Vortech owners please advise....

Possible the harmonic pulsing in certain modes could be just right to cause an overflow at certain speeds, while not in other speeds? Don't know much how the Vortechs work or the frequency of the pulse modes, but just a thought.

jmaneyapanda;306869 wrote: I get it, I guess. The "pulse" is what you are finding detrimental? As the maximum and minimum flow will be the same on either setting, Im not sure how this would be different, or how one would create an overflow, and not the other, butto each, their own, I guess.

Maybe this helps: Look in the owner's manual page 5 at the Reef Crest and Lagoon Random chart (reef crest is in yellow and lagoon is purple). Reef Crest has about 25-30 0% to 100%, or 0% to 80% or 0% to 70% power fluctuations in a 15 minute period, whereas the Lagoon Random mode only changes from one peak to another, most times with only a 10% or less increase or decrease in flow at each change.

A Vortech going from 80% to 20% then to 100% then to 30% then to 90% should create more waves (right word?) than a Vortech in Lagoon Mode following the peaks only going from 80% to 85% to 95% to 90%, for example. Smoother flow, less waves in Lagoon even though it's graphic representation follows the highs of Reef Crest, and Reef Crest mode has lots more chaotic flow because of the constant shifting of flow % from a very low number to a high number (0-90%, then 90-30% for example).

All I know is that the water sloshed up very close to the top of the tank in Reef Crest vs Lagoon Mode, all other settings being the same.

Yeah Dave, I guess thats the "pulse" I was speaking of. To each, their own, I guess.

jmaneyapanda;306649 wrote: I run 6 mp40s on the back wall and love it.

Never thought I'd see the day... Who/what finally convinced you to make the switch? I know it wasn't me these past 3 years... :)

I dont know for sure. I really liked the battery backup for one, and wanted the side walls to be clear. I guess I just tried one, and loved it, so went for broke (literally).

I'm genuinely glad you like em. I was just reminiscing some of our "discussions" over the past years on them and giving you a hard time :).

As for reefcrest vs lagoon, I would recommend staying with reefcrest for its variability. You will get a lot more reaslitic random surges of water around the tank than with lagoon. Especially with that many pumps you have going on. This is also why acroholic's tank almost spilled over. Some of the surges you get are insane which is a really good thing in most tanks.

The only mode I've been running for years is pulse mode. I love seeing corals sway back and forth...

If I were growing SPS corals in this 100 gallon, I would be using Reef Crest mode for sure.
Dave

Back