Vortech owners please advise....

Back glass is the way to go for looks. Mine is onthe back of my chalice tank.

You should definitely have two for your tank, Darren. You have SPS, so they need the flow. You'll have to play with placement and percentage flow on the pumps themselves. The one MP40w on my chalice tank is dialed down to 50% actual flow in Lagoon Mode, so I am not using a lot of its potential.

Here is a change I made in the hanger that Vortech includes to hold the dry side in place in case it falls. This is a plexi holder I made out of some lexan from Lowes.
Dave
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
306668=15738-holder1.jpg
>
306668=15738-holder1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="holder1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I do run 4 of the 6 in reef crest at 100% on my 210. The are 4 across the back. The additional two are on the on the "outside" of teh overflows, and are lower in the tank. They are on lagoon mode. The variation between the 4 on reefcrest and 2 on lagoon makes for quite variable flow. The top 4 are 2 synced, 2 antisynced.

From what I can gather, the only difference between reef crest and lagoon mode is the frequency of ramping of the pump speed. The achieve the same flow at either setting. Am I wrong on this?

Acroholic;306668 wrote: Back glass is the way to go for looks. Mine is onthe back of my chalice tank.

You should definitely have two for your tank, Darren. You have SPS, so they need the flow. You'll have to play with placement and percentage flow on the pumps themselves. The one MP40w on my chalice tank is dialed down to 50% actual flow in Lagoon Mode, so I am not using a lot of its potential.

Here is a change I made in the hanger that Vortech includes to hold the dry side in place in case it falls. This is a plexi holder I made out of some lexan from Lowes.
Dave

Your making me want to move mine to the back glass.

I think you are fine. I used lagoon mode for mine because my 100 gallon is rimless, and the actual water level is kinda too close to the top for that mode where I have the pump placed. Reef crest is very erratic, and lagoon is smooth, and it was making little waves too close to the top for my comfort. I was afraid I'd get spillover. Would be a moot point if I had top trim on the tank.

jmaneyapanda;306681 wrote: I do run 4 of the 6 in reef crest at 100% on my 210. The are 4 across the back. The additional two are on the on the "outside" of teh overflows, and are lower in the tank. They are on lagoon mode. The variation between the 4 on reefcrest and 2 on lagoon makes for quite variable flow. The top 4 are 2 synced, 2 antisynced.

From what I can gather, the only difference between reef crest and lagoon mode is the frequency of ramping of the pump speed. The achieve the same flow at either setting. Am I wrong on this?

loving mine on my 4ft 90...they are awesome. lol....and yes the gaskets help. I know from experience.

rostato;306689 wrote: Your making me want to move mine to the back glass.

Only thing I see with Vortechs on the back glass is you have to clear an area for the flow since it is not adjustable. Even with as dispersed as the flow is, I don't think SPS could be placed really close to it, but maybe some people with experience there could chime in.

You don't need to sacrifice as much real estate to place a Tunze 6105 on the back of a tank, as far as I can see. And since the Tunze is aimable you can point the flow up to avoid corals placed near it.
Dave

I don't have a ton of rock work, so I might be able to make it work. I think a front to back wave would look pretty cool in sync mode!

Acroholic;306698 wrote: Only thing I see with Vortechs on the back glass is you have to clear an area for the flow since it is not adjustable. Even with as dispersed as the flow is, I don't think SPS could be placed really close to it, but maybe some people with experience there could chime in.

You don't need to sacrifice as much real estate to place a Tunze 6105 on the back of a tank, as far as I can see. And since the Tunze is aimable you can point the flow up to avoid corals placed near it.
Dave

I have run both tunze and vortech, and I can say that I believe the tuinze have a far gentler flow pattern than the tunzes. I believe the tunzes have a too focused nozzle, it it does create a bit of a stream. I was utterly amazed at the circulatory capability of the vortechs, as compared to a higher flow tunze scheme. The aimability is rather moot in my opinion.

I believe the tuinze have a far gentler flow pattern than the tunzes.
What?

I'm planning to upgrade to Vortechs IF I upgrade to a 110...my Koralias are working alright for now.

jmaneyapanda;306722 wrote: I believe the tuinze have a far gentler flow pattern than the tunzes..

That makes COMPLETE sense.

Im stupid. I MEANT </em>the vortechs have far gentler flow than the Tunzes.

I think you are correct, however the Lagoon mode stays consistently at a higher level so if you antisync two of them, one will be consistently at a low level while the other is high.

jmaneyapanda;306681 wrote:

jmaneyapanda;306740 wrote: That makes COMPLETE sense.

Im stupid. I MEANT </em>the vortechs have far gentler flow than the Tunzes.

+1

-the frag slayer

so, why does anyone bother running lagoon mode? It is not softer or gentler, just less random.

jmaneyapanda;306796 wrote: so, why does anyone bother running lagoon mode? It is not softer or gentler, just less random.

You know I never thought of that. I may try that mode now.

I run in Lagoon mode so that I don't get the abrupt transitions. It is still going up and down, just in a smaller range and smoother.

jmaneyapanda;306796 wrote: so, why does anyone bother running lagoon mode? It is not softer or gentler, just less random.

Budsreef;306801 wrote: I run in Lagoon mode so that I don't get the abrupt transitions. It is still going up and down, just in a smaller range and smoother.

But why? I am interested to know. I might consider that mode then, but I dont understand how it is anything, but a less random flow. Will it wear the equipment more? Cause alien attack? What?

I have mostly soft corals and LPS so I wanted a softer flow without the wide swings from low to high and I wasn't interested in trying to make waves like you can with the other modes.

jmaneyapanda;306803 wrote: But why? I am interested to know. I might consider that mode then, but I dont understand how it is anything, but a less random flow. Will it wear the equipment more? Cause alien attack? What?

Lagoon mode causes less water to swish up the sides of the tank, a good thing for my 100 gallon.
Dave

Acroholic;306817 wrote: Lagoon mode causes less water to swish up the sides of the tank, a good thing for my 100 gallon.
Dave

Sorry, brain fart: NOT a good thing for my 100 gallon.

I get it, I guess. The "pulse" is what you are finding detrimental? As the maximum and minimum flow will be the same on either setting, Im not sure how this would be different, or how one would create an overflow, and not the other, butto each, their own, I guess.

Back