What's the BEST salt for reef tanks -- fish corals??

On a side note, how long do you guys mix your salt before you use it. Also how long do you store your mixed saltwater or do you use it all at one time?

I have it in a mixing trashcan, with a heater and mixing pump, and it is always present. The Red Sea Pro suggests that you use it right after mixing it, which I have done. I have done that with IO and RC as well with no issues...just check the salinity. I typically use it and then mix more and leave until next use. I have three mixing trashcans, one with RODI water, another with Red Sea Pro, and another with RC. All three have a mixing pump and heater. I use the Red Sea Pro in my main tank and the RC in my other tank...sort of a 55 gallon frag tank (a long story...).

Curtismaximus;1083601 wrote: On a side note, how long do you guys mix your salt before you use it. Also how long do you store your mixed saltwater or do you use it all at one time?

Great question, I like to let my water "mature" for a few days before using it. While probably not necessary, it provides me time to insure propped temp, and salinity levels.

Ralph ATL;1083537 wrote: Tropic Marin, then RC, then the last 5 years or so Salinity. I do large water changes and ph and parems from batch to batch are need perfect. Alk is around 9, slightly higher than what I would want.

I might give Halcyon a try as it mixes at 7.5...

IME it mixes closer to 8 than 7.5 but other than that the stats on the bag are pretty close. But it's a lot better for how I'm running my tank than hitting 11 or so and then having to practically dose a water change in 1 liter increments every few hours.

As for mixing? A couple of 1 gallon rubbermaid pitchers, shaken in the morning when the salt's added & again in the evening before testing & use.

Curtismaximus;1083601 wrote: On a side note, how long do you guys mix your salt before you use it. Also how long do you store your mixed saltwater or do you use it all at one time?

Salinity is tricky since the levels are all so high (except Alk which is 9 ish), so I mix it in a 45 gallon brute for 24 hours and then and use it completely.

Ralph ATL;1083647 wrote: Salinity is tricky since the levels are all so high (except Alk which is 9 ish), so I mix it in a 45 gallon brute for 24 hours and then and use it completely.

What are the pros and cons of storing saltwater vs freshly made saltwater?

Curtismaximus;1083650 wrote: What are the pros and cons of storing saltwater vs freshly made saltwater?

holding it longer than 24-48 hours increases the chanes of:
settling
de-oxygenation
precipitation
possible bacteria buildup

precipitation is what I am most concerned about after 48 hours...as long as it doesn't do that, and you keep it oxygenated, it can last a very long time.

Back