Vacation tank prep

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm leaving for 7 days this week, not too worried since I'm typically gone for 5 days for work. I've got ATO covered and an auto feeder. I guess the big thing is, should I run my skimmer the whole time, leave it off or turn it off after a while. That's about the one thing I don't have covered is if the skimmer cup overflows.

I just got home from leaving my tank for the first time for 5 days. My skimmer had over flowed but that's the ONLY issue :)
I thought I had it turned down enough but didn't. Can you take out the plug in the cup and run a drain line into a larger container? I've done that successfully?
Good luck!

Camellia;974549 wrote:
I thought I had it turned down enough but didn't. Can you take out the plug in the cup and run a drain line into a larger container? I've done that successfully?
Good luck!

I've been thinking of doing that. We'll see if I can rig something up tonight after making some RODI and doing a WC :p

I've used several things including a plastic water picture, putting the drip hose in the pour spout. Just be sure to brace it well and make SURE if it dose overflow you have it set so there isn't a drip line run off other than in the picture. You could put a large cake plate under the water picture....yes I'm a girl :)
PM sent

I'm with PA's suggestion above - Why not put the skimmer on a timer and let it run for just a couple of hours a day? That way you don't wind up with a tank full of goop, but shouldn't run the risk of it overflowing.

Test you autofeeder for a day or two - I've seen a lot of stories about them dumping too much food in and causing water quality issues that got bad over a week's absence.

I use the auto feeder daily. Picked up another for my cichlids tank though

If it makes any difference - I haven't run my skimmer at all in nearly 3 months (pump is burned out) and barely anything has changed other than the amount of detritus built up in the return section of my sump.

Leaving your skimmer off for a week shouldn't be detrimental to your tank. But, the risk of an overflowed waste container flooding your floor far outweighs having a skimmer on (unless you have a skimmate locker).

A water change once you get back into town will help though.

Happy vacationing!

Yes I was going to saw to make sure that auto feeder works. I bought one for my trip and ended up being a big mistake. It dumped nearly the whole container in my tank at one time. Luckily I had someone checking on the tank. They did not know how to do a water change but they did know to keep up with the skimmer cup. When i got back i had a tank full of cyano. Luckily I was able to fix it and I did not lose anything.

Back