What lights do you use? - PLEASE VOTE

I have four of the ai 26s and love them the customer support is amazing also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just put a Kessil a350w on my 75 and have another one on the way. Wanted to make sure I liked it before I ordered the second one. I've only had it a few days but I'm liking it a lot so far. Nice color and shimmer, love the gooseneck mount and sleek design. Easy manual controls and quality construction. I'm excited to see how my tank does under them. I've heard a lot of people complain about the intense shimmer but I just adjust the amount of surface agitation to get the shimmer right.

Jimmyb819;1017242 wrote: Just put a Kessil a350w on my 75 and have another one on the way. Wanted to make sure I liked it before I ordered the second one. I've only had it a few days but I'm liking it a lot so far. Nice color and shimmer, love the gooseneck mount and sleek design. Easy manual controls and quality construction. I'm excited to see how my tank does under them. I've heard a lot of people complain about the intense shimmer but I just adjust the amount of surface agitation to get the shimmer right.

I used to have kessils, be careful- it took about a year for my corals to adjust to the high intensity of these lights. Love the shimmer and footprint!

Nickh06;1017347 wrote: I used to have kessils, be careful- it took about a year for my corals to adjust to the high intensity of these lights. Love the shimmer and footprint!

What intensity did you start out with? Were your corals under LEDs before the Kessils? I'm trying to make sure I acclimate mine so I have the intensity turned down some. Also, everything was under LEDs before so it shouldn't be that big of a shock if any.

Nickh06;1017347 wrote: I used to have kessils, be careful- it took about a year for my corals to adjust to the high intensity of these lights. Love the shimmer and footprint!

Yes, start at low intensity. I almost killed my SPS(and I'm still not sure my red monti will survive) by starting out at 70%.

Jimmyb819;1017357 wrote: What intensity did you start out with? Were your corals under LEDs before the Kessils? I'm trying to make sure I acclimate mine so I have the intensity turned down some. Also, everything was under LEDs before so it shouldn't be that big of a shock if any.

FWIW, I bumped mine down to 45% and my corals, except for the red monti, recovered nicely. My corals came over from LED's on a biocube that were run at ~90% intensity. With a greater distance between the Kessil and the corals I thought 70% would be fine. I was wrong!

RedStang;1017358 wrote: Yes, start at low intensity. I almost killed my SPS(and I'm still not sure my red monti will survive) by starting out at 70%.

What intensity would you recommend?
Were you using an a350 or a360? Wide or narrow?

Jimmyb819;1017360 wrote: What intensity would you recommend?
Were you using an a350 or a360? Wide or narrow?

A360W. Not the e version. Love the light now :)

RedStang;1017363 wrote: A360W. Not the e version. Love the light now :)

I know the E version is more powerful but how does the regular a360w compare to the a350w? Is the new control system the only difference?

Jimmyb819;1017365 wrote: I know the E version is more powerful but how does the regular a360w compare to the a350w? Is the new control system the only difference?

With the 360 you get "Kessil Logic" which supposedly makes the 360 more efficient. I believe they have the same LED setup and same power. It's how the power is delivered which changes. On the 350 I think you control white intensity and blue intensity. With the 360 you control color temp with one knob and intensity with the other.

Not a huge difference IMO. I went with the 360 since I already have an Apex and could control the 360.

I have 2 Kessil 360W-E's on my 120 - granted the tank is young. I have 2 small groups of zoas near the sand bed that are open and happy. My Kessil's program is:

10AM - Sunrise Starts (100% White, 0% Intensity)
2PM - Mid Day (65% White, 50% Intensity)
6PM - Sunset Starts (65% White, 50% Intensity)
10PM - Off (0% White, 0% Intensity)

By hour:

10AM - 100% White, 0% Intensity
11AM - 92% White, 12% Intensity
12PM - 83% White, 25% Intensity
1 PM - 74% White, 37% Intensity
2 PM - 65% White, 50% Intensity
3 PM - 65% White, 50% Intensity
4 PM - 65% White, 50% Intensity
5 PM - 65% White, 50% Intensity
6 PM - 65% White, 50% Intensity
7 PM - 49% White, 37% Intensity
8 PM - 33% White, 25% Intensity
9 PM - 17% White, 12% Intensity
10PM - 0% White, 0% Intensity

well, at this point... i'm using Radions G3 (non pro for my 16" tank) with wide 120 degree optic lenses.

growth is good on sps.
color is pretty good on sps.
dialing them is is a bear.
i'm adding a few t5 tubes later in the week to try and fill the aesthetics out a bit (without adding a lot more PAR).

I figure... since I have this much invested in Radions, I could always sell them and do a powermodule, but i'm not ready to ditch LED yet.. i really haven't given it a fair shake. its a patient man's game.

3-kessil a360we's over my 100% sps 93g cube (30x30x24) the tank is 2 months old but all sps are encrusting well and showing good polyp extension.

0600-10% intensity 0% color
0800- 50% intensity 10% color
1000- 100% intensity 35% color
1200-100% intensity 50% color
1400- 50% intensity 35% color
1900- 0% intensity 0% color

Back