What are your tactics for...

I have a routing with basically the same practices. I fluctuation 2 tenths of a point in ph daily. Apparently cooking dinner and oven use can cause more than that.... Could watching my ph on my apex be doing nothing but driving me mad? lol

I think it depends on the person. Some like that aspect of the hobby. I don't do I've set mine up so that a weekly water change handles it for me. I will say that I think many have established to thought of window in regards stability. Getting upset over a 2 degree temp swing in 24 hrs is well iMO silly. Ph can swing some even alkalinity some.

So maybe before understanding what people do to maintain consistency, we should establish what consistency looks like. You do weekly 40% water changes and maybe back when you did test it kept you within XX-XX alk, XX-XX ph, XX-XX whatever else... Which was consistent enough for you see results like liked.

Possibly, I never really tested this particular system for alk,ph,mg, calcium levels more than maybe twice. Really to be sure that they were not way out of wack when I set the tank up. They seemed ok so I just started a wc routine that seemed to work. I have a really easy w/c station so all I do is turn a few valves add the salt for the next batch and I am done. My larger system from the past was set up with all sorts of apparatus to keep it "stable", I guess it did:confused2: .
I may be keeping my system very stable and just don't know it.

I know you will find a wide range of opinions about water changes. I personally have always done large ones with every tank and have not experienced any negative results. BTW I use instant ocean.

Let me add to this a little bit,
what Grouper does for his tank as far as testing goes works for him because he is an experienced reefer. There are certain things I'm sure will tip him off in the tank that something is out of whack, at which point he would probably start troubleshooting in on way or another.
I'm not calling anyone else "inexperienced", but after a long while people can develop a feel for their particular tank. Testing is important IMO and can be a bit like training wheels. Take them off too soon and BAM. OR use them too much and drive yourself crazy with tenths of points.
Also, keep in mind that a test only shows you what HAS ALREADY happened in a reef tank, and thus if you are constantly reacting to test kits you're always changing things and always playing catch up.
IMO one key to stability (the topic of this thread) is being able to spot the signs of a change that is about to occur, or has JUST began to happen, ... correct the course and thus minimize any dramatic swings.
This is what having a eye does for you. That being said, and I'm sure grouper will agree, at some point we all miss something that should have been obvious in hindsight.
Grouper, I hope i didn't put too many words in your mouth.
I THINK out of the last few posts the take away, as far as stability goes, is being able to spot changes before they become severe.

SnowManSnow;1096388 wrote: Let me add to this a little bit,
what Grouper does for his tank as far as testing goes works for him because he is an experienced reefer. There are certain things I'm sure will tip him off in the tank that something is out of whack, at which point he would probably start troubleshooting in on way or another.
I'm not calling anyone else "inexperienced", but after a long while people can develop a feel for their particular tank. Testing is important IMO and can be a bit like training wheels. Take them off too soon and BAM. OR use them too much and drive yourself crazy with tenths of points.
Also, keep in mind that a test only shows you what HAS ALREADY happened in a reef tank, and thus if you are constantly reacting to test kits you're always changing things and always playing catch up.
IMO one key to stability (the topic of this thread) is being able to spot the signs of a change that is about to occur, or has JUST began to happen, ... correct the course and thus minimize any dramatic swings.
This is what having a eye does for you. That being said, and I'm sure grouper will agree, at some point we all miss something that should have been obvious in hindsight.
Grouper, I hope i didn't put too many words in your mouth.
I THINK out of the last few posts the take away, as far as stability goes, is being able to spot changes before they become severe.
Totally agreed. I don't think everyone needs to follow my path. The water change is what I do to ensure what I perceive as stability ( the topic ) . If I stay consistent with my program and everything seems to thrive then I only assume stability is present. I guess I focus more on consistency than actual "number" chasing. Too often a number is determined by IMO inconsistent test kits/devices/users and then things are done to adjust the number without really knowing what is causing the issue and then tested with the same means. Too many anecdotal events for my taste so I stick with what works, anecdotal or not, and let the greater minds test the waters (pun intended):)
Not that experienced just lazy I guess. I do really enjoy my tank as it is very little maintenance and trouble free.

Check this out. Coming soon to an aquarium near you, alkalinity monitoring and control:
a>

Back