Vortech owners please advise....

darren24

Market
Reaction score
OK putting my 40's on. I adjusted the dry side for 1/2 inch glass. I cranked them on and they are wanting to slide down the outside glass and humming / vibrating. When I align the wet and dry side it gets better but the dry side keeps slipping down the glass a little. Am I supposed to remove the paper scale for glass thickness from the dry side magnet? Thanks!

Uh oh. Reading the instructions again it says to "place the rubber gasket" on the glass. Be right back......

OK it really sucks getting old. Put the rubber gasket on and this baby is pumping! Quietly too I might add. :)

I have 2 on my 5 foot display tank and its only 80 gallons. :) So yah I think you need em both. Of course I do run them at only 60-75% or so.

i agree... you can throttle them back until you figure out the optimum flow. I know Budsreef has two on this 4' tank as well. I run my fully open on the 210 which is 6' long.

Yes I am playing with the flow now. :)

I would be done with this new set up if I had not underestimated the time to make the water. :(

Yeah if you only have one there won't be much flow on the other side of the tank. I went with two on my 90, na dhave them dialed down, but I still have a lot of flow.

bratliff;306597 wrote: I'm gonna order my Vortechs today. Are you running one on each side of the tank (pointed at each other basically) or on the back wall pointed forward? I'd really like to keep them off the sides, but, I understand that just may not be possible.:confused2:

I have them staggard on the sides of the tank. One is closer to the front glass, and the other osd closer to the rear glass.

I tried one on the back wall, it was ok. I would really like to try both on the back wall, but that would mean I would need to take the canopy off...

I have mine on the ends of my 4' 120G and staggered like Rostato. I run mine in master/slave, Random Lagoon mode, so one side stays a lot lower flow than the other and I also set it for night mode. Right now I have just one connected to the battery backup.

Just moved mine from the sides to the back wall last week and like it so much better. Makes the tank look a lot more clean and easier to clean the glass as well. Also allowed me to create higher rock formations with caves on the sides which is I like too. After the coraline and other algae grows in, they are much less noticeable IMO.

I thought about it but never tried. I just figured the way my rock is layed out I would have better flow with them on the sides. I really hardly notice them anymore.

bratliff;306616 wrote: This is basically what I was planning on doing, based on what I've read it seems like the best set up. You haven't by chance tried placing them on the back wall have you?

I eventually ended up putting both of mine on one side about 6 inches apart. I have one side that is very viewable on a 120 rimless. This side does not get as much flow but I am able to place items that were getting rather bashed (xenia) when placed near the Vortechs. I really wanted to put them on the back wall but having them facing the longest length of the tank works MUCH better.

Jonathan

Back