TOPICS and WORKSHOPS of INTEREST

Listen people, just because you know how to frag does not mean that everyone does. I think a fragging demos should be part of the line up. If you do not want to see it, don't go...

There must be people who want to see it or there would not a full room everytime one is put on.

If we put it behind closed doors, then Todd and Cameron don't have to look at it, LOL

Xyzpdq0121;40319 wrote: Listen people, just because you know how to frag does not mean that everyone does. I think a fragging demos should be part of the line up. If you do not want to see it, don't go...

There must be people who want to see it or there would not a full room everytime one is put on.
I think it has reached the point of saturation with the fragging demos at least for a while.

Honestly - who doesn't know how to frag? you break it with your fingers, pliers, hammer...you cut it with a knife, scissors, razor blade...

you pick up the pieces..(all while wearing your goggles-remember)

glue to whatever rock or piece of who knows what....

wash your hands...take you goggles off.....and selll them for $10 a frag :)

Easy!!

Every year for three years running the fragging demo by Anthony Calfo and/or Eric Borneman has been are biggest draw, and receives the most positive comments. We forget that most people in the hobby have only been in the hobby less than a year (although Anthony's talk this year had a lot of new stuff on coral farming).

We didn't give out any free frags in the Anthony Calfo fragging demonstration. In the fragging workshop, not many people took frags

Just heard back from John Chatterton...he is in Viet Nam right now....

Looks promising.........September 2008 right? are the days locked in yet?

SShindell;40331 wrote: Every year for three years running the fragging demo by Anthony Calfo and/or Eric Borneman has been are biggest draw, and receives the most positive comments. We forget that most people in the hobby have only been in the hobby less than a year (although Anthony's talk this year had a lot of new stuff on coral farming).
Agreed. I have done some of these fragging demonsrations at IMAC and MACNA as well and they are always very well attended. And, they don't even give away the frags.

washowi;40579 wrote: Just heard back from John Chatterton...he is in Viet Nam right now....

Looks promising.........September 2008 right? are the days locked in yet?

Hi Todd!

MACNA is always in either Sept or Oct.

Kevin and Margi are still negotiating the venue so it may be a few more weeks before we know what weekend MACNA XX will be.

Bob

Steven Pro;40680 wrote: Agreed. I have done some of these fragging demonsrations at IMAC and MACNA as well and they are always very well attended. And, they don't even give away the frags.

I should add that while these frag workshops are well attended, we also realize that a lot of MACNA attendees know how to propagate corals. So, the workshops are going to be in another room while we will have other speakers presenting at the same time in the main lecture hall.

My hunch is that while a lot of people know how to frag corals in theory, some aren't comfortable doing it until they actually see a coral hacked up by a 'pro' (no pun intended...).

jessezm;41169 wrote: My hunch is that while a lot of people know how to frag corals in theory, some aren't comfortable doing it until they actually see a coral hacked up by a 'pro' (no pun intended...).

You are right. And whenever I do one of these workshops, after I demonstrate a few items, I get people out of their seats and assist the attendees in doing some propagation.

Steven Pro;41216 wrote: You are right. And whenever I do one of these workshops, after I demonstrate a few items, I get people out of their seats and assist the attendees in doing some propagation.

That , we had a fragging deomonstration and then a hands-on workshop where people got to frag everything (leathers, sps, mushrooms, zoanthids and an anemone)

Xyzpdq0121;40319 wrote: Listen people, just because you know how to frag does not mean that everyone does. I think a fragging demos should be part of the line up. If you do not want to see it, don't go...

I might actually be less inclined to go if there weren't at least a beginner's workshop on coral fragging somewhere</em>.

Clearly you are going to have a fragging workshop already at MACNA which is fine and probably a good idea since it is over a year away. Besides MACNA is big enough that if you skip the show you won't be stuck talking to the PFO lady for another 45 minutes. There was only so much you want to know about how revolutionary their product is.

My point is that you probably shouldn't have a fragging workshop for a while and hopefully there won't be another one soon. There were and are far more interesting things to hear about other than how to cut something or ship something. As an ARC member, I skipped that presentation because sitting and watching this for 45 minutes didn't seem like time well spent and I think I will be skipping any upcoming workshops of a similar theme.

How to setup a calcium reactor and dial it in... all over that... or even a presentation on getting calcium in the aquarium. How to build XYZ... interesting. Care and feeding of various livestock in a reef tank... yes.

Cameron..I think you and me are the only ones that are over the fragging thing...You may be more lenient than me ..I say no more period....

Can't everyone just frag for themselves? Or how about, ask somebody to help you frag at your house? But to take a whole meeting and devote to watching somebody break or slice a coral and glue to a rock....

My god....boring!! Half the fun of this hobby is figuring stuff out on your own if you can...I discovered fragging when I used to break sh-t clean the tank...

Back