Tank Back Panel Cracked Today

marquiseo

Market
Reaction score
So I came home to my tank pouring almost 15g of water on the floor due the back panel cracking from top to bottom. Luckily, it didn't completely break off or I would have had all 30g on floor.

I am at the point where I would have to replace the back panel or just get a new tank. If I get a new tank, it will have to be a 36" long to go with the ATI fixture I just got..... FML. More money having to be spend.

15228977259_2511570deb_c.jpg
alt="" />

Man thats a major bummer, sorry to see that happen. Was the tank sitting directly on the stand or were you using foam under it?

dball711;988735 wrote: Man thats a major bummer, sorry to see that happen. Was the tank sitting directly on the stand or were you using foam under it?
It has a foam mat.

I had a 150 that a seam let go on, about 25 gals came out b4 i knew what was going on. Didn't you just set that tank up?

dball711;988739 wrote: I had a 150 that a seam let go on, about 25 gals came out b4 i knew what was going on. Didn't you just set that tank up?

No, I had this tank since June. I removed the AIO section last Tuesday because that section bowed extremely hard but the areas removed were not in the section where you see the crack.

Anyone know of a good glass company that does beveled edges and will deliver? I would prefer closer to Columbus.

Why did it break?? Man that kind of stuff makes me nervous. New hard woods my wife would freakin flip.....heck I would freakin flip

Mikesmith34;988742 wrote: Why did it break?? Man that kind of stuff makes me nervous. New hard woods my wife would freakin flip.....heck I would freakin flip

I am unsure. I re-examined my rocks and none of them fell against the back glass to crack it. They are all still puttied to together.

Luckily, I saved all my livestock. My SPS didn't RTN and I had a 20G tote on hand that I can place my corals into. I can keep them in that for the time being until I get a new tank.

I was planning on saving my spending money from pay this month for an apex gold but I see that plan has been thrown out the window.

There's a place called ltr or something like that here in columbus that cuts glass. They can bevel it too, I know because I had to go there. They don't deliver though

shawn_patterson;988755 wrote: There's a place called ltr or something like that here in columbus that cuts glass. They can bevel it too, I know because I had to go there. They don't deliver though
Thanks! I will contact them tomorrow. I stay on Veterans so thats not far from me.

mattgee87;988759 wrote: grab a 40 gallon (36x18 ) from petco since they are 1 dollar per gallon right now.

I have to check and see are there any left. I would prefer to remain rimless though.

MarquiseO;988761 wrote: I have to check and see are there any left. I would prefer to remain rimless though.
I have a 29 gallon with a stand you can borrow or buy. Whichever you prefer

shawn_patterson;988770 wrote: I have a 29 gallon with a stand you can borrow or buy. Whichever you prefer

Thanks but I'll figure something out tomorrow. The corals are in a plastic tote so they are fine at the moment.

shawn_patterson;988757 wrote: LTR Glass Inc
Auto Glass Shop
5278 Hamilton Rd, Columbus, GA 31904
(706) 653-2288

There's the info

I contacted that company today and they quoted me a price of $61. Is that a lot of a 36"x13" pane of flat polished glass?

It does seem kind of high but if its starfire glass, polished edges…its going to add up. I paid $40 for a custom cut top for a 28gal NanoCube so maybe it’s in line…

dball711;988900 wrote: It does seem kind of high but if its starfire glass, polished edges…its going to add up. I paid $40 for a custom cut top for a 28gal NanoCube so maybe it’s in line…

Its regular glass because its the back panel and flat polished to match the other panels.

shawn_patterson;988901 wrote: I remember when I bough glass for my 40b sump it cost me 52 bucks for six pieces of glass
Why not use lowes? Also, where can I get some aquarium black silicone locally?

Ok. It may be cheaper. I think I accidentally told her 3/8"(10mm) glass but I meant to tell her 5/16"(8mm). I will order it tomorrow. I just need to double check my measurements for that back panel.

Back