Time for sps

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
Ok folks,
I have waited long enough, I'm a very patient person so when I say it's time, it's time.
I'm very pleased with the success of my tank up to present and since it's time to change t5 bulbs, I have decided to introduce some sps to the mix and looking for some advice on what I would call confidence builders(easy sps).
I have had a few frags of sps in the tank for a few months to see how they would do and they actual look better than when I put then in, with growth.
The tank has also supported monti's and chalice very well so I'm referring more to sticks for a different look.
What would be your recommendation on beginners sps sticks.
Thanks in advance.

I have that semi big colony of sour apple green birdsnest that would look a lot happier in your tank

I've got a red monti plate frag if you want it. They're pretty fast growers.

HiImSean;991129 wrote: I've got a red monti plate frag if you want it. They're pretty fast growers.

Thanks Sean,
But I have one that is 100x's bigger than when it went in, it was one of my test piece and a successful one at that.

bcrueter;991123 wrote: I have that semi big colony of sour apple green birdsnest that would look a lot happier in your tank

Brandon my friend,
Maybe I'll take you up on that, but as of right now I'm just looking for recommendations to do some research on, then decided which to put in play.

Confidence builder would definitely be an orange branching digi. Mine was in the sand back corner of the tank before I realized it was growing... Kept putting it in all my non prime spots and it just kept growing. Figured out what I was doing and it exploded. That piece gave me confidence to branch out so to speak. :)

MYREEFCLUB0070;991130 wrote: Thanks Sean,
But I have one that is 100x's bigger than when it went in, it was one of my test piece and a successful one at that.

No problem. I may be fragging up a green slimer here shortly, if I do I'll hook ya up.

Sean, if you frag please let me know. I'd be interested in one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Green slimer, tri color, red planet, some of the ORA stuff seems to do pretty well with reasonable care and stability

Are forest fire digitata easy to grow. It seems like to would be a nice sps to have.

JC_k;991176 wrote: Are forest fire digitata easy to grow. It seems like to would be a nice sps to have.

It is easy to grow, digitata would be a good one as well as satosta and Stylo. Although I wouldn't nessarilly call them sticks!

I wish I new who the guy was (lived by Brookstone) that gave me a 1/2" frag of green digitata a few years back. Today it's beautiful about 5" x 4" and resembles a bonsai tree!

There's a SUPER bright red Setosta that's really nice, hardy and grows fast. What I do with these types of corals is turn them occasionally to encourage unusual growth patterns.

Any of the digis are really easy to grow. I kind of followed a pattern from montis, then birdsnest, then stylos, to hardier acros, and finally to deep water acros. Once I felt completely competent on keeping them, I just started getting whatever.

It depends on your dedication. My first sps was a browned maricultured Acropora lokani piece from LA:DD. It eventually started to turn red/purple 'ish. I kept it for approximately 8 months then sold it. It was surprising easy to me to keep as I evolved more into the hobby.

I'd suggest several colored digi's, couple stylo's, couple birds nests you like. Maybe an easy acro or 2. Personally i've had a hard time with red planet. I think if you go acro, get a good staghorn, they seem to grow well and be more forgiving from what i've seen. I know I've killed corals six ways to sunday and the ones I listed above have survived it all and grown for the most part.

thanks guys,
all the advice sounds on track with my research, so i guess i get a few pieces and see how they do over the next few months.
gona have to do a little tank remodel, move some stuff around to direct some high flow on the sps.
i never really fed my corals, does anyone with lots of sps feed special stuff, if at all?

MYREEFCLUB0070;991428 wrote: i never really fed my corals, does anyone with lots of sps feed special stuff, if at all?

I broadcast feed oyster feast 5-6 times a week and half dose Fuel another 5-6 days. I haven't had to do anything else yet since I'm getting pretty good response from that.

Back