What's the obsession w raising nutrients?????

Too many beautiful full colored sps tanks around to say that

Jvb89;1057295 wrote: Too many beautiful full colored sps tanks around to say that
I guess that is relative to what one considers beautiful. To my eye most of the led lit sps are not as vibrant in color as the MH ones.
Doesn't mean they aren't nice.

Now that is a true statement. We all have our own idea of beautiful .

I would love to see some before and after pics of led lit tanks that are being dosed nitrates. Especially since I am running LEDs

/ not dosing nitrates, but my sps are really coloring up nice under the radions... seems I stopped nuking them with LED haha

Russ-IV;1057290 wrote: this.

tbh. with all the tools at our disposal it is easy to retain 0 no3 and 0 po4. the zoox thrive off them like any other algae/dino.

i have no skimmer and still dose 20ml of potassium nitrate daily. phosphate rarely gets to 0 and when it does it is bumped back to .02 ppm again.

now i think i remember when i first dosed and was laughed out of these very forums for doing so. i have plenty of befores and afters to show coral need it for coloration.

in regards to adam... he uses sodium nitrate over at battle corals, i use potassium nitrate. you can also use calcium nitrate. it isnt for everyone and i would advise against it unless you know what you are doing.

read up on redfield, symbiodinium and their clades, nitrate uptake with regards to flow, etc.

i did a writeup in another forum and they are doing well in their results.

...stating they all have leds doesnt mean anything. most people have leds now.
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month">http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month</a>
Hmm you might want to rethink that one.

Russ-IV;1057290 wrote: this.

tbh. with all the tools at our disposal it is easy to retain 0 no3 and 0 po4. the zoox thrive off them like any other algae/dino.

i have no skimmer and still dose 20ml of potassium nitrate daily. phosphate rarely gets to 0 and when it does it is bumped back to .02 ppm again.

now i think i remember when i first dosed and was laughed out of these very forums for doing so. i have plenty of befores and afters to show coral need it for coloration.

in regards to adam... he uses sodium nitrate over at battle corals, i use potassium nitrate. you can also use calcium nitrate. it isnt for everyone and i would advise against it unless you know what you are doing.

read up on redfield, symbiodinium and their clades, nitrate uptake with regards to flow, etc.

i did a writeup in another forum and they are doing well in their results.

...stating they all have leds doesnt mean anything. most people have leds now.

Hmm? check this link out you may want to rethink that statement.
a>

Definitely a majority t5 or halide. Like 1 or 2 led

Jvb89;1057307 wrote: Definitely a majority t5 or halide. Like 1 or 2 led
yep and many of them with undetectable nitrates. Not sure if that means ULN but close enough for me.

There has definitely been plenty that get away with no "test kit" detectable nitrates. But some might actually hit rock bottom and cause issues. Which is why one way of managing a reef is cut and dry. Each one has its own quirks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jvb89;1057315 wrote: There has definitely been plenty that get away with no "test kit" detectable nitrates. But some might actually hit rock bottom and cause issues. Which is why one way of managing a reef is cut and dry. Each one has its own quirks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I kinda like the looks of those test kit tanks though. They got away with long enough to make TOTM with some fairly large colonies. The old saying " the proof is in the pudding"

grouper therapy;1057311 wrote: yep and many of them with undetectable nitrates. Not sure if that means ULN but close enough for me.

corals die without nitrate or phosphate. this is an undisputable fact.

also i can pale a coral out using the same lighting but avoiding dosing nitrate.

take a red planet. if i dose it up 5ppm nitrate i get a dark purple. if i let it fall to 0 for a week it goes pale pink. if i let it go a month. it dies. (or all but dies). otherwise we would all have sterile "fresh" water with no fish and keep the greatest colors around. doesnt take long to see the err in your ways.

the lighting type does nothing for a coral's pigment to regulate the amount of zoox in their system. only their nutrient environment does.

the reason a ton of people are getting coloration issues goes far beyond lighting that i really dont feel like explaining it. however, the halide argument is about as valid as maintaining alk at "fill in the blank here". it just doesnt wash.

just go to the zeo forums. plenty of kids cracking the 1k halides and get that paled out look. stating everyone with halides get colors that pop is a fallacy.

tbh. most of the reefs ive seen with halides have washed out colors unless they go 20k. even then, you are in for a disappointment when chucked under a 14k light.

i received a lot of misinformation from here before, but stating halides change anything given their relative par comparison LED counterpart is not convincing me.

that shimmer effect is due to lux. not par.

Russ-IV;1057317 wrote: corals die without nitrate or phosphate. this is an undisputable fact.

also i can pale a coral out using the same lighting but avoiding dosing nitrate.

take a red planet. if i dose it up 5ppm nitrate i get a dark purple. if i let it fall to 0 for a week it goes pale pink. if i let it go a month. it dies. (or all but dies). otherwise we would all have sterile "fresh" water with no fish and keep the greatest colors around. doesnt take long to see the err in your ways.

the lighting type does nothing for a coral's pigment to regulate the amount of zoox in their system. only their nutrient environment does.

the reason a ton of people are getting coloration issues gonfar beyond lighting that i really dont feel like explaining it. however, the halide argument is about as valid as maintaining alk at "fill in the blank here". it just doesnt wash.

just go to the zeo forums. plenty of kids cracking the 1k halides and get that paled out look. stating everyone with halides get colors that pop is a falicy.

tbh. most of the reefs ive seen with halides have washed out colors unless they go 20k. even then, you are in for a disappointment when chucked under a 14k light.
i received a lot of misinformation from here before, but stating halides change anything given their relative par comparison LED counterpart is not convincing me.

that shimmer effect is due to lux. not par.
I never said that all or everyone with halides gets color that pop. I stated that most of the tanks that Ive seen with colors that pop have metal halides on them. Totally different statements. please be a little more accurate in your implications of my statements. While I appreciate your conviction it will take a tank that is more than 6 months old to convince me of a successful approach. Sorry.

grouper therapy;1057320 wrote: I never said that all or everyone with halides gets color that pop. I stated that most of the tanks that Ive seen with colors that pop have metal halides on them. Totally different statements. please be a little more accurate in your implications of my statements. While I appreciate your conviction it will take a tank that is more than 6 months old to convince me of a successful approach. Sorry.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/true-mixed-reef-deep-150g.218638/#post-2514413">http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/true-mixed-reef-deep-150g.218638/#post-2514413</a>

your tank?

btw ask him how the nitrate dosing is working. and he has leds.

info extends far beyond good ol atlanta.

here is a single test case

0 nitrate

[IMG]http://s2.postimg.org/a5drbvjvd/image.jpg alt="" />

5 nitrate

image.jpg
alt="" />

i have plenty of cases i can upload and share.

we can go on about adam, or joe, or jared but that would be a waste of time.

Russ-IV;1057322 wrote: http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/true-mixed-reef-deep-150g.218638/#post-2514413">http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/true-mixed-reef-deep-150g.218638/#post-2514413</a>

your tank?

btw ask him how the nitrate dosing is working. and he has leds.

info extends far beyond good ol atlanta.

here is a single test case

0 nitrate

[IMG]http://s2.postimg.org/a5drbvjvd/image.jpg alt="" />

5 nitrate

image.jpg
alt="" />

i have plenty of cases i can upload and share.

we can go on about adam, or joe, or jared but that would be a waste of time.

That link is far from a sps dominate tank my friend like not even close. Looks good though!!!
I'm very aware of then outside of Atlanta that is why I posted the list of TOTM from all over the world. Your frag does look better but like I said a tank that young ain't gonna convince many. Take the nitrates back down and lets take a look . Why not ? right?

grouper therapy;1057324 wrote: That link is far from a sps dominate tank my friend like not even close. Looks good though!!!
I'm very aware of then outside of Atlanta that is why I posted the list of TOTM from all over the world. Your frag does look better but like I said a tank that young ain't gonna convince many. Take the nitrates back down and lets take a look . Why not ? right?

how about you drop a frag in a sterile tank and see how 0 nitrates and phosphates treats it in a week? doesnt have to be a big tank. make it a 10 gallon. chuck a 2k halide over it and watch it melt.

anyway. ive said my piece. ive had halides over my 220 and i have leds over my 265. i cannot detect any difference due to lighting. just water params.

maybe halides do have the magic sauce. but i am not convinced after owning both.

my .02

Back