:

I do have some LEDs on the tank ,but they are just little moonlights. Just light up the reef like moonlight after the halides go out. No effect on the corals period.

Edit:
Seth The Wine Guy;912197 wrote: I'm pretty sure WWC pulled all the LED's off and went back to T5's because they weren't happy with the results. I could be wrong but that's what I was told just a few weeks ago by a local store that visits and buys from them frequently.

Edit: I think you'll benefit a lot by adding any lighting Dave. My little 120 has 2x 400w halides and 300w of LED on it. I think you know what you really need but are in denial. Cause you know Da' Nile ain't a river in Egypt. Go to the land of Oz...

You mean Halides + VHO + LED? I don't think I'll get there, but I'll post pics when I get the VHOs wired up. I will have the ability to put up to four VHO bulbs across the entire length of the tank (2x CoralVue 660s), but I'll start with 2 across. Hopefully, the Radiums won't wash the VHO lighting out, and two across the tank will be enough.

Had enough of LEDs over SPS tanks for a while, hehehe! I thought Oz had 2x 1000 watt Helios bulbs and that was it? Did he have VHOs as well? I can't remember. Hopefully we'll get to see that new ocean he is setting up in his new house one day.

I consider Chris's old tank the nicest SPS reef tank I have ever seen in this area. I'm sure his new one will kick butt as well.

sorry, but I did not find a single bulb fixture on either site....

mysterybox;912207 wrote: sorry, but I did not find a single bulb fixture on either site....

You won't find a single bulb fixture, but you will find 2 bulb retrofits that you can only wire one bulb up on. Look under T5HO retrofit or VHO retrofit. No market for single bulb fixtures, but nothing is preventing you from only running one bulb off a 2 bulb retrofit. Although I think with 2x 400 watt halides you would want two bulbs.

For awhile I ran 1 bulb with 3x175W 15K Iwasakis. It gave a nice little pop. But def 2 is better if you can. My ARO kit worked flawlessly for me for years....I ran ARO ballasts for my 175s too....imo, ARO makes some amazing ballasts!

Acroholic;912206 wrote: I sent you a PM as well, Ralph. I'd have been interested in that ARO setup myself, except my stuff will be delivered tomorrow. Too late.:doh:

I do have some LEDs on the tank ,but they are just little moonlights. Just light up the reef like moonlight after the halides go out. No effect on the corals period.

Edit:

You mean Halides + VHO + LED? I don't think I'll get there, but I'll post pics when I get the VHOs wired up. I will have the ability to put up to four VHO bulbs across the entire length of the tank (2x CoralVue 660s), but I'll start with 2 across. Hopefully, the Radiums won't wash the VHO lighting out, and two across the tank will be enough.

Had enough of LEDs over SPS tanks for a while, hehehe! I thought Oz had 2x 1000 watt Helios bulbs and that was it? Did he have VHOs as well? I can't remember. Hopefully we'll get to see that new ocean he is setting up in his new house one day.

I consider Chris's old tank the nicest SPS reef tank I have ever seen in this area. I'm sure his new one will kick butt as well.

As I recall he had 2x 1000w helios with vho. I will agree it was an epic sps tank and the nicest I'd seen. I think those 1000 watters did something special though. I don't think it's something simply measured in watt to watt comparison. I'd take 2x 1000w over 3x 400w. Just like I would take a 300hp car with torque and no turbo over a 300hp car that needs turbo to get it there. I just think of the 1000w as a pure muscle car. You loose fuel efficiency with all that muscle but who cares when you want NASCAR performance?

Mikesmith34;912233 wrote: How do you deal with the heat coming off 2 x 1000 watts/ Exhaust vents?

Yeah. Probably a 800 cfm blower out the side of the house. External mount to reduce noise.

Back