What is this?

skriz

Reaction score
need 2 id's..

I have this stuff spreading all over the tank...wth is it and how do I get rid of it? The last pic is of another thing that is spreading on the rock. It is a dark brown and leafy, but covers the rock, choking out the coralline. what is that and how do I get rid of it?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
111354=6840-DSC04636.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
111354=6840-DSC04636.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC04636.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
111354=6841-DSC04637.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
111354=6841-DSC04637.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC04637.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
111354=6842-DSC04639.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
111354=6842-DSC04639.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC04639.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
111354=6843-DSC04640.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
111354=6843-DSC04640.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC04640.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
111354=6844-DSC04641.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
111354=6844-DSC04641.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC04641.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

get ready to use flat worm exit and to syphone them out also get alot of water made up and enjoy

yeah you syphon them out as much as you can then flat worm exit sypnon water change add alot of carbon and repeat a few days later just follow the instuctions

im just glad i never got anything from your tank good thats alot of flat worms in one little spot of a 750 cant even begin to think how many you got dude

well from what i understand flat worms are algae eaters the only reason they are a nusence is because they block the light to corals but i might be wrong

Man!!! You could make a horror movie out of that...

What you need is a sixline wrasse... and some exceptional nutrient control. Do you have filter sock?

Not what I wanted to hear!

the infestation is mainly in the overflow area where I took the pics. They must not like strong current. they aren't hurting the corals in anyway though.

No filter socks...should I?

those things are just scary looking - How do you think they got in there ?

they must have hitchhiked in on something...pisses me off!

figured out the last pic is Padina. Anyone know anything about that?

Okay you have a plague of Convolutriloba retrogemma aka flatworms. There are 14 different non-parasitic forms. mainly active at night, can crawl or swim. Proliferate in strong illumination and heavy growth of algea on the glass. Also known to feed on damaged tissues and ingest the zooxathellae. Umm see pix of coral! Multipy asexually and can quickly overrun and entire aquairum.

I was just about to say Padnia as well. Stores calcium carbonate. Not much in any of my books. Does sound real harmful though. I would say manual removal maybe the best way to control it. But that is just a guess.

Not sure what Padnia is, but it looks like a fungus that we had growing in our tank. Was slimy and stuck really well to our LR. Never caused much problem, just grew like algae, but really slow. The emerald crabs would make a go at it every so often, but most things just left it alone.

Victor626nj;111430 wrote: yes when you do treat ment to catch them its going to look like a murder scene

I wouldn't risk zapping them in the tank, even if they are not toxic, left in the tank you are lookin at some serious ammonia hike... Filter sock can reduce your nutrient level to a great extent, if you only see how much crap gets collected in it in a couple of days. but sixline will periodically remove them, I got tired of syphoning them and added a six line the flatworms were all gone.....

Back