Took some PAR Readings -- Not very encouraging

geno

Market
Reaction score
Thanks to AndyMan, I was able to take some PAR readings today. My light is a 72" Outer Orbit with 3 150 MH DE bulbs (plus Actinics). So I can't put in large bulbs in this fixture.

I was hoping to try my hand at some SPS corals -- but I don't feel very encouraged by the following readings.

Top = 1300
Middle = 260
Bottom = 70

Was thinking of trying a 14k bulb rather than the 20k I'm using -- but not sure I'll see enough difference.

Any thoughts?
-geno

Sounds in line with our discussion. The monti's will be fine in the 150+ range.

And depending on your rock structure you could get up to 400 or so in the upper section of the water column.

Eww, that's a hardcore drop off. I don't think the 14k will help. I could be wrong though. How's your surface disruption?

Throw some Phoenix 14k bulbs on and take readings again. Those bulbs are great in the 150w flavor.

There's a fair amount of surface agitation -- not like waves, just some small ripples generated by the returns.

Guess, I'll be happy with my softies -- and lust after all the other beautiful reef tanks you guys have.

I really want some more color -- I could go with more zoos -- how about Rics -- do they need much light?

You can do sps, just keep them higher in the tank.

Also, what bulbs are you using?

Don't scold me -- but my last purchase was from the following

http://www.lightexports.com/servlet/StoreFront">http://www.lightexports.com/servlet/StoreFront</a>

The bulb name is Plusrite. I did a lot or reading on RC about others who had used this bulb. Most of the comments were favorable -- so I thought I'd give them a try. They are about 6 months old.

geno;548212 wrote: Don't scold me -- but my last purchase was from the following

http://www.lightexports.com/servlet/StoreFront">http://www.lightexports.com/servlet/StoreFront</a>

The bulb name is Plusrite. I did a lot or reading on RC about others who had used this bulb. Most of the comments were favorable -- so I thought I'd give them a try. They are about 6 months old.[/QUOTE]

There's your problem. Buy some quality bulbs and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

Just to throw out something interesting..if you want a more accurate and honest review of that bulb, you'd have to charge more for it and then ask. Studies show that when people pay a very low amount for something, they'll give it a more favorable rating.

try a 10k Ab, 10kUshio, or maybe even the phoenix for a instant par increase. That'll help ya anyway.

surprised no one asked how far the fixture is off the water? From those numbers and using 150W lamps I'm guessing ~6-8".

Just to throw out something interesting..if you want a more accurate and honest review of that bulb, you'd have to charge more for it and then ask. Studies show that when people pay a very low amount for something, they'll give it a more favorable rating.

Probably true -- the value proposition comes into play here, i.e. what you get for what you pay.

I need the results of PAR readings from other brands. I think I've read of a guy named Sanjay (sp) that may have some data.

I tried Plusrite brand bulbs. Looked like someone peed in my tank, not happy at all with them. Roommate ended up using them for target practice with his bb gun.

Geno, I wouldn't focus too much into which bulb will give you the most par. The colour of the bulb is more important, imo, as this is what you're going to see. If you don't like what the tank looks like, what's the point?

If you like the 20kk look, look into one of the better 20kk bulbs and go with it. The phoenix 14kk and reeflux 12kk are essentially 20kk bulbs with a lower designation. I'd look at those, Radium 20kk and even the xm 20kk.

I loved my Radiums in 150 DE, just not enough par. I'm now using 2, 400 watt Radiums.

I agree with Raj mostly, however, if the coral won't live, what's the point?

here is Sanjay's link:

a>

I agree that color is important -- and I'm not dissatisfied with the color I get from the bulbs I'm using -- in fact they don't look any different to me than the Phoenix bulbs I replaced.

However, I was trying to balance color with PAR output in hopes of being able to keep SPS corals.

I did learn from WetWebMedia -- that Kelvin and PAR are related, i.e. the lower the Kelvin the higher the PAR -- of course change in PAR output between a 20k and a 14k bulb may not be significant.

Thanks for all the feedback -- :)

mysterybox;548230 wrote: I loved my Radiums in 150 DE, just not enough par. I'm now using 2, 400 watt Radiums.

I agree with Raj mostly, however, if the coral won't live, what's the point?

And you think using a bulb with the highest par output is the only way for the coral to live? Using one of the bulbs I listed will not only give you a nice coloured bulb, but also the par necessary for maintaining sps successfully. Suggesting otherwise is foolish.

Now, if you really want to get some punch, you'll need to upgrade your lighting. I'm not a big fan of 150w DE setups (I have one on my nano). You can do A LOT with good reflectors and even a 175w bulb (Lee had some great sps in his tank powered with Lumenbright reflectors and 175w halides).

Skriz;548298 wrote: And you think using a bulb with the highest par output is the only way for the coral to live? Using one of the bulbs I listed will not only give you a nice coloured bulb, but also the par necessary for maintaining sps successfully. Suggesting otherwise is foolish.

Now, if you really want to get some punch, you'll need to upgrade your lighting. I'm not a big fan of 150w DE setups (I have one on my nano). You can do A LOT with good reflectors and even a 175w bulb (Lee had some great sps in his tank powered with Lumenbright reflectors and 175w halides).

escuse me, I should have said THRIVE!

I use a 150w Radium 20K bulb and it does well for the SPS i keep in my tank. Given most SPS are sitting towards the top of my tank, but i've hardly lost any SPS since i switched to a good bulb. The color is great too.

when you say top, is that above the water surface or just below?

you can do SPS, just keep them higher up and suppliment the lower light levels with some extra flow and you should be ok with most of the easier ones.

Back