Thinking about a new skimmer

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I currently have a Coralife 125 Skimmer on a 90 tank with a large sump. I probably have around 115 total gallons.

Despite adding reactors and cutting way back on feeding I'm still having a lot of problems with hair algae and possibly cyano.

Is there a skimmer in the $200 (Reef Octopus?) range that might be a better choice. I'm thinking that the CL 125.

Your skimmer isn't the problem with cyano and algae, you need to find the source of the phophates to battle those issues.

But almost anything is going to be a giant leap from your Coralife skimmer. I have an SRO2000 and find it runs inconstantly but does pull some nasty stuff when the neck is cleaned regularly.

I agree with the above... you can almost just go with more frequent water changes and do better than that skimmer will do.

Chemiclean will rid you of cyano, and works well, but like Sean said you need to find the source and eliminate it.

B

It's weird because I got Nitrates and PO4 down to barely detectible levels after I started running reactors.

I have the SRO XP1000SSS with the bubble blaster 2000 pump and have been happy with the performance. I had the coral life skimmer on my 90 before I got the RO. Big differance. The thing I like about the SSS model is it fits well in the sump (super space saver).

Ditch the coralife, you can buy a used skimmer for < $200 easily

The SCA 302 is fir a 180 gallon and new in amazon is about 140.00 if I remember correctly. Im very happy with mine.

This is what I use on my 75 only because I already had it. It rocks but for your 90 I would go up a notch to the Nwb 400. They are great skimmers.

a>

I run a Reef Octopus NWB110 on my 110G and this thing is amazing, only thing to describe it. :shades: O yea, and I got it second hand for like 100$.

Back