What is this??

When we're in charge of keeping animals alive (and not wasting money) we can't afford to NOT be interested in this random and obscure topic. The wrong thing could be deadly to our pets and our wallets, so we have to know what's in our tanks!
Exactly!!!!

Do we have any other closeups? Or a video?

I just posted it to Reddit. One person already commented potentially dorvilleidae. Lol

Do we have any other closeups? Or a video?

I just posted it to Reddit. One person already commented potentially dorvilleidae. Lol

What Reddit community do you post in? The only salty one I check out is r/ReefTank but I'm always looking for more sources of information.

What Reddit community do you post in? The only salty one I check out is r/ReefTank but I'm always looking for more sources of information.
I posted in r/Whatisthisanimal

But I subscribe to a few others that are also good. Sometimes I’ll cross post if I need to.

I think - upon much further internet scouring it might be dorvilleidae. The head and eye shape matches. The dark tail to light midsection to dark head again matches. The antennae match.

For the record, I believe @Shawn was correct. I dont have a ton of these in my tank visually, but both my tangs and my clowns scour the walls and glass for these worms each day. I don’t even see them anymore.

Totally forgot about this post. Actually, I met a Marine Worm expert a couple weeks ago. I’ll shoot him this photo today to get his thoughts too. But yeah; I think Shawn’s guess is best so far.

Worm IDs can be super hard. Dorvilleidae is a good suggestion, hard to tell with these pictures. They tend to be extremely small, have jaws you can see through the flesh, and tend to have no bristles on their "neck". I also haven't really seen one that chunky up front but it could just be how it's curled up. Picture makes it hard to notice small details like bristles. I'd say it's possible

I don't see the typical 5 antennae of a eunicid worm here. I have seen that red/white candy striping of the antennae in some eunicids like Palolo sp. but I don't think that's what we're looking at here. However on the subject of eunicids, not every eunicid is Eunice aphroditois the 10ft monster worm that lives in your nightmares. I used to have eunicid worms in my tank, most are omnivorous scavengers and won't harm anything so long as there is sufficient live rock to graze on. Marphysa sanguinea or Palolo sp. are good examples of common "bobbits" that are pretty harmless. They also don't live more than a few months and don't grow more than a few inches long. Not worth worrying about in my opinion, in fact they can be quite enjoyable to watch.

Worm IDs can be super hard. Dorvilleidae is a good suggestion, hard to tell with these pictures. They tend to be extremely small, have jaws you can see through the flesh, and tend to have no bristles on their "neck". I also haven't really seen one that chunky up front but it could just be how it's curled up. Picture makes it hard to notice small details like bristles. I'd say it's possible

I don't see the typical 5 antennae of a eunicid worm here. I have seen that red/white candy striping of the antennae in some eunicids like Palolo sp. but I don't think that's what we're looking at here. However on the subject of eunicids, not every eunicid is Eunice aphroditois the 10ft monster worm that lives in your nightmares. I used to have eunicid worms in my tank, most are omnivorous scavengers and won't harm anything so long as there is sufficient live rock to graze on. Marphysa sanguinea or Palolo sp. are good examples of common "bobbits" that are pretty harmless. They also don't live more than a few months and don't grow more than a few inches long. Not worth worrying about in my opinion, in fact they can be quite enjoyable to watch.

Thanks! This guy was super tiny, no longer than 1/2” and very slim. I used a mini phone microscope for viewing. I observed no bristles, swam in spirals as I understand bristleworms do too. I’ve seen more in my tank that are much smaller, but my fish readily eat them and I don’t have a problem with them in my tank as clean up crew that won’t get too large. They appear to move from the sand.

Back