The BEST Phosphate reactor?

schwaggs

Supporting
Reaction score
OK, lets hear your experiences with Phosphate reactors.

Who is running one and how is it working for you?
Good or bad experiences?
What brand reactor and media is best?

There is really not much to these, so I dont think a brand of reactor will be a real big issue. I have heard the AquaC XP leak like a screen door, so I avoided those, but I go with the TLF Phosband reactor because it was there and on sale. And when all is said and done, its just a upflow media reactor, nothing fancy at all.

With the media, though, I have an opinion. There is a lot of claim out there that each GFO by the different companies is inheretly different, but also just as much claim that GFO is GFO, no matter how you paint it. I have always been hesitant to use GFO due to the fact that it is iron, and in this type of application, accidental dosing can occur. However, I tried using it, and, to my knowledge, did not have problems. However, I recently went to using Brightwell Aquatics Phosphate media which is not iron, but a resin, which can supposedly be recharged. This gives a little more piece of mind, but I have not been using it long enough to report on its effectiveness. Just my 2 cents.

jmaneyapanda;120357 wrote: There is really not much to these, so I dont think a brand of reactor will be a real big issue. I have heard the AquaC XP leak like a screen door, so I avoided those, but I go with the TLF Phosband reactor because it was there and on sale. And when all is said and done, its just a upflow media reactor, nothing fancy at all.

With the media, though, I have an opinion. There is a lot of claim out there that each GFO by the different companies is inheretly different, but also just as much claim that GFO is GFO, no matter how you paint it.

Just ditto that they are all the same (GFO wise). I run phosban because i can get it cheap on sale and the TLF reactors are cheap on sale. Have it 24/7 on my tank, always have and always will.

The resin sounds intersting Mor Info!

(2) TLF reactor 24/7. One with ROWA &/or Phosar and the other with carbon.
very simple to use.

I am going to try one of these Poly Reactors next:

merchant.mvc
alt="" /></a>

They are about $40 and come with the pump and hook-up tubing. I am just using a small DIY inline thingy now so I hope the true reactor will be an upgrade. I have been using GFO (Pura Phos) for several years with no apparent problems.

I just ordered a TLF reactor and some ROWA. Is it easy to figure how much rowa to put in there and how much flow do you want?

I didn't know about the crappyness of the tesk kits, my salafert says 0ppm. I hardley have any alagae growth but i sure can grow cheato....would that be a signe of phosphates?

where do phosphates come from? I use RO water, is it something that comes from the nitro cycle?

Good threat, i'm glad to see such good feetback on the TLF reactor. Plus I'm happy with the price.

Jason

I have a hanna low range phopshate meter that I can test with. However, you'll need to come to me, this thing doesnt leave my house without me.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

jmaneyapanda, let us know how it goes with the resin. It doesn't look real expensive, however the key will be how long it lasts. Do you test for phosphates regularly?

here you go:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php</a>

[IMG]http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php">http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php</a>

No question in my mind... Canister Filter. I have been preaching their usefulness since I was turned onto them. You can run them off a pump or inline with another filter in the system and leave them unplugged. They are VERY easy to change media, most have several baskets for various media/filters and you can usually pick them up very cheap. Good ones are pretty leak proof to boot. Without a doubt one of my favorite filter mechanisms on my tank thanks to its flexibility.

I personally load mine up with carbon, GFO and Purigen.

Cameron;121250 wrote: No question in my mind... Canister Filter. I have been preaching their usefulness since I was turned onto them. You can run them off a pump or inline with another filter in the system and leave them unplugged. They are VERY easy to change media, most have several baskets for various media/filters and you can usually pick them up very cheap. Good ones are pretty leak proof to boot. Without a doubt one of my favorite filter mechanisms on my tank thanks to its flexibility.

I personally load mine up with carbon, GFO and Purigen.

I've always heard the same, however, I don't have much room left under my tank...how big are they? What's a good brand that won't leak? I use 2, phosphate reactors (they sit on the side of sump), 1 with carbon 1 with gfo, so it's pretty much no brainier. Just curious for something "down the line".

Depends on the canister. Renas tend to have a 9x8, but they have a hang on tank model that is pretty small. Fluvals are around 7x8 and some Ehiems are around 7" round. If you have a tight fit, the smaller canisters can work as well. I have been meaning to look into Rapids mini-Canister http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16742">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16742</a>

and I think even a powerfilter would work well.

I didn't realize that they made them that small. Thanks! I have plenty of room for some of those. I was thinking that they were the size of a mini wet vac or something. cool.

They are great especially since you can pick them up cheap used. Just make sure if you get one used it doesn't leak. Outside that, they are about as easy on the media changes as it gets. You usually pull a level, disconnect the plumbing and then open the canister, change media, reconnect the plumbing and flip the lever. My Rena is a dream.

Randy Holmes Farley turned me onto them as that is what he uses.

Can you control the flow through? I dont run the phosphate and carbon in the same raector because I want/need different flows through them.

the problem with complete canisters, is it can be very hard to start them if you are pulling the water out of a low water level sump. the canister pump part should be below the water line to get them primed.

Why the different flow rates on carbon and GFO?

Roland Jacques;121328 wrote: the problem with complete canisters, is it can be very hard to start them if you are pulling the water out of a low water level sump. the canister pump part should be below the water line to get them primed.

Why the different flow rates on carbon and GFO?

GFO *HAS* to be run very slowly. If you dont, it will disintegrate the GFO particles, and you be adding iron uncontrolled into your water column. Carbon can have a much higher turnover, though.

I read somewhere that you should mix carbon and gfo so your gfo doesn't turn into a brick..I think it was a suggestion if you were going to use it in a media bag instead of a reactor though. Can't remember where I got that from though.

jmaneyapanda, whats the word on the Brightwell PhosphatR media? Better than the others or hype?

Back