The big rock swap

Tony came over last night and helped me re-do some aquascaping and place my corals. Placing corals certainly is a lot easier when you have a couple dozen colonies to choose from.

I tried to place based on current and expected size, growth patterns, visual effect, and randomization of color. I feel I have too much green in the tank, but I had a couple corals I just didn't want to let go of.

Some of my corals have browned out over the past month or so for various reasons (being moved around and different lights are the main culprits). Hopefully, they'll get some of their former glory back.

I have the lights (Reeflux 12kK bulbs in LumenBright mini reflectors) mounted in my new adjustable platform canopy, and moved them so the bulbs are 16" above the water surface. This still gives around 400 PAR at the corals in the center of the rock work directly under the bulb, so I'll need to shorten the light cycle or raise the lights even more. When I had the light on the tank on just some 2x4's, I was getting 900 and 1100 PAR at the same point - I think I'll be fine with light... :)

Click for much larger versions:

3045586571_5855fda6ee_o.jpg
>
3045586571_fd689a993e_b.jpg
alt="" /></a>

3045586235_b9c1fb48a3_o.jpg
>
3045586235_9f45d22543_b.jpg
alt="" /></a>

3045586413_56017b0663_o.jpg
>
3045586413_4ffc6d74bf_b.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Today is pretty busy, so these are just quick pics; sorry for the poor quality (I used f/1.4 and it shows on that last picture- only the ORA green pocillapora is in focus...).

In all, I'm pretty happy with the new rockwork and look. Tony made the comment that the rock was almost too</em> porous and convoluted. I needed the porosity, but I kinda agree now that the corals are in place - the rock is so busy that it almost hides the corals. Oh well... it's not coming out now! :confused2:

Yes, it still needs sand! My gigas clam, scheduled to go on the right hand side, is sick at the moment with a huge infestation of Pyramidellid snails - I'm really hoping it pulls through - I've got him in the frag tank still, meticuously picking off snails each night and nursing him the best I know how...

It's actually a Melichthys indiscus</em> (Black-finned triggerfish). Sal said it was a Hawaiian Black Durgeon trigger, and some places call it an Indian Triggerfish, so I'm not 100% sure. I'm still keeping an eye on it- some reports show it to to be non-reef safe and others are reef safe...

I can't find a small picture, but here's a better pic on
a>.

jhurdle;245038 wrote: shouldnt you be working chris?

also, that open space ont he right is for that giant clam?

Shouldn't you? :) I still get an hour break for lunch, just like everyone else! I have a lot of time where I'm waiting for things to compile, data sets to load, etc - there's a lot of gaps in my working day where I'm waiting on the computer to finish...

Yeah- the open space is for the clam - it's about 12" long at the moment...

It's held in place by the ARC "Force" - all presidents learn it during their tenure... ;)

Most of the rock is just stacked on top of each other - the Tatoka rock pretty much just interlocks as soon as you even look at it.

I got the idea to do an arch on the right hand side when I was adding rock in the tank. I stopped and whipped up this acrylic ladder to place things on, and used zip ties to hold things in place:

3037633303_abb367d85b.jpg
alt="" />

To Perry: :doh:

To everyone else: thanks for the compliments! :yes:

Here's an updated picture from this morning, although I need to get the sand under control by moving my other Tunze. Click for larger versions.

3185257432_e2762f7a1f_b.jpg
>
3185257432_e2762f7a1f_m.jpg
alt="" /></a>

3185257086_ed2434671a_b.jpg
>
3185257086_ed2434671a_m.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Chris,
I just pulled a HUGE solid rock out of my tank to put in some smaller less dense rocks. Luckily I had the rocks already from the 110 I just took down and didn't have to buy any. I wish I knew someone who needed a couple huge rocks but to be honest this stuff is just too dense. I undserstand your reasoning. I also bet you about cried when you pulled all those corals out.lol

Wow, the tank has made leaps and bounds in just the past 60 days Chris. Nice work.

Back