The new T5 like LED: Euroquatics E5

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
Just came across this new product that has recently been introduced at Reef-A-Palooza. It's a led lamp that has a similar shape to a T5 lamp, and is compatible with T5 fixtures. The E5 is supposedly just as powerful as T5 lamps without the heat associated. The light also claims a 45% reduction in energy compared to T5s. To top it off, Euroquatics claims the lights have an 8 year life span.

Marine Depot has an exclusive sell of these lights which are retailing at $69.99 for a 4' bulb. They also have a 2', 3', and 5' lamp retailing at $49.99, $59.99, and $79.99 respectively. There are 5 colors currently availible including; warm daylight(6K), daylight(10K), cool daylight(15K), blue pop(450-460nm), and a marine pink color.

What do you guys think about this light? Would you consider trying them out? At $70/bulb and claims of lasting 8 years, this would definitely be more cost efficient than T5s.

Here are some links so you can get more info
http://reefbuilders.com/2015/10/13/hands-euroquatics-e5-led-tube-replacement-t5ho-fixtures/">http://reefbuilders.com/2015/10/13/hands-euroquatics-e5-led-tube-replacement-t5ho-fixtures/</a>
[IMG]http://blog.marinedepot.com/2015/10/euroquatics-e5-lamps-to-replace-old-t5ho-florescent-bulbs.html">http://blog.marinedepot.com/2015/10/euroquatics-e5-lamps-to-replace-old-t5ho-florescent-bulbs.html</a>

I have these under my tank in the stand and over my sump, no heat, very bright light, been working well for my macro's so far, been running about 6-7 months so far.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1064169 wrote: I have these under my tank in the stand and over my sump, no heat, very bright light, been working well for my macro's so far, been running about 6-7 months so far.

Really?
I thought these on,y hit the market in the past few months.

they have been out for awhile in a different market just like everything else, the fish trade just adapted it and market the technology.

"T5 LEDs" have been out for at least a 2-3 years now. If not more like 4+ years. Just do a google search on T5 LEDs and you will get hundreds of hits.

I know some of the early ones to come out people have said aren't worth it at all... while they are saving on bulb replacements and a little bit on the power bill they just weren't producing the color and spectrum to really compare them to a traditional T5 bulbs.

Recently though it seems there are a handful of companies such as Euroaquatics that have put some real time and effort into making these actual worth while replacements. I still think it's going to be hard to directly compare any LED to a Fluorescent Bulb. Not saying that these Euroaquatic E5s aren't good replacements... they are just always going to produce a different light in the end. Claims of them lasting 8 years sounds about right considering quality LED nodes last 10+ years.

Also consider if your doing lets say a 4 Bulb unit... that is $70x4 = $280. That is a decent ways towards just buying an LED fixture that arguably would be stronger and packed with a lot more features then an old T5 fixture.

Either way I would definitely be interested in seeing some initial feed back on these. And possible some direct comparison pictures between these and traditional T5 Bulbs.

Jakub

cd's and dvd's were around for years used by the government before it was made available to the public.

I haven't had any over the DT or the frag tank but like I said I have 2 different color spectrum over the fuge and have had good growth.

aXio;1064172 wrote: "T5 LEDs" have been out for at least a 2-3 years now. If not more like 4+ years. Just do a google search on T5 LEDs and you will get hundreds of hits.

I know some of the early ones to come out people have said aren't worth it at all... while they are saving on bulb replacements and a little bit on the power bill they just weren't producing the color and spectrum to really compare them to a traditional T5 bulbs.

Recently though it seems there are a handful of companies such as Euroaquatics that have put some real time and effort into making these actual worth while replacements. I still think it's going to be hard to directly compare any LED to a Fluorescent Bulb. Not saying that these Euroaquatic E5s aren't good replacements... they are just always going to produce a different light in the end. Claims of them lasting 8 years sounds about right considering quality LED nodes last 10+ years.

Also consider if your doing lets say a 4 Bulb unit... that is $70x4 = $280. That is a decent ways towards just buying an LED fixture that arguably would be stronger and packed with a lot more features then an old T5 fixture.

Either way I would definitely be interested in seeing some initial feed back on these. And possible some direct comparison pictures between these and traditional T5 Bulbs.

Jakub
I agree that it's almost enought to go ahead and buy a led fixture. But, for someone with a t5 fixture setup or laying around, it could be a cool upgrade.

Back