These prices...SINCE WHEN??

Sun1914

Reaction score
Just getting back into the hobby as of recently and Im also new to GA . Not sure if this is state related of its the hobby as a whole but when did Hippo tangs and yellow tangs become so damn expensive? Saw some today for 140 dollars!! The cheapest I've seen since in Georgia has been 90 for a small one....what??? Since when???

Prices are crazy for them I believe it’s due to corona mostly but I live in Woodstock but go to Nemo all the way in Duluth and things are so much cheaper for small tangs are 60 for mostly any type. All fish in general really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prices are crazy for them I believe it’s due to corona mostly but I live in Woodstock but go to Nemo all the way in Duluth and things are so much cheaper for small tangs are 60 for mostly any type. All fish in general really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I havent been there yet. I'll stop by there tomorrow.

Shop around. Ive seen wild fluctuations in prices from store to store even b4 cov19. Save yourself some time and call all the lfs and ask over the phone. Surprisingly petco maintains a pretty steady price around 50 bux for a small yellow tang if in stock. Just call around

the rona has driven everything up man. Give it time and it will eventually go down. I recently saw small purple tangs going for around 450 bucks. Coral prices are going up as well

I understand but disagree. Many people keep saying that corona has driven the prices of everything up. But I’ve noticed the prices of many things go down.

However, if the prevailing belief is that the price of something will increase, then it almost always will. That’s economics for ya.

I understand but disagree. Many people keep saying that corona has driven the prices of everything up. But I’ve noticed the prices of many things go down.

However, if the prevailing belief is that the price of something will increase, then it almost always will. That’s economics for ya.
I have noticed a couple sources have remained similar if not cheaper while even through those sources some things have gone up. I’m sure the virus has effected the price on some things while others I have to wondered if they were artificially inflated

Supply /demand usually dictates prices, yellow tangs in Hong Kong are $200- $300 where purple tangs are $100 or even less.
Give it time, prices will come down again.

As an importer the costs on shipping have tripled and quadrupled. Example. 12 boxes of LED's shipping DHL, to me from China in a week was $980 pre-COVID, post-COVID $3300 for those same 12 boxes. It is not COVID, it is the fact the flights have dropped, DHL would hop on any flight from china to USA that had open cargo room, less flights = not as many options for them to just toss a box on. So we ship everything via ship now, those costs have gone up about 50%, so not 3 to 4x's like air freight. I have hardware so it would be hard for me to just raise the prices, so I ate them and changed our model and now go by ship, so when I get that bill that is 50% more its far better than 3/4x's more with DHL. I get a boat every 2 weeks to keep up with demand, it is roughly 30 days from date of leaving China to Port of LA, then 2 days to get to my door step.

Corals/Fish - Same issue, not as many flights for corals to come over, so those costs have gone up over 2/3x's, if you think for 1 minute any of the LFS are going to eat those costs please think again. That is why the costs of yellow tangs are now the new price of the old purple tang, and purple tangs are 1/2 the cost of gem tangs. The only country that was shipping without delays was Australia that is why you saw so many Aussie corals and fish still on the market without prices going up that much. That has changed now, they are still shipping more frequently than Indo and other areas, but nonetheless the prices have gone up some.

As an importer the costs on shipping have tripled and quadrupled. Example. 12 boxes of LED's shipping DHL, to me from China in a week was $980 pre-COVID, post-COVID $3300 for those same 12 boxes. It is not COVID, it is the fact the flights have dropped, DHL would hop on any flight from china to USA that had open cargo room, less flights = not as many options for them to just toss a box on. So we ship everything via ship now, those costs have gone up about 50%, so not 3 to 4x's like air freight. I have hardware so it would be hard for me to just raise the prices, so I ate them and changed our model and now go by ship, so when I get that bill that is 50% more its far better than 3/4x's more with DHL. I get a boat every 2 weeks to keep up with demand, it is roughly 30 days from date of leaving China to Port of LA, then 2 days to get to my door step.

Corals/Fish - Same issue, not as many flights for corals to come over, so those costs have gone up over 2/3x's, if you think for 1 minute any of the LFS are going to eat those costs please think again. That is why the costs of yellow tangs are now the new price of the old purple tang, and purple tangs are 1/2 the cost of gem tangs. The only country that was shipping without delays was Australia that is why you saw so many Aussie corals and fish still on the market without prices going up that much. That has changed now, they are still shipping more frequently than Indo and other areas, but nonetheless the prices have gone up some.

But - shipping is FREE everywhere I see it online. :D

(one of my e-commerce pet peeves)

This is the truth. Most people don't understand just how much gets got shipped in the belly of commercial flights. I'd bet international flights haven't even gotten back to 10% of what they were pre-Covid, domestic either for that matter. There's an inbound flight path to Hartsfield that goes pretty much over Lake Lanier. Sitting on my deck at most any time of the day I'd hear a plane go by every 40 seconds or so. Now it's 40 minutes or more and at night it's almost nonexistent.
It's also had a huge impact on ocean freight.

But - shipping is FREE everywhere I see it online. :D

(one of my e-commerce pet peeves)
There's a big difference between free ground freight and air freight. While UPS, FedEx & Amazon have seen a bit of an up tick in ground business the Air volume on their planes has shot up tremendously because all the other, previous, options are not available. If there is anything going on the few commercial flights the wait to get on one is the killer. It's either wait or pay through the nose.

+2 Nemo. Simon is great. One of the best places to shop for your aquarium livestock and supplies. One of my powerheads stopped working and I needed an inexpensive one to tide me over until the original came back from repair. I got a decent Jebao powerhead without waiting for 2 day shipping from amazon. I still have it as a backup when needed. Check out the Lilburn store too.

I’m going to create a separate post on a similar topic. I have never seen prices like they are now. Plus, and my real issue, is everyone has dropped their policy on fish deaths. If a fish dies with 24-48 hours you used to be able to get an exchange or something. Now that’s totally gone which is not cool. I am stocking right now and I’ve had 3 deaths where the fish started dying in 24 hours and everything else in my tank is great as are the parameters. Not sure how I want to proceed at this point. Best advice I can give is buy from fellow reefers.

I’m going to create a separate post on a similar topic. I have never seen prices like they are now. Plus, and my real issue, is everyone has dropped their policy on fish deaths. If a fish dies with 24-48 hours you used to be able to get an exchange or something. Now that’s totally gone which is not cool. I am stocking right now and I’ve had 3 deaths where the fish started dying in 24 hours and everything else in my tank is great as are the parameters. Not sure how I want to proceed at this point. Best advice I can give is buy from fellow reefers.

The only problem with that advise is it severely limits selection. Most likely fellow refers have bought them from a LFS or on line. Its a crap shoot just like buying coral, sometimes they die. Just find a source you have good luck with and stick with them, some god suggestion for fellow club members above. I have bought most of my fish from local LFS and have had some for 4-5 years now, also a couple of tangs from Live Aquaria about 3-4 years ago and they are doing well.

I would recommend trying a different store if the last 3 you bought all didn't make it. Sometimes some hobbyist don't provide the best husbandry or have a situation in their tank (hard for a store to offer a guarantee in that light as so many parameters can be off or not doing proper acclimation). I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing . Some stores put more time and effort in quarantining fish and coral and charge more for doing so. In those cases you get what you pay for. Nothing is cheap in this hobby nor should it be.

I have had some good success with couple online stores. You can get what your want as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Back