The big rock swap

mojo

Market
Reaction score
I've mentioned my "big rock swap" on several threads now, so I'm finally following through with pictures and a history.

When I first setup this tank back in 2005, I wanted to focus on the most environmentally friendly rock I could, so got maricultured live rock from Florida. 5 bucks/lb, and that was a good deal at the time. It wasn't terribly exciting rock, but it was coraline algae covered and some pieces were fairly interesting. More importantly, I got some very large pieces - probably a 40 and 60lb rock - good for large tanks.

3042983079_bc213ed10e.jpg
alt="" />

Here's what it looked like the day after I got it in place:

3042941865_0d5c23a37a.jpg
alt="" />

After a year or two of adding corals and growth, I end up with this:

778625141_2b0a3c4d4b.jpg
alt="" />

Then I moved from Stone Mountain to Roswell.... By this point, a lot of the corals attached to the rocks, making positioning much more difficult - there's only so many ways a large rock can go when a large millepora is tabling off of it and have it look ok.

I did my best with the rock, but it just wasn't pretty:

3042946455_a36a54c44d_o.jpg
alt="" />

But I figured that eventually the corals would cover the rock, and you'd never know that there was uninteresting rock underneath. Turns out that you can't make up for lack of good aquascaping with coral placement. :)

Then I had problem after problem after I moved. I had a big clam disaster, where I lost about 14 clams in 12 days. Then I lost a bunch of acros. Then a bunch of fish to Ich being introduced. Then I had a majano infestation. And then recently, the aptasia hit. I had also been fighting nuisance algaes to some small degree - that was just more annoying than anything.

I finally started changing everything - all the RO filters (brands and types), different salt, different dosing, Chloramine testing - you name it. I finally started wondering if I was fighting the rock itself - just not enough biological carrying capacity for my needs. It was a stretch, but was the only thing left.

Swapping out the rock was also a chance to remove all the majanoes.... I've since become a majano-killing freak...

So I started planning the big swap. About two months ago, I bought 250lbs of Tatoka rock from Fiji (via Sal). It's basically old pocillapora colony skeletons, but much more interseting than the carribean rock that I already had. After a bunch of planning, adding a 300g tank for my wife, two months of cycling, and adding in a little at a time, I finally got around (this past weekend) to swapping the rock out.

I pulled out all the easy corals first- the unattached ones and ones easy to pop off. Then, using the combination grinder with a tile saw attachment, a long masonry bit for my drill, and a large flathead screwdriver, I went to town on the larger corals. It took about 5 hours to get everything transferred from my main tank to the frag tank downstairs, but finally did it. I'll be able to cherry pick from my corals now. I emptied the tank down to the bottom - the only thing left was the fish and an RBTA.

Then I started to add in the Totoka rock, and here's what I got after a couple hours:

3037633391_55f5168893_o.jpg
alt="" />

New lights were pending as well (moving from two 1000w to four 400w on LumenBright mini's), so while this was happening, I decided to work on the canopy (I'll cover that in another post in this thread). When done with that, I realized the plumbing was all in the way, so I spent last night removing my beloved OceansMotions unit for a much sleeker design:

3042184765_12d7cb130b_o.jpg
alt="" />

I'm still not 100% happy with the left side, but I plan to work on that tonight. Tomorrow, the lights go back on and the corals start to go back in!

Neato. Do you like the minimal rock look? My tank is jam-packed, and I kinda like the real estate it produces, but the less rock option sure does look clean.

That's a big job Chris! Lead the way, I'm right behind you!

I too started out with TBS rock and have some very dense pieces and don't feel that I've got enough biological filtration. I've ordered some new rock and will start curing when it comes in. I'll probably be doing the rock swap sometime around Christmas! I'm soooo looking forward to it! :yuk:

glxtrix;244476 wrote: WHOO HOOOO BB!!! I know you'd come around one of these days Chris!

Chris is a very sensible guy....I'm sure he's just getting the rock the way he want's it before he adds his sand back in!

glxtrix;244487 wrote: Nah man, you got that backwards, that's sand = doodoo.....can't you read my header over my avatar?

Na, doodoo and poo are different. Poo is beneficial to a system, and encourages beneficial bacteria growth. Doodoo is like that water that drips out of a trash bag after it has been sitting out in the heat all day. Very nasty.

uhh...go buy some different kinds of rock like some flat peices and some branch rock and try again. I will come help if you want, but yeah...needs some different rock.

Barbara;244548 wrote: Lee, I'm sure Chris is just setting his rock on the bottom, and plans to put the sand in next. Chris might be a little off, but he 'aint crazy like those silly barebottom folks...

collegehumor_b7439665fe8dc1fc4d02a6.jpg
alt="" /> :huhsign:

Barbara;244459 wrote: So you did all this because you were suspicious that the rock wasn't meeting your biological needs, and to rid yourself of pest anemones (majanos and aptasia)? Seems like a lot of work, but I would love to see your results. You may start a new trend!

Yup - I'm determined to go from having an "OK" tank to an awesome tank, and I think this is necessary. Believe me - it took half a year to come to that decision and then another 2 months to actually go through with it!

You moved all your corals into your frag tank; how big is the frag tank?

It's 140g, but it's 7' long and 14" high. Even with no rock in it, it was barely big enough...

How are you going to avoid the spike from taking the established rock out and adding new? Was the new cycled somewhere?

I took a chance, but lowered my odds by doing several things:
<ol>
<li>Setup Christine's new 300g tank, plumbed into the same system - that added 300g of new water. The rock came directly from Tony's established tank, so it was cycled. I gave everything 2-3 weeks to stabilize before doing the next move.</li>
<li>I borrowed a 100g rubbermaid tub and skimmer from Keith (kwl1763) and let the 250lbs of new rock cook for a while</li>
<li>I transferred a little of the new rock into the sump every couple days - I had about half transferred in by the time I was ready</li>
<li>I'm testing everything every day</li>
<li>Lastly, I'm doing 10% (60g) water changes every other day for a while</li>
</ol>
And what did you do with the old rock?

Letting it dry out completely for a while, then I'll either sell it as dry base rock, or re-populate it in my sump and sell it as live rock.

haninja;244460 wrote: wow.
you are not going bare buttom on us, are you?

Blashphemy! :) No way!

corvettecris;244461 wrote: Neato. Do you like the minimal rock look? My tank is jam-packed, and I kinda like the real estate it produces, but the less rock option sure does look clean.

Yeah- I've started to prefer having less rock and larger corals- it just looks better in my opinion, esp. with the bigger fish swimming around in the open space.

I was first inspired by Keith's awesome tank:

20konly.jpg
alt="" />

But that was a little TOO minimilist for me... so I did a combination. I just didn't want the "pile o' rocks" or "wall o' rock" look.

Gwhiz;244462 wrote: I too started out with TBS rock and have some very dense pieces and don't feel that I've got enough biological filtration. I've ordered some new rock and will start curing when it comes in. I'll probably be doing the rock swap sometime around Christmas! I'm soooo looking forward to it! :yuk:

Yeah- you're in the same boat I was, then. I think the caribean rock is fine for baserock, as long as it's not the dominant thing in your system. Swapping out the rock wasn't fun by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm still really excited about how it's going so far.

It was messy, smelly, back breaking, and nerve racking. I swore enough for the entire Navy that day...

Gwhiz;244488 wrote: Chris is a very sensible guy....I'm sure he's just getting the rock the way he want's it before he adds his sand back in!

Bingo! :yay:

I think it looks good. I have question for you did you ever test your new rock for Phosphates? I am just curious.

Joe

I've been testing daily, and I haven't seen anything register on my salifert kits...

I'm sure you've been waiting for this question, but how much for some dry rock?

On topic note: the new aqua scape looks much better.

stickx911;244702 wrote: I'm sure you've been waiting for this question, but how much for some dry rock?

Not sure what the market for base rock is - I was thinking $2/lb.

On topic note: the new aqua scape looks much better.

Thanks! I worked on it with Tony tonight some and added most of my corals back- I think it looks even better. :D (proud parent!) I'll post a couple pics tomorrow.

I can't believe you pulled the trigger on this. I've been wanting to do the same for months now..just haven't built up the gusto to actually start it.

Looks good though; I'm sure you're going to be really happy you went through with it.

Back