UV and Bio Pellets

rodriguez

Market
Reaction score
planing to have a fish only tank and my question is can i run UV and Bio Pellets Reactor at the same time or not??? thank you

You can run big, they serve different purposes. The biopellets will reduce Nitrate and phosphate and the uv will kill algae and some disease in the water that passes through it. Most people don't use uv correctly as far as how it is placed in the system and the amount of flow through the uv filter, so I can't say that it will kill all disease and protozoa. I would different recommend both pieces of equipment you are asking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you can, and its debatably a good idea. In fact, if it were me, I'd run the BP reactor *INTO* the UV, as too kill off any free floating bacteria.

What about running Gfo reactor and uv witch one would you guys recommend to go first the gfo reactor or the uv light?

Again, different purposes. Uv is for fish health, other forms of reactors are for water quality.

I guess I should it explain my self better can I run both out of the same pump ? If I can witch one first uv light or gfo reactor first?

I personally have my uv directly after my return pump filtering all of my water.

bhodges82;1115141 wrote: I personally have my uv directly after my return pump filtering all of my water.

With the right flow through it, that is the ideal way. But, in the absence of a huge UV, or small return pump (or combination), another option is to just make it a "closed loop" through the sump. In this case, directing the effluent of the BP reactor prevents bacteria from spilling out into the bulk display water and potentially making a bloom. Another option is to dump the BP reactor into a skimmer, as skimming will also remove bacteria.

You don't need a huge uv to kill algae, that's what I use mine for. Although I do plan on upgrading to a 72w uv soon to help prevent ich.

bhodges82;1115168 wrote: You don't need a huge uv to kill algae, that's what I use mine for. Although I do plan on upgrading to a 72w uv soon to help prevent ich.

Agreed. Algae and bacteria and pretty easily killed with a pass of appropriate exposure. I guess its all relative, at any rate. Getting appropriate UV exposure is the name of the game, however you apply it.

thank you all for so much needed info, now i need to get the tank, i know the reviews in glass cages is not so good but i am considering to giving them a chance , since this is going to be fish only tank i hate to spend tone of money on a high end tank they are expensive, looking to get close to a 400 gallon , again thank you for the imformation

bhodges82;1115141 wrote: I personally have my uv directly after my return pump filtering all of my water.

If you just want water clarity then that is a good way to do it. If you want to kill parasites, you are probably flowing too much water.

For example if you have a 450 GPH return pump and you want to kill ich, well you would need a 150w UV which is a little overkill for most tanks and why a small separate loop is usually the way to go.

EnderG60;1115351 wrote: If you just want water clarity then that is a good way to do it. If you want to kill parasites, you are probably flowing too much water.

For example if you have a 450 GPH return pump and you want to kill ich, well you would need a 150w UV which is a little overkill for most tanks and why a small separate loop is usually the way to go.

That's why I said previously that most people don't use uv correctly. And I slow my water flow drastically if I get ich or sickness to help. It takes a very big uv to kill all things in the water, too expensive

I'll share my experience with UV and I have about 365 gallons total water volume.

If you aren't buying the UV to fight parasites in your tank, then it could be a huge waste of money. Mine is now off 95% of the time. It did little to nothing for the algae in my tank. The time spent scrapping the glass was the same on or off.

With fish only please QT, it will end badly at some point, use the UV as a safeguard. Size it correctly for parasites. You will need to monitor the flow through the UV (flow meter, apex now offers a solution) to make sure contact time is long enough. That means you need to be able to control the flow (gate valve).

If you are buying a UV, Emperor Aquatics or maybe it's Pentair now is about the only one worth it's salt. Especially at the size tank you are looking at. At 400 gallons the UV is going to be expensive! I saw some used for a great deal on here recently.

atlfishes;1115424 wrote: I'll share my experience with UV and I have about 365 gallons total water volume.

If you aren't buying the UV to fight parasites in your tank, then it could be a huge waste of money. Mine is now off 95% of the time. It did little to nothing for the algae in my tank. The time spent scrapping the glass was the same on or off.

With fish only please QT, it will end badly at some point, use the UV as a safeguard. Size it correctly for parasites. You will need to monitor the flow through the UV (flow meter, apex now offers a solution) to make sure contact time is long enough. That means you need to be able to control the flow (gate valve).

If you are buying a UV, Emperor Aquatics or maybe it's Pentair now is about the only one worth it's salt. Especially at the size tank you are looking at. At 400 gallons the UV is going to be expensive! I saw some used for a great deal on here recently.

i got this uv for the setup Smart High Output UV 50 Watt - Pentair Aquatics and Reef Octopus and BioChurn 120R Recirculating Biopellet Reactor, working on to get the skimmer and sump, thanks for the advice

That is the same UV I have and when I got mine it was rated for about 325 gallons when set for parasites. Just know it is under sized for your tank. It probably won't solve a parasite outbreak, but can support in treatment.

Back