Used Tank, Should I be worried

scott martin

Market
Reaction score
Hello reef faithful, I am setting up a previously owned 125 gallon reef tank. The guy at the fish store scared the crap out of me by suggesting that my tank could over flow and damage my hardwood floors and drain into my finished basement. He suggested that I install an acrylic catch basin in the bottom of my tank with a water sensor to protect against damage from a leak. Do most people with larger tanks use an acrylic catch basin to prevent water damage or is it very rate that I would experience a leak? Also, is it critical that the stand be absolutley level upon installation of the tank? My floor may not be exactly level, but it can't be off by much? One last question, do I need to set it up in the garage first to insure that there are no leaks or should I be alright to begin filling it in the den and just check for any small leaks over the course of the first week that it is set up?
Thanks for your help,

Scott

1. Check for leaks before setting it up. Why would you want to wait and see if it leaks in your home?

2. A "catch basin" is not going to contain anything should the tank fail. A water sensor is good if it has some way of alerting you (via controller to your cell phone, etc).

3. Yes, level the stand now. Once filled, it's very difficult and you just won't do it.

Welcome to the club and kudos for asking questions here!

Do tanks fail on a regular basis because that would mean thousands in damages and a insurance claim. Is there a best way to insure that I don't have a failure or that I don't even wind up with leaks that might damage my floors? I had a 55 gallon fresh water and I never had these concerns. Yikes....

Scott Martin;542329 wrote: Hello reef faithful, I am setting up a previously owned 125 gallon reef tank. The guy at the fish store scared the crap out of me by suggesting that my tank could over flow and damage my hardwood floors and drain into my finished basement. He suggested that I install an acrylic catch basin in the bottom of my tank with a water sensor to protect against damage from a leak. Do most people with larger tanks use an acrylic catch basin to prevent water damage or is it very rate that I would experience a leak? Also, is it critical that the stand be absolutley level upon installation of the tank? My floor may not be exactly level, but it can't be off by much? One last question, do I need to set it up in the garage first to insure that there are no leaks or should I be alright to begin filling it in the den and just check for any small leaks over the course of the first week that it is set up?
Thanks for your help,

Scott

A basin in is a nice insurance policy against leaks but not all of us have em, but im sure all of us want them :D. Some just place their sump inside a big rubbermaid or use pond liner in the bottom of their cabinet, I think Acrylic is overkill and probably very costly. water alarm is a good idea.

As long as your trickle filter doesnt overflow when the return pump is off and you have proper siphon holes on your return you should be ok provided the siphon holes get cleaned regularly to prevent clogging. run a search in the toolbar for "siphon holes" or "siphon breaks" and read up...your floor could depend on it..lol.

A level tank pretty important - if your tank isnt level the tanks life could be reduced due to stress or possibly fail over time...at the very least, unsightly. You will have to shim the stand to make it truly level.

Used tanks (heck, all tanks) should always get a few day leak test or longer.....I would do that in the garage myself.

Edit: didnt see i wasnt the only one to answer!!

Is the tank reef-ready? Meaning, does it have overflow plumbing built into the tank, OR do you plan to use a hang-on-the-back overflow box?

The former is the best way, the latter carries more risk of siphon failure and tank overflow onto the floor. A catch-basin won't help you on that.

If you're using a reef-ready tank that has been leak tested, a properly sized sump and it is plumbed correctly, there's little risk of a failure that can cause a catastrophic flood.

Most glass tanks, IF they fail (and the ratio to failures versus the amount of tanks out there is very small), typically they develop a slow leak. I've only heard of a time or two when a glass tank had a major failure and dumped everything onto the floor - and usually there was a cause for that, namely, a crooked stand, improper support etc.

And as level as possible on the stand. Shim underneath the stand if necessary, when the tank is empty.

Jenn

You guys are awesome. I never even thought about a rubbermaid container that I could use in place of a custom acrylic catch basin. I will get the measurements of my sump/trickle filter and see if I can get something that it will fit in and still fit in the cabinet. I am sure that would be much more affordable. One more thing, I bough 2 300 Watt Finnex Titanium Digital Control heaters for the 125 gallon reef, but the guy at the store told me that Finnex heaters cause fires. Any one heard that about Finnex?

How "used" is it?

if it fails, it will be at a silicone joint (unless there is a crack in the glass or something of the sort)

make sure the silicone is in good shape still (try to cut a small piece out of the top/rim area, if it cuts easily with a razor blade, it wouldn't hurt to replace it)

you'll probably be fine

Just go to home depot and buy some PVC Shower Pan Plastic Sheeting... then silicone it in place at the bottom inside of your base cabinet. it'll go a long way towards saving you in the event of a plumbing leak under the tank.

I think the tank is about 7 or 8 years old. It has dual overflows and a 30" long sump with a trickle filter (bio-balls & some kine of brown grass looking stuff on top). I am new to this so still learning exactly what it is that I am getting into. Glad to hear that failures are rare. Is a rubbermaid container still a good idea just in case I spring a small leak or am I just going to be in hot water if my power goes out and my siphon break or check valve fails. Not sure if I have either as the guy has not delivered the tank and set it up yet.
Many thanks,

Scott

Scott Martin;542352 wrote: You guys are awesome. I never even thought about a rubbermaid container that I could use in place of a custom acrylic catch basin. I will get the measurements of my sump/trickle filter and see if I can get something that it will fit in and still fit in the cabinet. I am sure that would be much more affordable. One more thing, I bough 2 300 Watt Finnex Titanium Digital Control heaters for the 125 gallon reef, but the guy at the store told me that Finnex heaters cause fires. Any one heard that about Finnex?

Finnex heaters are the worst heaters in the universe..they are epically bad. I would throw some holy water them and bury them as deep as you can.

Wow, I had no idea that Finnex was that bad. Any recommendations for my 125 reef tank?
Thanks again,

Scott

I don't like any of the Titanium heaters - I've seen several brands fail, although I've never used Finnex, I have a hunch that all those Titanium heaters come out of the same factory with different labels.

IMO the heater is a "weak link" - they should be replaced every few years regardless of the brand.

Jenn

Scott Martin;542385 wrote: Thanks Jenn... Maybe I should just give the Finnex a chance.

Don't do it, dude!

Buy a Ebo Jager and be done with it. There are some other decent heaters out there, but Finnex is definitely not one of them.

What are you risking? Let's say the heater sticks "on". You now have a very large bowl of seafood soap..yum. Let's say it never comes on and the temp drops drastically. Now you have a large bowl of cold seafood soup.

Skriz;542391 wrote: Don't do it, dude!

Buy a Ebo Jager and be done with it. There are some other decent heaters out there, but Finnex is definitely not one of them.

What are you risking? Let's say the heater sticks "on". You now have a very large bowl of seafood soap..yum. Let's say it never comes on and the temp drops drastically. Now you have a large bowl of cold seafood soup.
+1 and no hydor theo heater either

Ok, I am getting the picture. I will see about shipping the Finnex back.
Thanks to ARC! Without you guys I would be floundering (no pun intended)

Just ordered 2 300 watt Ebo Jagers. I will ship the Finnex back. The line about "Throw Holy Water On Them and bury them in my back yard as deep as I can" is hillarious, but I get the point loud and clear... :)

Scott Martin;542385 wrote: Thanks Jenn... Maybe I should just give the Finnex a chance.

For clarity I wasn't suggesting to give the Finnex a chance... rather I was suggesting to avoid *all* Titanium heaters. I've tried a few brands, and they've all failed. If they all come from the same place, as I speculated, then they're *all* junk.

Jenn

Scott Martin;542405 wrote: Just ordered 2 300 watt Ebo Jagers. I will ship the Finnex back. The line about "Throw Holy Water On Them and bury them in my back yard as deep as I can" is hillarious, but I get the point loud and clear... :)

Next time, before you order, check with ARC sponsors... we can usually get you as good of a deal, plus personalized service.

And if you become a club member, sponsors offer a discount also.

Jenn

+1 to what Jenn said regarding drilled vs HOB overflow. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the store employee may have been referring to an undrilled tank, and suggesting that a reef-ready tank would be less prone to flood.

And as Smoothie said, I'd also run from Hydor Theo heaters as well. I had one heat my water to 92.9 while set on 79... and it was not stuck; the thermostat was that far off. Hydor said there was nothing wrong with it! (I had sent them an email as a courtesy just so it could be one more issue that may someday lead to a redesign. I didn't ask for repair or replacement, since I had bought it used).

I would heartily recommend running a controller on the heater as a failsafe. Either a Ranco temp controller, or spend a little more and get a Reefkeeper Lite. It will make you wonder how you ever got along without a controller, and it's only $99.

Back