What feed pump do you use w CaRx

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys.
What feed pump do you use with your CaRx? I'm so tired of having to fiddle w the needle valve because my effluent is inconsistent.
I'm using a MJ 900 right now which I know is probably this issue.
I tried a 1200 but it rattles horribly when under back pressure.

So what do you use? Are you able to keep a constant effluent rate?
Thanks
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm running mine off my manifold, but it can be a little inconsistent at times. Thanks to UrbanKnight I was able to pick up a commercial IV machine. So now I just gotta figure out how to program the thing. Lol.

porpoiseaquatics;1109659 wrote: MJ1200 but eventually I'm moving to a manifold. It's not about the pump output because you need to control your drip rate anyway.

Maybe I'll look into this manifold business.
I don't have a lot of stuff though... besides the skimmer there is just the ca rx and a dual brs container.

Great finally meeting you today! I really appreciate it.

Manifold is quick and easy and well worth the effort. :)

I'm running mine off my manifold, but it can be a little inconsistent at times. Thanks to UrbanKnight I was able to pick up a commercial IV machine. So now I just gotta figure out how to program the thing. Lol.

Brett, tell you what, just give me the IV pump and I'll figure it out and then tell you. ;-)

Out of curiosity, what do think is causing the manifold feed to be inconsistent. I was toying with doing the feed that way, but if you're having a problem makes me second guess it.

lol this thing is complicated. Just the general flow and me being OCD. I get a slight hesitation between 4 fast drips on the flow, I think it's because I put it on the end of my 4 stage manifold or i may need to add a needle wheel valve instead of the valve I have installed. I have to check it every couple of days to make sure it's not clogging up and slowing down.

reeferman;1109739 wrote: adjust the flow going IN to the reactor instead of out of.I've been doing it this way for years and my drip stays rock steady.

I do have it setup with my valve before my reactor. I didn't want to risk pressure building up in the reactor.

reeferman;1109739 wrote: adjust the flow going IN to the reactor instead of out of.I've been doing it this way for years and my drip stays rock steady.

So throttle my mj back w a valve ... then open up the needle to the effluent all the way.
I'll try this...
Looking around for one of those nifty valves I have that fit it

reeferman;1109739 wrote: adjust the flow going in to the reactor instead of out of.i've been doing it this way for years and my drip stays rock steady.

+1

That's what I do too when I see the flow get slower. Open a little more from the valve (manifold) and turn it back down. Just have to watch for the pressure.

I use an Avast Marine peristaltic pump. Its configured to pull effluent from the reactor and into the sump. This prevents pressure from building up in the reactor. Output is a steady .4 gallons per hour

elFloyd;1109834 wrote: I use an Avast Marine peristaltic pump. Its configured to pull effluent from the reactor and into the sump. This prevents pressure from building up in the reactor. Output is a steady .4 gallons per hour

So how do you get water INTO the reactor?

1/4" line between sump and reactor input. Peristaltic pump creates low pressure in the reactor pulling water into the reactor from the sump. Instead of pushing water through the reactor I am pulling water through.

A lot of setups are using peristaltic pumps these days. Most are medical grade Masterflex pumps off ebay.

I started off using a Masterflex pump but needed something smaller to go inside the stand. I moved to the Avast Marine pump about a year ago.

Masterflex are quite large and can be noisy. I'm glad the Avast one is working well. How many mL/min are you pushing through it?

Anyone much smarter than me (not hard sometimes, lol) know how to program one of these to run 24/7?

a>

elFloyd;1109834 wrote: I use an Avast Marine peristaltic pump. Its configured to pull effluent from the reactor and into the sump. This prevents pressure from building up in the reactor. Output is a steady .4 gallons per hour

That's an ingenious way to use it. I hadn't even considered that option. Thank you. :)

Back