UV Light ‘Green Killing Machine’

Givmeanf

Supporting
Reaction score
It is called the ‘Green Killing Machine’

Maker: AA-Aquarium

Model: AAUV9W & AAUV24W

The different model numbers relate to the wattage usage, which relates to the maximum tank size. (9watts, max tank size 55 gallons.)

Price: $65 for the small one. You can find it cheaper on line. This price is local retail. Support your local economy.

I was having an algae bloom after relocating my 20 gallon AIO tank.
I’m obsessive with my tank (my only tank) and was worried about the green water. After a fish died unexpectedly I started to feel panicked. I’m attached to my little corals now and needed the water cleared up!

I bought a UV light to filter the water.

I watched videos and read reviews, etc., etc., etc., this seemed like a good fix for my immediate issue.

My Observations: Everything is plastic. Like everything these days it looks like cheap junk from China, but I think it is made in Connecticut! I’m not sure why aquarium equipment is made with cheap looking plastic. There is no one I know that wouldn’t pay a buck or two more for quality. I hope this isn’t indicative of the pump motor quality.

Installation: it could not be easier to install. If you can install a thermometer inside your tank you can install this set up.

After a quick assembly of the parts in the box (no glue required!), you just find a spot and put it in the tank. Suction cupped to the side. ( I put it on the back wall.) There is a control box that needs a place outside of the tank, it also has suction cups to stick it on the back side of the tank, out of sight. Additionally wired to the control box, there is a large power supply. Too big for the lineup of plugs on a power strip (this is my only grip, and maybe there should be an on-off switch for convenience.)

There is no inline piping modifications or additions required to your system. The water flows through the housing and right back into the tank. You just find a spot to submerge it, plug it in, and let it rip.

Yes, you see it in the tank, but it is like a wave maker. It is just there and is blending into the background.

Yes it is taking up room, but not much.

Yes it can be easily removed when I think the problem has subsided.

YES! It is working like a champ! I installed it about 8PM, at 6AM this morning there was a noticeable difference in the water. Like day and night difference! Every coral is busting out, like it’s the first day of the rest of their lives! One little frag I’ve been worried about is even opened up this morning. The fish that swim around are looking happy and hungry.

And I swear, I think the sand looks better too!

I do not see a downside to this.

The two cables coming from the pump and light to the control box need to be straighten out and made to look neat and tidy.

What a great idea.

Two thumbs up for my use.

IMG_2910.jpegIMG_2908.jpeg

They do work, but be careful because the pump will rust and could potentially cause problems with corals and fish.

Back