Tank Back Panel Cracked Today

Hmmm... the stand should be level. A mat or foam can squish down here or there, but not evenly, and cause the tank to twist, which can lead to failure.

IMO get a replacement tank. Replacing glass on on a tank is usually more trouble and expense than it's worth, and not worth the uncertainty of whether the repair will hold.

Jenn

JennM;989342 wrote: Hmmm... the stand should be level. A mat or foam can squish down here or there, but not evenly, and cause the tank to twist, which can lead to failure.

IMO get a replacement tank. Replacing glass on on a tank is usually more trouble and expense than it's worth, and not worth the uncertainty of whether the repair will hold.

Jenn

its not for leveling the stand. It's to even the pressure out between the stand top and the glass tank bottom.As long as there are no rolls, it evens out flat.
http://innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/micro30L.html">http://innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/micro30L.html</a>

I will be replacing the glass. I have removed all the silicone from all the remaining panels and once I get the back piece, I will resilicone them together. It will be just like doing a DIY tank or any manufacture siliconing a stand rimless tank in their factory to be sold.

It's a waste, to me, to throw out a tank and buy a new one when you can just replace the one panel that is damaged. I was considering buying a new but I weighed the costs.

I realize what you're saying... but a stand should be square and level in its construction. If a manufacturer suggests that a mat is needed to forgive flaws in the workmanship that's a red flag.

In 25+ years I have never heard of such a thing with a glass tank.

I guess the perceived value of repair versus replace is a subjective thing. I don't think I'd ever trust a tank that had a pane replaced. A DIY job is *not* the same as something done in a factory by professionals.

That's JMHO... respectfully.

Jenn

Ya Jenn it's a really thin black mat that is some kind of foam material. Maybe like 5mm thick at most. But they do come with the IM tanks. A lot of the rimless manufacturers of tanks are using them. Like ADA in Japan. Also some of the nano tanks like the Fluval Ebi and Flora and the newer aquatop nano tanks come with mats like that.

my JBJ 45 came with one but i just tossed it..i went over my stand pretty meticulously while i was building so i really didnt see the need for it or if it would even be effective at all..looks more like its just to prevent scratches on the bottom..but if it was such a great or effective piece of the aquarium they probably would have glued it on the bottom.

interesting. The rimless glass tanks I've seen had bottom trim - to support the glass.

If there have been numerous blowouts with that particular make/model, sounds like it's not working out so well.

Jenn

JennM;989402 wrote: interesting. The rimless glass tanks I've seen had bottom trim - to support the glass.

If there have been numerous blowouts with that particular make/model, sounds like it's not working out so well.

Jenn

I'm not sure what tanks you are referring to. Recently, only large tanks (100+) have a euro brace on the bottom for support. This is just a 30g. The defect started with the false wall of the AIO which I removed so now it will be just a glass box with no overflow as it had been for the past week. I thank you for your concern but I will just replace the back pane and reseal all the panels together. This isn't my first diy tank build.

JennM;989402 wrote: interesting. The rimless glass tanks I've seen had bottom trim - to support the glass.

Jenn

Yeah the ones with the bottom trim would be a HUGE mistake to use a mat like that. But there are many tanks now being produced with out any trim at all. No top or bottom trim. ADA which in my opinion makes the best tanks in the world, has been making full rimless tanks with no bottom trim for a long time now.

I'm going to repeat myself just so I don't start any drama... I believe ADA makes the best tanks in my opinion. =)

Back