Used Tank, Should I be worried

cr500_af;542480 wrote: +1 to what Jenn said regarding drilled vs HOB overflow. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the store employee may have been referring to an undrilled tank, and suggesting that a reef-ready tank would be less prone to flood.

And as Smoothie said, I'd also run from Hydor Theo heaters as well. I had one heat my water to 92.9 while set on 79... and it was not stuck; the thermostat was that far off. Hydor said there was nothing wrong with it! (I had sent them an email as a courtesy just so it could be one more issue that may someday lead to a redesign. I didn't ask for repair or replacement, since I had bought it used).

I would heartily recommend running a controller on the heater as a failsafe. Either a Ranco temp controller, or spend a little more and get a Reefkeeper Lite. It will make you wonder how you ever got along without a controller, and it's only $99.
Yep my hydor killed ALOT more than $99 sticking on or whatever it did.

Actually, Barry, I *think* an RKL or an Apex Lite controller is probably cheaper than a Ranco. The former 2 do more things also, the Ranco JUST controls temperature via heater and/or chiller.

Jenn

JennM;542483 wrote: Actually, Barry, I *think* an RKL or an Apex Lite controller is probably cheaper than a Ranco. The former 2 do more things also, the Ranco JUST controls temperature via heater and/or chiller.

Jenn

Yep, I wouldn't buy a temp controller when the "real" controllers are priced where they are... I was just under the impression that a Ranco was about $50.00... I guess you can tell I've never bought one.

New ones are well over $100 (for a dual stage). I sold a used single recently for $60.

Better to just get a controller that has more bells and whistles, for less money.

Jenn

Do you guys agree that Ebo Jager is a good way to go? As for checking with ARC for equipment vs buying on-line, I was not aware that I could do that as I am brand new to the site.
Thanks for all the advice,

Scott

Back