What tool to Buy?

calireefer

Market
Reaction score
I want to build an aquarium stand and I'm slowly adding to my tool collection. I have a Dewalt; Drill, Circular saw, and sander. What tool do consider essential for cabinet building. I was thinking of buying a router or a table saw. Am I on the right track? Also should I stick with Dewalt or try a different brand? Thanks

-Merlin

ryobi makes good saws, get a table saw and jig saw, also a nice set of hole saws and regular drill bits, oh also a hand sander "electric"

I would think a table saw would be the next on the list... Then an orbital sander...

Da#n I'm torn between the router or the table saw. I have an orbital sander, hole saws and drill bits.

I also use my table saw much more than a router. Table saw makes it a lot easier to build a stand or anything else.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=26170-353-3800-01&lpage=none">[B]<span style="color: #0000ff;">Skil Heavy Duty 10" Single-Bevel Laser Compound Miter Saw</span>[/B]</a>
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/139597=8663-saw.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg>
139597=8663-saw.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="saw.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

The router would be a waste of money UNLESS you are a pro with a router.

If you don't know how to use one it will be far faster but more expensive just to buy pre-milled trim.

I just built Lindas stand yesterday and here are the tools that I consider essential:

Table saw
Compound miter saw
Jigsaw
Palm sander
Beltsander
Compressor
Nailer
Level
Framing square
Drill
Paddle bits/hole saws

I used a circular saw to free hand small cuts but I have been using a circular saw for over 20 years and I'm better than average with one. IMHO any cut more than a foot should be done with a table saw.

If someone told me I could have only 1 power tool to build the stand I would pick the table saw.

For me it would be the table saw. It's the center of my shop (literally) and is my most used and most flexible tool.

table saw. Although I love my mitre saw, you can make mitre cuts with a table saw if needed, but you can't make table saw cuts with the mitre saw.

SO, the table saw is more versatile. I love dewalt, but have changed my tool snobby ways. Since I don't use these tools day in day out, a cheaper one works just fine.

I would get the tble saw next. As others have stated here. My tablesaw is the one I use the most. I like being able to rip larger lumber down to whatever size I need it to be. I love the radial arm saw as well but the throat limits the size of lumber that can be cut

I would stay away from Dewalt, thay sold out to Black and Decker and are not what they used to be. My brother is a contractor and the only thing they use is Ridgid power tools, he swears by them.

Dewalt sold to Black and Decker??? When did this happen? I mean, interesting for me....I'm a Black and Decker user.

I have switched to Rigid; they're good for home use, but nowhere near as good as my old Dewalt stuff. But, you can't beat the lifetime warranty (even on the batteries, which you'll need!)

that would have come in handy with me this weekend. Building my equipment stand and my battery on my old 9.6V just isnt holding charge as much.....granted its about 7yrs old.

glxtrix;139844 wrote: Dewalt sold to Black and Decker??? When did this happen? I mean, interesting for me....I'm a Black and Decker user.

It's been a couple of years now. There was a lot of concern that the DeWalt line would be negatively influenced by the B&W products, but the reverse is true. B&W is being positively influenced by DeWalt---so far anyway.

Rigid tools have been getting good reviews in the past year or two.

I like DeWalt, but I'm tool agnostic...I get whatever the best tool for my needs is regardless of manufacturer. So I've got 'em all--B&W, DeWalt, Grizzly, Delta, Powermatic, Ryobi, Bosch, Rigid, Jet....

A long time ago, like 95 I think. I always remember my dad complaining they where crap now. And when I went tool shopping last year with my borther he would not let me buy anything with the Dewalt name on it.

Back