What do you use for Ca and Alk in your tanks?

Adam M

Supporting
Reaction score
What do you guys use to supplement Ca and Alk in your tanks? Two part, Kalkwasser or Calcium reactor? I've used two part in the past but wanted to see if Kalkwasser or a Calcium reactor may be a better option.

All For Reef. It’s one solution that takes care of alk, calcium, magnesium and trace elements. A little goes a long way and if you get the powdered version, it cuts down on cost.

If ever my alk or calcium consumption is off I make up the extra with homemade 2 part using Randy Holmes Farley’s recipe. (Soda ash for alk and calcium chloride for calcium)

2 part for now.
i've done kalk in the past and its rough on equipment over time. i'm sure my setup wasnt the best though.
at some point in the future i'll need to have a calrx

31 grams of Kalk in a 5 gallon bucket of RODI on an Apex DOS being controlled by PH probe

I use BRS 2-part with their 1ml pumps. I am a convert; used to dose manually, now I just adjust the timer once a week or so based on measurements.

I use BRS 2 part and dose with a APEX DOS and adjusted by the Trident. Initially thought I had wasted a bunch of money but now that I am building trust in it seems to keep things more stable than I could on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use BRS 2 part and dose with a APEX DOS and adjusted by the Trident. Initially thought I had wasted a bunch of money but now that I am building trust in it seems to keep things more stable than I could on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Unfortunately I have the classic apex. If not,.I would probably go the trident route since I find testing cumbersome.

I use All For Reef powder. It is supposed to be "balanced", but I'm finding my mag is higher than I'd like. Not sure what to do about that. I have a Trident and use the Alk measurement to turn on and off a Jaebo doser.

Main system has 2 calcium reactors and calcium hydroxide. System 2 uses sodium carbonate and calcium chloride.
The second system is small but uses about 200mL of two parts per day. If planning to keep numerous stony corals, I would defer to the calcium reactor.

I use all for reef in my aquariums and dose a small amount daily via apex. The numbers are always very stable, and I appreciate the easy button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All For Reef powder. I have using for less than a year so I'm dosing max recommended by hand. Supplementing using highly dilute soda ash solution in ATO to manage PH. 90g. I have a apex and have yet I to integrate dosing with it.

I use All For Reef powder. It is supposed to be "balanced", but I'm finding my mag is higher than I'd like. Not sure what to do about that. I have a Trident and use the Alk measurement to turn on and off a Jaebo doser.
How much corraline algae growth do you have?

Also, I am curious how a product that increases alkalinity via bacterial action, can be used to control alkalinity via an Apex? There is a lag between the dosage time and rise in alkalinity. So, how does that work?

I have it set to dose a bit every couple hours. If the level gets too high, the doser turns off until the next good measurement, so 6 or maybe 12 hours. I suppose the lag could cause a problematic overshooting/undershooting oscillating level if you were measuring infrequently and dosing a lot based on that, but it doesn't seem to be at the rates I'm doing it.

In process control such oscillation is called hysteresis and the lag response is called a hysteresis loop. Programming can be a pita.

Breaking it into smaller increments makes the problem more manageable.

I wouldn’t trust a Trident to provide the feedback for closed loop control though.

Back