Surface fans - need advice

brynbyers

Market
Reaction score
I'm wanting to add at least two 3" (80mm) fans at the surface of my tank and attached to the back trim (If I did 4", they would be exposed above the edge of the trim). Of course, maximum air flow is a plus but noise level will also be an issue as it's an open canopy.
Does anyone have recommendations as to what fans would work best? I believe I want to use DC fans with AC adapters. I've heard to look at Fry's and Xoxoide.com, but there are so many choices I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with any one type. What is an optimum cfm and dBA? Also, is there any place to shop locally (Atlanta area) to find what I need to piece them together (I was thinking MicroCenter?)

i put mine on the sump and use a cheap clip on fan from BIG LOTS. It works great.

If you have a sump, get some eggcrate, place it on top and strap a fan or two face down on it. It'll give direct air straight onto the water and you'll never have to worry about the fans falling in.

I like the sump ideas (including the reuse of Melev's idea from last night), but I'm really hoping to blow off some of the hot air from the halides up top...

I've seen before where people have talked about using computer fans. Not sure where to get a used one from but they say it works very well.

ask au01st. He has 6 or 7 i believe a top his tank. he should be able to give you good in sight as to what to look for and how to go about doing it.

Back