UV Sterilizer, worth it or a waste of money?

Curtismaximus;943898 wrote: That's what I was afraid of. I think I will wait until I can afford a nice one.

I have a aqua uv 40w with a wiper for sale. $175 takes it home. it is due a bulb though. still lights, its just a year or so old

I have been using a UV for at least 10 years, never had ich or any parasites in my tanks, and my fish have always been in perfect shape. I have a 25W Aqua Ultraviolet on my 90 gallon reef (probably a little overkill as I took it off my 180).

I have yet to be able to afford a nice one, I can tell you from experience that even a cheap one will help with algae a bit. I put a cheap mean green machine in a 36 bowfront and also in a biocube for a bit and the water cleared up great. For parasite control you have got to spend some serious money.

There is a nice discussion about the scientific side of it at the top of the forum that can offer some nice background.

rk4435;943984 wrote: I have yet to be able to afford a nice one, I can tell you from experience that even a cheap one will help with algae a bit. I put a cheap mean green machine in a 36 bowfront and also in a biocube for a bit and the water cleared up great. For parasite control you have got to spend some serious money.

There is a nice discussion about the scientific side of it at the top of the forum that can offer some nice background.

^^Yeah, good sticky in the reef discussion forum.

Back