What salt do you use?

triga22

Market
Reaction score
I was wondering if you are going to add supplements to your tank why buy a special grade reef salt? So I would like the opinions on that.
Thanks

I have always used RC and I was thinking of switching over to IO and dosing.

I use Reef Crystals because I have always got OK results with it. I did switch to TMPro for awhile and could not get the Alk or Ca to stay where I needed it. Of course my tank at the time was too small for a reactor so I was 2 parting it. I had better results with Reef Crytals so I went back to it. I have thought about switching but to what I don't know. Possibly SeaChem Reef Salt. I don't have to dose too much Alk/Ca, but alot of Mg. I also dse several Elos suppliments and just started a couple of Zeo's addatives.

I recently just started using the Extra Mg produced by Elos, wow. You really don't have to add much and a jar of it seems as it will last forever. I've never tried epsom salt, after reading(Randy Holmes-Farley) about its potential to build up other compounds. I was using way too much of the liquid from ESV though and had to find something else. I used about 1.5ml (crystals) added to about 30gals of make up water and it brought it from < 1000 to 1350+. So far it has worked for me.

Used petco brand for a while and I was very disapointed. I just switched to IO.

I use IO because I have found through research that it is very consistant between batches and its cheap. IO tends to have a little lower calcium but I take care of that with dosing.

Is this one OK?

Just kidding!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
202608=12146-iodizedMS.gif_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
202608=12146-iodizedMS.gif_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="iodizedMS.gif_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I have been using Coralife for about 4 years now. I used IO before that.

Barbara;202640 wrote: Just make sure you use the "Iodized" Dave. The tank needs the iodine.:D

You mean I can STOP using the eye dropper of liquid iodine? I was wondering 'cause the water is looking mighty pink! :confused2:

RC, but I am in the process of testing a ton of different salts. I may switch, depending on what I find.

Raj, could you please post the tests on here when you are finished. I would love to see the results.Thanks

TriGa22;202693 wrote: Raj, could you please post the tests on here when you are finished. I would love to see the results.Thanks

Oh yeah, no problem! TOo much work not to share :)

I used to use Coralife then IO the Tropic Marin. I am gonna switch back to Coralife after I finish this bucket.

Yes. It's one my race car pistons. Pm me and we can talk more about it. I don't wanna hijack the thread, :)

im curious. we started my wee little sweet yeee old 29gal Bio cube on Red Sea. on joining this group i saw everyone uses Reef Crystals and Ocean, so I did what any impressionable, learner, know-nothing wanna be hobbiest would do and changed to what you all use.

as soon as i switched i ran into calcium and ph problems. i switched back to Red sea and problems are gone.

am i missing something that you all know about using Ocean and Reef that i should know??

Sprayin70;202735 wrote: Yes. It's one my race car pistons. Pm me and we can talk more about it. I don't wanna hijack the thread, :)
oh yeah sorry back to the op.. i use IO only bc thats what the lfs i get my water from has in the water

Back