What is this?

SuAsati;111516 wrote: I wouldn't risk zapping them in the tank, even if they are not toxic, left in the tank you are lookin at some serious ammonia hike... Filter sock can reduce your nutrient level to a great extent, if you only see how much crap gets collected in it in a couple of days. but sixline will periodically remove them, I got tired of syphoning them and added a six line the flatworms were all gone.....

Yeah, I think I am going to try a more natural appraoch first. It looks a lot worse in the pics than it actually is.

I have read that a 6 line and mandarin will feast on these guys. Anything else? Other wrasses?

These things won't hurt clams will they?

Hey Raj,

The problem with flatworms is that contrary to what you might think the pictures actually look better than what it actually is. These are just the ones that you can see. Under the rocks, in the sand, and in all the little crevices I can guarantee you that there are 1000's more and from the looks of it and the size of your tank maybe hundreds of thousands more.

I'll be glad to talk about this with you tonight when you come by. I used Flatworm Exit on my tank but I only have a 30. I also did a lot of research before I used it so I can share some of that with you.

From those pictures I would only use FE as a last, last, last resort. However, if you do want to completely rid yourself of the problem you're going to need patience, lots of water, a six line wrasse, and any other natural predator you can get your hands on and then maybe some FE.

If you can keep these guys in check they are not completely detrimental but the big problem arises when you skip a water change or something and they multiply like russian dwarf hamsters but faster.

As for your corals, you may not think so but they could very well be the cause of that coral death if you have any of these: AEFW (acropora eating flatworms). - http://www.melevsreef.com/aefw.html">http://www.melevsreef.com/aefw.html</a>

However, from the picture you can tell that you have red planaria...which is a good thing compared to having the AEFW. Here is the procedure I used to remove them from my tank. Like, I said, we can talk about it tonight. This should be your last resort.

[IMG]http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html">http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html</a>

Good luck.

Yeah, I definately know that I do not have AEFW, just the red planeria. I know that it is "worse" than i can see, but it is not as bad as what you can see. The tank is HUGE and only a small amount of real estate is shown.

We'll chat tonite!

Wish you were closer I have a brand new package of Flatworm Exit,and Im almost positive I will never need/use it. Good luck !

I would NOT run a full dose on your system. You will want to clean what you can and then start with smaller doses, carbon and water changes. That is a lot of flatworms and it could easily nuke your system killing them off quickly.

yeah, I'm not going to nuke them quite yet. I will get a 6 line or 2 and a mandarin. I will also siphon the crap out of these guys. This should be sufficient enough to do some real damage to the population.

After a while when it is obvious they have gone down in numbers, I will use the chemical to polish off whatever is left. this will be accompanied with a big water change, carbon and ozone.

if all else fails, I will commence with operation urination...

It doesn't have to be a sixline. Pretty much any wrasse will do as they all pick on rocks and I've never seen them turn down a tasty flatworm. Some species do pick on the rocks more than others though. 6lines happen to be one of the more prolific pickers although there are a bunch of other wrasses I can think of that will give the 6line a run for its money. A radiant wrasse or a two-spot candy hogfish will pick the rock just as well as a 6line. All flashers are pretty good pickers as well.

That last pic btw looks to just be another type of coralline algae. I've got some in my tank that is a lot more reddish than that but otherwise identical. It only grows in low light areas and my wife loves the color :). She wanted me to cover my rocks with it...

FutureInterest;111636 wrote: It doesn't have to be a sixline. Pretty much any wrasse will do as they all pick on rocks and I've never seen them turn down a tasty flatworm. Some species do pick on the rocks more than others though. 6lines happen to be one of the more prolific pickers although there are a bunch of other wrasses I can think of that will give the 6line a run for its money. A radiant wrasse or a two-spot candy hogfish will pick the rock just as well as a 6line. All flashers are pretty good pickers as well.

ooh, that's great news Jin! I was going to add some wrasses, so this will be perfect. Now that you mention it, I was wondering why my Blue bird wrasse was "eating sand"..guess that's why!

skirz,
I'm getting ready to get rid of some of my fish. I have a VERY large mystery wrasse that would make easy work of them. He's the boss of the tank, but has been a model citizen, not eating inverts or harrasing other fish too much....and this guy is a total pig. PM me if you're interested. I'd love to see him go to a HUGE tank like yours. I have no experience with flat worms, but I do know the mystery is in the same family as the 6 line.

Being the holidays... the Christmas Wrasse is gorgeous and my new Yellow Coris Wrasses are quite the stunner.

Holy crap- you weren't kidding when you said you had a flatworm problem! :)

Cameron;111710 wrote: Being the holidays... the Christmas Wrasse is gorgeous and my new Yellow Coris Wrasses are quite the stunner.

I did like the yellow coris, quite a beaut!

Ya, I think that is the SECOND worst outbreak I have seen in a member's tank. I think the worst still goes to Scott's Tank and he is STILL trying to make a dent in the population!!!

I am really liking my green coris wrasse as well. He is always out front zipping around picking at one thing or another. Very cool fish, but the Yellow Coris with the black spots on the fins are really stunners.

i saw a christmas wrasse yesterday...very nice looking fish!

Yep, the wrasses are just a very colorful and interesting family of fish. I've always liked the x-mas and coris wrasses and do consider them "reef safe". They're usually pretty much ideal tank inhabitants when they're small, but when they get large enough they do have a propensity to occasionally munch on an invert here and there. Nothing too serious though.

Back