Want to Increase Flow ... Suggestions?

sweetpea

Market
Reaction score
I want to increase the flow in my 90g tank (48" long). Right now, all I have are the 2 - 1" returns from the sump. My return pump is a Turbo Sea 1100.

I am almost decided on modded MaxiJets (I'm open to suggestions), but I am not certain how many I should get. I know I want at least two (near the top at opposite ends of the tank). I'd also like to have some flow across the back/bottom of the tank. I have a center overflow, and I'm wondering how much good PHs down there are going be when the overflow obstructs full flow. Any thoughts?

I've not used the modded maxi-jets, but I've heard alot of good things about them--for the price they're tough to beat.

I've got a 175 bowfront (6ft long) with a center overflow. I've got a Vortech mounted on one end and a koralia 1 at the other. I recently moved the vortech further down in the tank and I'm happy with the result. The flow goes behind the rockwork (so much so that I had to raise the vortech up a bit--I created a sand dune behind the rocks!). The Koralia adds flow to the far corner and the returns (Mag 18) keep water flowing across the top. It IS a pretty circular flow, rather than random, but it's working for me.

I'd try two of the modded maxi-jets to start and play around with the positioning --every tank is going to be different. You can always add more later if necessary.

Koralias are a great pump...I have 2 3's on my lil 54 corner...

What?!? You can find a Mag 18 for pretty cheap used or a Genx40 for around $40 used and with $15 in PVC you got yourself a closed loop that you do not even have to drill your tank for. Plus it gives you a few picesless features: 1) no strong intake to cut up your prized anemone, 2) you can design your flow pattern anyway you can imagine, and 3) no Koralia to block the view in your tank or shock the crap out of you because they have to recall it!!!!

inexpensive & easy:

2 or 3 Tunze steams, Koralias, or modded maxi's. closed loop is so 2004! lol!

i found this ....
closedloop.html

Ya Tommy, That is a good place to get a basic CL design... You might want to google "Calfo Closedloop" and search for some Calfo designs too. Friendly reminder: Marc (Who writes Melevsreef) will be speaking for the club in March so it would be the perfect time to ask him for CL ideas!!! (I know shameless plug of upcoming speakers!)

Xyzpdq0121;119238 wrote: What?!? You can find a Mag 18 for pretty cheap used or a Genx40 for around $40 used and with $15 in PVC you got yourself a closed loop that you do not even have to drill your tank for. Plus it gives you a few picesless features: 1) no strong intake to cut up your prized anemone, 2) you can design your flow pattern anyway you can imagine, and 3) no Koralia to block the view in your tank or shock the crap out of you because they have to recall it!!!!
Cost is an issue. Plumbing really adds to the cost and a Mag18 pulls 145w per hour. At say 10 cents per kilowatt hour you get (assuming my math is right)

145wh x 24 (hours in a day) = 3480w or 3.480kw
3.480kw x .10 (proce per kilowatt) = 0.348 cents per day to run
0.345 x 365 (days in a year) = $127.02 annual cost to run a CL

---------------------------------------------------------------

Two Koralia 4s would use about 24w. Some quick math would run about $11 bucks a year.

A CL in a year is much more expensive than a powerhead setup. Also, two powerheads give you some flow redundancy compared to a single pump in a CL. You could do two CLs, but then the annual costs get way out of hand.

The last big issue (at least for me) is the work aspect. How much is your time worth because a CL takes significant amounts more time to install than powerheads. This can be cut down quite a bit if you drill the tank, but that is also another added cost.

With the exception of the visual aspect and the potential livestock danger (which I believe is minimal in most tanks and still exists with a more limited fashion with a CL), powerheads are big winners.

I would suggest Koralias for your tank. They are pretty bullet proof, inexpensive and look relatively nice for a powerhead.

<span style="color: black;">Not to hijack the thread, but what would be the recommended flow for a 125g 72" long? Would 2 modded maxi-jet do the trick?</span>

I would think (uneducated guess) that you would need full blown streams in that baby. At least the 6060, maybe the 6100 or the vortech. Otherwise, a combination on a closed loop, Koralias, maxijet mods, and or 6060.

Um ya. I had 2 6100s in my 125 and a clossed loop Iwaki 55 and a mag 9.5 return!

haninja;119506 wrote: <span style="color: black;">Not to hijack the thread, but what would be the recommended flow for a 125g 72" long? Would 2 modded maxi-jet do the trick?</span>
I have a 6' and 4 powerheads is pretty much the best way I could figure to get flow. You can get by with two powerheads if you go with the big Tunzes or the Vortechs as suggested above. An interesting mix that worked well for me for a while was one Koralia 4 on the far left and one on the far right. Then two Tunze 6045s in the middle. One Pointing left and the other Tunze pointing right. I would turn on the powerheads pointing left for a half a day and then turn the right on for half a day. Worked pretty well.

I kind of see both sides of it. I just think 2 Koralias in a 48" long tank look much different then they do in your tank Cam. Heck look at those DC pumps you got to try out that one time. Those things would be ALL you would see in my 55 gal tank. And safety, this is coming from the guy to tried to make a nemo smoothy one time and Jack Bower (The name of his fish) is going to meet his doom someday in your tank. I have never sucked up a fish or anemone in my CL, not even close. There is atleast one thread every two months about a nem getting sucked into someone modded maxi or Koralia, heck there is one up right now...

Difference of opinion I guess.

Cameron;119482 wrote: Cost is an issue. Plumbing really adds to the cost and a Mag18 pulls 145w per hour. At say 10 cents per kilowatt hour you get (assuming my math is right)

145wh x 24 (hours in a day) = 3480w or 3.480kw
3.480kw x .10 (proce per kilowatt) = 0.348 cents per day to run
0.345 x 365 (days in a year) = $127.02 annual cost to run a CL

---------------------------------------------------------------

Two Koralia 4s would use about 24w. Some quick math would run about $11 bucks a year.

A CL in a year is much more expensive than a powerhead setup. Also, two powerheads give you some flow redundancy compared to a single pump in a CL. You could do two CLs, but then the annual costs get way out of hand.

The last big issue (at least for me) is the work aspect. How much is your time worth because a CL takes significant amounts more time to install than powerheads. This can be cut down quite a bit if you drill the tank, but that is also another added cost.

With the exception of the visual aspect and the potential livestock danger (which I believe is minimal in most tanks and still exists with a more limited fashion with a CL), powerheads are big winners.

except for a few practical exceptions & current configurations (IMHO), Vortechs, Tunzes, & Koralias are going to make CL pretty much extinct. Then there's the new stuff coming!

Xyzpdq0121;119539 wrote: I kind of see both sides of it. I just think 2 Koralias in a 48" long tank look much different then they do in your tank Cam. Heck look at those DC pumps you got to try out that one time. Those things would be ALL you would see in my 55 gal tank.

And safety, this is coming from the guy to tried to make a nemo smoothy one time and Jack Bower. I have never sucked up a fish or anemone in my CL, not even close. There is atleast one thread every two months about a nem getting sucked into someone modded maxi or Koralia, heck there is one up right now...
If you are worried about size and fish protection, just get the Tunze Nanostreams. They are a bit more but still cheaper than a CL and covers both areas. If you are really worried about it, the Vortechs are probably the way to go since they take virtually no room in a tank and have those cool foam rings to prevent anything from getting sucked in. You have to replace them every month or two, but that is still cheaper than running a CL. It would take a couple years to recoup the upfront cost of the Vortech but you would do it probably by year two.

A big knock against CL for me is a single point of failure unless you drill quite a few holes in the tank or do a lot of plumbing. Also, you can't really control the flow in the tank like you can with with powerheads. Once you plumb the CL changing it can be a bear.

(The name of his fish) is going to meet his doom someday in your tank
Not anymore... my setup is sweet now using variable speed pumps on an Aquasurf. No way Jack or any other fish can swim in those.

Many, many thanks to everyone who responded!

I am seeing both sides of the coin - the pros and cons of PH's vs. CL. I asked about having a CL installed at the time my hubby bought the tank for me (I am not a DIY person, and hubby works so much that he really doesn't have time). I was assured that it wasn't needed with my set-up. Buyer beware! ;)

I had a Koralia 1 here (bought it for one of my nanos but never got around to taking it out of the box), and I put it in the 90g around 11am. My pavona, pocillipora and millepora retracted immediately. I adjusted the flow so it went more over than at the corals, and it made no difference. I unplugged it after a couple of hours, and even four hours later they had not relaxed enough to open up.

<sigh> I know I need more flow because I have to regularly blow detritus off my plating monti (top/center of the tank). I simply(?) need to determine what is best for my corals and the space that they live in.

Again, I REALLY appreciate ALL of the input! :)

I'm sure that you already tried this, but just in case........try aiming that pump either toward the glass away from the coral or toward the surface. The motion from ph will eventually get around, but very diffused.

Back