Thinking of going barebottom

ace1204

Market
Reaction score
Im talking about not using sand in a tank guys come on now lol, So what are all they benefits/drawbacks, first barebottom will be one of my 30gal cubes just to see how it goes. I know Lee is gonna be a little biased on this one but i want urs and everyones opinions lol. Thanks

I've done it once about 5 years ago. The only thing that I can remember that was bad, is that it looks awful after a while. What kind of fish would you have in it?

My 125 is barebottom right now. It look's completely unnatural,but it does have some advantages.No sandstorms,you can take a powerhead and blow off the bottom to suspend all the detritus.FWIW, My next tank will have sand.

I have and have had bb for a few years now. I love it. It's all up to the person.

It's too unnatural for me; reefs have sand!

Barebottoms belong in one place, and they check ID there ;)

I thought about it for a long, long time too and read all of the BB threads on RC. And the reason why I wanted BB is the freakin sand got so ugly with red slime and detrius-my nitrates were bad.

But now, I am so glad I didn't do it. I kept doing water changes, added chaeto, and regular vacuuming of the detrius in the sump keeps the nitrates in check.

So the point is the whiter sand looks so nice in the tank when it is clean. It's natural looking and am so glad I didn't go BB. I think BB looks sterile and odd. There is one tank that I saw that was gorgeous because it was artistically sculptural-he used minimal branching rock and it looked suspended. Very cool!

So don't go BB because of the ugly sand if that is why you are thinking about it. If you like the look of BB, then go for it.

I have both and like them both. The sand looks better especially when taking pictures. The bare bottom seems easer to keep clean no algae problems at all in the bare bottom tank. Wish I could say them same for the other.

Quote"It's too unnatural for me" "Barebottoms belong in one place, and they check ID there"

That place is also full of unnatural things that are nice to look at.:yes:

Joe

<span style="color: black;">I had BB for a while, but the tank I am currently putting up will have 1'' of fine reef sand.</span>

<span style="color: black;">BB doesn't necessarily make life any easier, and it can be an eye sore. I was never the one sucking and blowing fish crap from underneath rocks and corals. So any benefit of BB was lost in that respect. Also, you will eventually build up a lot of odious detritus if you are lazy, and there will be no bacteria to clean it up-as there would be a tank with sand. </span>

<span style="color: black;">There was no issue with pH. I find not having a sand bed makes pH as stable if not more than tanks with sand bed.</span>

<span style="color: black;">Minus the beneficial bacteria and coral food from having sand, I was actually worse off with the BB setup.</span>

<span style="color: black;">Eventually I felt bad for the poor hermit crabs that get blown away when they try to get food in the middle of the tank, having to craw on glass to get there and have the meal swept away by the extreme currents that is so characteristic of BB tanks.</span>

<span style="color: black;">Have Sand, Live Better – that is my conclusion</span>

eh, i just cant see how it would look pleasing to the eye, not to mention all the algea, and..um, isnt sand or some kinda bottom really key for nitrogen exchange? I dunno, i wouldn't do it just for looks, let alone the other problems

I'm surprised Lee hasn't joined in yet... :)

Pros: easier to maintain, cleaner system, arguably easier to place powerheads b/c you don't have to worry about sand

Cons: it looks unnatural

My take? Yes, it's cleaner to run BB, but I could also keep my coral in a white plastic bucket, and it'd be clean. I put them into a tank with rocks, sand, and fish so I could have a more natural-looking tank. Some tradeoffs aren't worth it, and to me, this one is one of them.

Skriz;200322 wrote: It's too unnatural for me; reefs have sand!

Barebottoms belong in one place, and they check ID there ;)

Ya many tens of feet deep, do you do that in your tank? Is your bioload 1 fish per 1500 gallons as typical in a reef area? Do you have 1000 par 2 ft deep in your reef.

Not much we do actually matches a reef!

I love my barebottom and will never have sand in an SPS tank again. I have had all kinds DSB, SSB, barebottom. They all have their place.

Back