Thoughts on Kole Tang?

weaglereefer

Market
Reaction score
Local LFS got one of these in by mistake. Employees wouldn't sell it to me without their boss' consent at the "assorted Tang" price of $23.99 so I had them hold it for me overnight. He was about 4" long, looked very healthy and active, and it's on the list of Tangs I wanted, so I'm thinking I may go pick him up after class tomorrow. Anyone have any experience with them? He was really nice looking, more maroon/white than brown/white with nice yellow rings on the eyes, non-tattered fins, just a nice looking fish and hopefully a good deal. Whatcha think? :up: :unsure: :boo:

au01st;356231 wrote: Local LFS got one of these in by mistake. Employees wouldn't sell it to me without their boss' consent at the "assorted Tang" price of $23.99 so I had them hold it for me overnight. He was about 4" long, looked very healthy and active, and it's on the list of Tangs I wanted, so I'm thinking I may go pick him up after class tomorrow. Anyone have any experience with them? He was really nice looking, more maroon/white than brown/white with nice yellow rings on the eyes, non-tattered fins, just a nice looking fish and hopefully a good deal. Whatcha think? :up: :unsure: :boo:

We got one during the Marine Fish sale. He's all personality, but he's also the most active fish in our tank. I don't think he ever stops moving. Also, he sleeps nose down behind a rock by the overflow.

He eats flake spirulina and algae wafers very well.:up:

They love established tanks. These guys will graze for days. Just like a blennie you will see it's mouth prints on your glass

DrNecropolis;356233 wrote: A lot of times they have a poor survival rate in the home aquaria..

Really? Everything I've read so far says they're relatively hardy for a Tang.

Out of the 3 I have tried all have died.. I think it depends on where they are coming from and how they are collected (as with any fish) the 3 I lost never would eat.. No matter what I tried just wouldn't eat..

au01st;356236 wrote: Really? Everything I've read so far says they're relatively hardy for a Tang.

We haven't had any trouble with ours - he started eating right away and is very healthy and fat. He did freak me out at first, because his color changed dramatically the first day (got very pale colored) and I thought he had ich, but it was just the face polka dots. Once he got over the stress of the move to the QT tank, he colored back up within 24 hours.

I read they are prone to ich, but we didn't see any signs with ours. Just be sure to QT.

That's cuz Doc feeds them bologna sandwiches
Just kidding- nobody do this

He was eating off a sheet of nori in his tank at the store, and he's been in there for 2 weeks, so I was told. Since I know the store gets deliveries on Thursdays, I know he's been in there at least a week and still had great colors. I'm still wondering why I would be the first one to try to buy it.

It's pretty common and not really that sought after as far as a must have for most just as it wasn't on your list. The ones I have seen doing well at the lfs are poster fish for awesome healthy tangs.

No, it was on my list of possibles. I just like the red/maroon color this one had. Would he have problems getting along with a Purple Tang or Powder Brown?

If the powder brown is added after the kole it would probably be fine depending on space

I just thought they would like bologna.. The cat and dogs do.. Figured the fish might also.. Even had the cheese in it..

DrNecropolis;356253 wrote: I just thought they would like bologna.. The cat and dogs do.. Figured the fish might also.. Even had the cheese in it..

Your mistake was weaning them off bologna and starting them on olive loaf.

I had a kole years ago when I was just starting and knew nothing. I loved the fish and he was full of character. Unfortunately he met his demise due to someone pouring at least one beer probably more into my tank while I was out of town. It was sad day and it's safe to say I don't talk to any of those people anymore. Overall good fish and I will purchase another one after I move to Fla in a few months

Alright, well depending on what price they tell me tomorrow I may have this guy in QT later in the morning! Guess I need to go make some water for a water change.

Have you looked into tomini tangs there a great tang for the aquarium...

Back