What's causing my clams to die?

shaned

Supporting
Reaction score
After purchasing a clam about 2 weeks ago the inside fleshy part (not sure what it called technically) is now receding. About 2 months ago I had another one to disintegrate. I've checked my calcium levels which are about 460-480. Are there any other items that the clams need to survive?

My lighting is strong with 16 T5 bulbs in my 170 gal tank. My friend also has a dying clam in his 75 gal tank with similar problems.

Any suggestions on how to nurse this clam back to health?

Thanks,
Shane

theplatypus;99564 wrote: Have you looked for pyramidal snails? Any research into pinched mantle disease?

What do these snails look like? Not sure how to research the disease either. Can you please provide more information on your advice?

Thanks,
Shane

A number of things will cause clams to die. We need more details- ie- types of clams, size, tankmates, lighting, params, pre-death symptoms, etc.

Just in case you're doing everything right, here's another possibility: Several months back there was a clam powerbuy from one of our LFS's. I believe that many, if not all of the clams from that batch died mysteriously, and not only that--they passed something on to some other clams in the members' tanks, which also died in some cases. I don't believe they ever figured out what it was, but it seemed quite clear there was a disease that wiped the clams out. Does anyone who actually was a part of this remember the details? I could be wrong, but that's what I remember...

jessezm;99729 wrote: Just in case you're doing everything right, here's another possibility: Several months back there was a clam powerbuy from one of our LFS's. I believe that many, if not all of the clams from that batch died mysteriously, and not only that--they passed something on to some other clams in the members' tanks, which also died in some cases. I don't believe they ever figured out what it was, but it seemed quite clear there was a disease that wiped the clams out. Does anyone who actually was a part of this remember the details? I could be wrong, but that's what I remember...
Jesse, that ailment effected clams worldwise, not just locally, or from that LFS. It still hasnt been pinpointed. But they beleive it came from a clam batch (likely croceas) from Vietnam.

Wow, I didn't recall it being so far-reaching... Thanks for adding the extra info

Back