TOPICS and WORKSHOPS of INTEREST

kevin

Market
Reaction score
If you have any ideas of what types of topics/workshops would be of interest to our community, please post them in this thread so that we can utilize your information for planning MACNA.

Thanks in advance

I like the idea of having to "tracks" of speakers: One novice and one advanced on most topis. I think of myself as advanced about fish pathology but more of a novice on issues such as lighting. It would be great to get the best of both worlds. Only suggestion as of now.

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I would like to see and attend a photography topic. Have actual hands on demonstrations along with lectures. I think the club should approach local and regional photo shops to provide equipment i.e. Cameras, lens, filters, etc. This could and should increase sales for their stores as members/attendees find the enjoyment of taking photographs that will dazzle others. They could also offer up the demonstration equipment for a raffle at the end of the show.</span></span>
:party:

What about a DIY workshop. Perhaps for a phosphate reactor or moon light. This of course would cost extra if all the supplies were on hand.

I like the DIY workshop. You could also add the kalkwasser doser as a simple DIY.

How about stand/canopy construction? I definitely like to learn that!

Stroid;39664 wrote: Topic: What is algae? And how to affect it effectivly.
lol i totaly wrote that wrong
Topic: What is algae? And how to effectivly control it!

I woukld love to see one on clams. SOOOOO much misinformation out there. Maybe James Fatheree.

I would like to see one on clams as well. Also a lecture on efficient reefkeeping would interest me, but probably few others :p. By efficiency I'm talking about how to make your tank as low maintence as possible... possibly also cost effective methods for running a tank or setting one up... It could also include energy efficiency...

Me I would love to get John Chatterton and Richie Kohler (dive legends) also hosts of Deep Sea Detectives. To give a talk to us at MACNA..They do trade shows all the time...You want to talk about drawing the masses.These guys will..

They are legends in deep diving. Identified the "U" Who - German U boat of NJ. Are the leaders of diving the Andria Doria. And too mant things else to name.

That would be a sell out.

I also liked the guy the Aquarium had talking about discoveries below 300 feet....Could listen to him for hours.....Thats what draws me.

I second plumbing 101.

Or what about a workshop that went through all of the commonly confused corals and taught us how to identify them properly.

As an example, these get mixed up or are commonly mislabeled:

caphastra vs. encrusting montis
eflo vs. soli
poccillipora vs. stylopora

Years ago when another atlanta reef club now defuncted had I think Borneman in town to discuss hard corals. It was a very interesting discussion on types and environments of where they come from and tank set-ups. Still remember some discussions on temps. Drew a large crowd.

Getting better color from corals, common cost cutting methods, alternate filtration methods, ozone/UV an in depth dicussion, DIY modding a needlewheel, DIY rocks, even more info on flow in the aquarium and how to duplicate Jakes effects, as someone mentioned plumbing, a simple course on electrical wiring including some info on safety

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">Considering the size of this event - and the planning involved - (i.e. - it can't be free!!!) What would YOU feel would be a good price point for:</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">Discounted Prepayment</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">Regular price</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">How about the price point for a hotel - would you pay more to be downtown within walking distance of the Aquarium if you were coming from out of town?</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #006400;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #006400;">What raffle prizes would you buy the most tickets for a chance to win?</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">Thanks for the feedback!</span></span></span>

dough;39715 wrote: Years ago when another atlanta reef club now defuncted had I think Borneman in town to discuss hard corals. It was a very interesting discussion on types and environments of where they come from and tank set-ups. Still remember some discussions on temps. Drew a large crowd.

That was us - we brought Eric in 2002, and again in 2005 and 2006. He was working on his dissertation this year, and could not come. I agree - it was a good presentation.

fishwhisperer;39674 wrote: How about Plumbing 101.

Actually, that should be Hydrodynamics 101. </em>Plumbing is the easy part, understanding how and why water behaves in various conditions/applications is really the key, plumbing would be more like Applied Hydrodynamics</em>. :D

I also love the idea of lots of DIY workshops of various kinds, too. Ditto on everything Cameron and FutureInterest said, also.

Me? If speakers are coming from out of town, I'd jump at the ability to attend a workshop hosted by Leroy and Sally Jo from http://garf.org">G.A.R.F.</a> on whatever they would care to talk about.

Especially of interest to me is advice on setting up and maintaining low-cost, efficient and simple reef tanks of various sizes, from small to medium to large (as each of course presents it's own challenges).

DIY, always good topics. I would love to learn to make DIY fish food,

Back