Thoughts on Thomas Vision's study?

nickh06

Market
Reaction score
Anyone check out Thomas's latest posts and videos on his fb regarding frozen food containing mercury and or phosphates? I was going to try some new food today but almost want to get a few tested to see the results for myself. As much as this food costs they should really do a better job. I am guessing that LRS and Rods is on the list that were tested. Thoughts?

I am also interested in which food he is referring to. I can't think of a third food that would be in his test.

Frozen stuff is ... Most of the time REALLY NASTY. You can rinse it 3-4 times before the run off water is clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a pretty interesting watch! Thats why I prefer live. You know whats going in the water.

Not saying the clad are false but without verifiable proof I would hate to see a company suffer as a result.

Him and I are facebook friends, yet I don't see what you are talking about? link?

I believe the test results came from an independent lab and are not results that Thomas came up with. He's just reporting what the lab found.

porpoiseaquatics;1028049 wrote: I believe the test results came from an independent lab and are not results that Thomas came up with. He's just reporting what the lab found.

I understand that but he says he can't post the lab results or name the university. In my mind, it would have been more responsible to wait for the permission to include that information before making public claims.

Makes me think of a Senator claiming on the Senate floor that a Presidential candidate didn't pay taxes. No proof or evidence. Then, 3 years later admitting it was made up but he is not sorry he said it because "it worked didn't it?"

didn't he say he can't mention the co name due to maybe getting sued (not mattering if wrong or right, still costs $$$)?

1mbrews8;1028227 wrote: didn't he say he can't mention the co name due to maybe getting sued (not mattering if wrong or right, still costs $$$)?

Yeah, he said that he doesn't have permission to release the results of the study that was done from the university that did it. He recommends getting your food tested independently to see for your self.
From what I have read, a lot of people in the industry are upset for what he did. It's one thing to have trace amounts of mercury in sea food but off the chart levels that are not safe for humans is another story imo. Only Thomas is 100% sure what foods were tested but If I had to guess I would say they were the top (most popular) brands of frozen out there.

I believe he is talking about reef frenzy , because Bill Wann keeps posting videos about how his fish are doing great even though there is supposably mercury in the food.

As seen here

profile.php

mattgee87;1028249 wrote: I believe he is talking about reef frenzy , because Bill Wann keeps posting videos about how his fish are doing great even though there is supposably mercury in the food.

As seen here

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000347589990&fref=ts">https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000347589990&fref=ts</a>[/QUOTE]

BINGO!

Plus, Thomas did show levels of phosphates in the lab results also. This "said brand" claims there are no phosphates. The Mercury thing, I thing was as much of a shock to him as anyone else.

Regardless of "how" he made the whistleblower, he knew he was going to be in the firing range for it. Honestly, in every situation in life, we always can think of ways we could've done better. I see Thomas's careful attempt and I feel he tried real hard to toe the line. He's got my respect.

Sn4k33y3z;1028307 wrote: BINGO!

Plus, Thomas did show levels of phosphates in the lab results also. This "said brand" claims there are no phosphates. The Mercury thing, I thing was as much of a shock to him as anyone else.

Regardless of "how" he made the whistleblower, he knew he was going to be in the firing range for it. Honestly, in every situation in life, we always can think of ways we could've done better. I see Thomas's careful attempt and I feel he tried real hard to toe the line. He's got my respect.

Well said! I just got done reading the press release from LRS...

Sn4k33y3z;1028356 wrote: Where can I read this?

Right here...... Taken from Larry's Reef Service Facebook Page.

PRESS RELEASE: Please share to help educate fellow hobbyists.

Three days ago someone claiming to be a “public figure” in our industry posted comments on social media that he commissioned a study of the “top 3 frozen fish foods”, a study that found one food to be higher in mercury and phosphates. None of the foods were named, the method of testing was not identified, nor were the results of the study presented. Making public, unsubstantiated claims about a study no one is allowed to see is not only unprofessional and reckless, but clearly an attention grab. The individual claiming to have this information recently produced a youtube video promoting another frozen fish food company which calls into question the validity and timing of this top secret study. LRS was never named directly but cryptic comments revealed words like “probiotics” and other significant clues which, along with a recent falling out between LRS and the original poster, made it appear we could be the intended target. We may never no for sure which foods were tested since all the comments were removed from the Facebook page on 4-20-15.

In response, numerous well respected names in our hobby contacted us to offer their expertise in debunking these allegations of EXTREMELY high amounts of toxic mercury in the suspected food. (10,000x higher than even the most fish in the sea could possibly contain!). As has been made clear by many, mercury is a naturally occurring constituent of seawater and thus, present in all forms of seafood. There has not been a single study indicating that mercury consumed by aquarium fish has any negative effects. For more detailed information, please read the attached article by Ret Talbot on this issue.

Since all living tissue contains phosphorus it should be a forgone conclusion that any natural frozen food derived from living tissue would also contain phosphate. Our foods contain naturally occurring phosphates which are a necessary component for some biological processes and are found in animal tissue.
Phosphates have been explained on my website FAQ page for years (ReefFrenzy.com, click the FAQ tab.)

All of the fresh ingredients used in our foods are human grade and come from the supplier delivering seafoods served in many restaurants in our city. Being that all seafood contains mercury in some amount, stating an aquarium food has an “estimated” higher level of mercury than the FDA guidelines for human consumption is ridiculous because not only was the result estimated, but we have no way to review the "study" or test results because the individual has not shared even a redacted version of the results.

We have spent enormous amounts of time researching with the brightest minds in the industry to ensure our foods are superior in every way possible. Clearly the results in numerous breeding trials, aquaculture programs, labs, and hobbyist testimonials speak to the quality of our products. If anyone ever discovers anything that could improve our foods we welcome them to share that information with us. LRS has always strived for transparency in our social media posts regarding our commitment to creating the highest quality food possible. As required by regulatory agencies our foods are laboratory tested and the guaranteed analysis is posted on the rear of every package. Prior to this incident we never had a reason to test our foods for mercury or any of the other elements naturally occurring in seafood since no studies have shown that FDA regulations regarding humans ingesting mercury has any parallels to aquarium inhabitants.

We would like to thank all those who contacted us to freely share their expertise and time. The unsolicited outpouring of support is greatly appreciated. We only hope that this unsubstantiated "lab test" hasn't caused undue alarm or stress to our loyal customer base.

a>

Sn4k33y3z;1028307 wrote: BINGO!

Plus, Thomas did show levels of phosphates in the lab results also. This "said brand" claims there are no phosphates.

Are we still talking about LRS? Under FAQ on their website it states there ARE phosphates in the food, as there are in any food. It just claims they try to reduce excess phosphates.

Let me clarify something incase anyone is wondering. I got to know Larry when setting up our January meeting. I also got to know Thomas when he interviewed me about reef clubs. Both are great people I consider friends. I respect both for what they have accomplished in this industry. Therefore, my comments are unbiased either way and reflect what my thoughts would be if I didn't know either of them.

As I said earlier, I think it would have been best to wait until facts could be presented before publishing this. Just my opinion.

Finally had a minute to follow the link that was included in LRS press release. It is an Article by Ret Talbot of Coral Magazine. Well worth the read and debunks much, if not all, the heat aria around this issue. I would highly recommend taking the time to read it.

Yeah I read it a few times. I think Thomas got his point across - get your food tested and watch what you put in your tank. That's how I interpreted it. It will be interesting to see if more research goes into this.

Back