T5's with SPS who is running them over there tank?

casper75

Market
Reaction score
was wondering who else besides me is running T5 in here with and SPS tank.

I have a tank that predominately SPS that I've been running T5 over for the past 2 years.

I've never measured it. I originally had 4 bulbs being overdriven by an Icecap 660 and 2 normally driven 54w bulbs over the tank but have since switched out the 660 for a 430 so now I have 2 overdriven bulbs and 4 normally driven. I was actually getting too much light with the 660 on the tank.

This is a 55g w/ a 6 bulb retro installed. 2 IceCap SLR reflectors and 4 SLS Tek reflectors (had to do that to be able to fit 6 over the 13" width of the 55), IceCap 430 driving the 2 bulbs in front to get maximum light to my clams in the sand bed and two Workhorse 5 ballasts driving the other 4 bulbs.

and Mike forgot to mention, his tank looks awesome. SPS growth is good and the color rendition is excellent.

I have a 6 bulb fixture on my 72-gal tank. I seem to be getting good growth and nice color.

What mix of bulbs do you guys use?

I am running a total of 16 48" T5's over my 240, 8 over driven and 8 normal driven.
Mya bulb are
4 URI SUPER ACTINIC
6 ATI AQUA BLUE
2 ATI AQUA SUN
2 URI 10K
2 GE 3000K
I am getting great par with this set up , on my sand bed I am getting readings at 203 and that 21" down and the bulbs are 8 1/2" of my water.

I am getting great par with this set up , on my sand bed I am getting readings at 203 and that 21" down and the bulbs are 8 1/2" of my water.

intersting I guess I never knew T5;s had a good par output like that. Can anyone put a pic of their tanks up so we can see how the corals are looking.

OK you T5 guys. I'm going to add actinic T5s to my 450G. I want it solely for dawn/dusk and actinic so I'd like the bulbs that makes the greens pop like VHO actinics do. What bulbs would you suggest?

UVI (URI) super actinics are supposed to be the closest thing to their VHO coutnerparts. I have not tried them yet, though.

I am going to order T5's this week for my 75. I am using the 6 T5 retro from reefgeek with the IceCap Reflector up grade.

a>

wow, I'm shocked over those prices! So what made you decide T-5 over MH?

Here is a photo taken I think on 10-19-2006 (if the date in the camera is correct which it should be)
IMG_1380.jpg
alt="" />

Here is a photo I snapped tonight 12-4-2006
IMG_1753.jpg
alt="" />

Well, they have almost all the positives of MH with none of the heat or power bill. I am willing to try them. I should have no problem with SPS or clams. I spoke with Greg at ReefGeek and he answered all my questions in detail. Good luck!

mufret wrote: maximum light to my clams in the sand bed
Mike, what breeds of clams are you keeping under the T5's?

Do T5's really come up to the intensity of MH lighting? I'm still in the planning stages for my 60 cube, but was planning on a 400w DE MH with suplemental actinics. The footprint is 24"x24". Based on my current 250w over a 25, I'm betting that the heat will be an issue.

The thing with T-5's is that you have to have a parabolic reflector per bulb. If you don't use individual reflectors then you will not produce enough light to keep SPS or clams.

Back