Trigger fish in reef

I have a pretty large niger in my reef. She's a doll. Leaves my shrimps and crabs alone. Doesn't fight with anyone else unless my two spot tang forgets the trigger is the queen b*tch of the tank and tries her once a month or so and she puts him in his dopey place. And my fingers at feeding time..

Those who have trigger in reef, how big when you added it and was it early or later in fish addition?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

i have a bluethroat trigger in QT at the moment ill let you guys know how it goes

this bluethroat is REALLY shy he does eat in front of me so i know he's eating but he spends 90% of the day hiding inside the pvc elbow in the QT his QT is coming to an end soon and im worried if he will be able to compete for food in my tank with my other fish since hes so shy hopefully when i put him in my tank i will come out in the open more

this bluethroat is REALLY shy he does eat in front of me so i know he's eating but he spends 90% of the day hiding inside the pvc elbow in the QT his QT is coming to an end soon and im worried if he will be able to compete for food in my tank with my other fish since hes so shy hopefully when i put him in my tank i will come out in the open more
I have a bashful Blue Throat as well. He hides when I come near the tank, but comes out if I hold really still or feed. He's slowly getting better, ventures farther away from his cave. Hasn't bothered any fish, corals snails or hermits, that's all I have in the tank, so shrimp, crabs etc.

Too late to edit the last post. Snark - the trigger was the last fish to go in and its small, but honestly I don't think it would be a problem, its really shy and mellow

Unless it's bullied or sick, hunger will rule and it'll come out. Once it gets bigger and realizes it's a trigger it'll be out more. But if you forget or aren't around to feed it will eat...

Heres the thing.. we are shoving the ocean into a box. We can't pretend to know better on everything. Of course keeping any predator satiated will make things easier and if you have larger predatory fish...why wouldn't you keep them well fed? But if you look online you'll see how these fish are carnivorous or piscivorus yet I've encountered many well fed individuals including my own who eats nori. There's more to these fish

hes been in my DT for 3 days now and hes been out front eating with the rest of the fish since the day hes been in the tank no hiding at all

When I worked at an LFS, triggers were always the most common saltwater fish brought in by people. Specifically undulated triggers. Most are very aggressive and not suitable for reef tanks. That being said, blue throats, sargassums, and crosshatches are generally considered to be peaceful and reef safe

I kept fish only for years back in the 90s, meanest fish I ever had by a mile was an Undulate Trigger. Ate or killed literally everything else in the tank.

I had a blue throat for a while in my reef that was a great addition. I have always been a huge trigger fan and will absolutely have another one when I get a larger tank.

Back