The main things YOU do to shorten tank maintanence?

jp30338;1067105 wrote: 2 hours a day?? Umm why? . Haven't been in the hobby long huh?

Also the only coral that could use a daily spot feeding MAYBE, would be sun corals....

Your making things hard on yourself for no reason lol

Sewer Urchin;1066979 wrote: Debbie.... what ever you do, don't ask to see his wrasse.

;-)

which one?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

jp30338;1067105 wrote: 2 hours a day?? Umm why? . Haven't been in the hobby long huh?

jp30338;1067106 wrote: Also the only coral that could use a daily spot feeding MAYBE, would be sun corals....

Your making things hard on yourself for no reason lol

She has been at it long enough to have one of the nicer tanks around. She also has learned how to offer suggestions instead of immature, condescending comments. I haven't;)

grouper therapy;1067120 wrote: She has been at it long enough to have one of the nicer tanks around. She also has learned how to offer suggestions instead of immature, condescending comments. I haven't;)

:lol2:

grouper therapy;1067120 wrote: She has been at it long enough to have one of the nicer tanks around. She also has learned how to offer suggestions instead of immature, condescending comments. I haven't;)

Thanks Dave, appreciate your kind words and having my back. I feel better now ignoring him :)

Crew, yup your right bigger skimmer is a given and that looks killer!
Just hadn't thought about it since mine pulls such nice black gunk every week. I've got more room in my sump than I thought. Thanks!

Ralph, beautiful!

One day I hope to be feeding large foods to large wrasse! I think I've finially got my tank safe to keep them in it now. I'm going to try again, I've got two on hold (under watch) at LFS to pick up this week :)
Currently, I feed tons of tiny foods for corals and average fish foods. I can't imagine feeding both large and small food that much :unsure:

LSU_fishFan;1066818 wrote: I also love the Tunze care magnet

I'm also using bio pellets in both my tanks, and am able to maintain low nitrates and phosphates, in one tank NO3 is about 3ppm and the other is around 1ppm. I have almost no algae problems, except for some caulrepa that hitchhiked and doesn't want to leave

Do you think I should change to bio pellets instead of GFO? Seems like more people use bio pellets! I
don't have an algae problem but I think it's because of my large water changes and excessive filtering.
Thanks

GFO sure dirties up your socks. At the last meeting they talked about how the GFO residue will shorten the life of your powerheads and pumps. I was running it during my last hair algae problem and have since stopped.

Catgirl29;1067147 wrote: GFO sure dirties up your socks. At the last meeting they talked about how the GFO residue will shorten the life of your powerheads and pumps. I was running it during my last hair algae problem and have since stopped.

I went to that meeting but was distracted in the beginning and must've missed discussion if you're talking about the one at Premier aquatics?

So have you decided you're not gonna run GFO in your 60?

After that meeting, I switched to Phosbond, which is doing ok. Was thinking of switching to biopellets in both tanks (supplemented with Microbacter 7) for consistency. With Phosbond, I still get some staining on the socks.

I used an Apex DOS for AWC. Reservoirs setup in garage on opposite side of wall from the tank. Small water changes made throughout the day. That was a life saver after my neck surgery. I also ditched filter socks except for when I felt like I needed a little polishing. Ran a UV which did seem to lessen the amount of glass scraping that was required. Dosed kalk in my ATO(sorry Grouper!) and ran a calcium reactor.

My maintenance really came down to keeping kalk and water in my ATO, mixing up fresh salt water in the garage about once a month, emptying out the old salt water brute once a month(wheels helped), and then feeding. I'd do a quick sand bed vacuum every other month, or so lol!

Camellia;1067156 wrote: Staining? Isn't your system pretty new?

I need to go look at your build thread I guess, lol

I don't know what "new" is in the hobby but the 60 has been up for 9 months (bought tank at the end of May). I've had the 30 since October - maybe that's what you're thinking of. Neither system was really new. Brought both tanks home with some water and all the rock in them. Each went through a small cycle but I was buying someone else's experience, coral and sometimes fish as well.

Back