What's your water change schedule?

tsciarini

Market
Reaction score
Thought this might be a good poll... How often do you do a waterchange? Feel freel to make comments of gallons per waterchange vs total system volume.

As for me... I try to do aprox 20% every other weekend.

I'll admit that I was big on water changes in the past but I got lazy. I was fortunate to have a low bio-load, fed lightly and had an established system.

Currently I do mine every two weeks, but next weekend I am changing over to small daily water changes via a LiterMeter. Not on the list so I picked weekly. Roughly 25 gallons every two weeks or 3.4 liters daily.

hmm... forgot that option Cameron. I made the addition and moved your vote :)

On my 90G. I do a 10G change once a month....may a little longer.

On my 25G I do a 5G change

On my 12G I do a 3 or 4G change.

I hate water changes.......

Wow, that is huge... I think I do 8 gallons on my 90 every week. Seriously, after Tom's talk last year, I've been a lot better about it.

10g on my 55 every 2 wks

20g on my 120 every 2 wks

I've picked up a Litermeter with the additional pumps, as well, which will allow me to do the constant changes on the 120 once I get it all setup.

I think with two aqualifters, two timers (maybe three depending on autotopoff setup) and two float switches you can create an automated water change system. Pretty cheap and should take some of the sting out of water changes.

OK this got me thinking how easy would it be to do a water change system cheaply and on the least amount of parts. This assumes you have an auto-top-off system with a float switch already.

I think I can do it with two aqualifters, three timers and a 2way power spliter. First aqualifter is salt water resivoir to sump, second aqualifter is sump to drain. The top off power outlet gets the power spliter. First timer goes on a standard power outlet and is set for 30 minutes say at 1AM. Second timer goes on the splitter and is set for 1:05AM for 35 minutes. The last timer goes on the splitter and is set for 1:45AM till 12:55AM (basically the rest of the time with a buffer). Plug the sump to drain aqualifter into the 1AM always on timer. Put the hose in the sump somewhere in the middle of the water line so it can't drain it dry just in case also it should be on the drain side of the sump. Plug the salt res to sump into the 1:05AM timer and place its sump line near the return. Plug the autotopoff into the last timer that runs most of the day. You can play with the times to get the amount of waterchange you want done.

At 12:55AM the autotopoff stops. At 1AM the aqualifter starts and pumps sump water to drain for 30 minutes or until the line is no longer submerged just in case you forget to fill the salt res. At 1:05AM the system begins pumping fresh salt water into the system, but shuts off whenever the float switch tells it to. At 1:45AM autotopoff resumes. Worse case scenario you didn't fill up the res and replaced about 1/2 gallon of salt with fresh.

If you want a backup, put a float vavle in the salt res and hook the sump to drain timer to that power outlet. If there isn't enough salt in the res, the drain pump never comes on.

Total cost:

2 Aqualifters: $25
3 Garden Timers: $30
1 Power Splitter: $5

Safety Float Switch: $50 autotopoff.com

Total simple water exchange module: $60. Little extra safety: $110.

Thoughts?

Back