Which is better for my tank 250w or 400w, 14k or 20k?

raz0945

Supporting
Reaction score
I am buying (3) Hamilton Cebu Sun 24" fixture for my 265g, 31" tall tank. I'm trying to decide which will be better for acros 250w or 400w, 14k or 20k, single or double ended. These are the options that are available. I know the cons would be more heat and I'm not sure how my chalices will do under the 400w light.:D

400 watt SE over that tank would grow sps in the sand. 250 SE would be fine. 14k or 20k would be your personal preference. HQI DE can put out more par due to being able to put them somewhat closer. I run hqi because I have a short canopy. Downside to hqi is they need replaced sooner than the SE. I can squeeze 8 months out of an hqi but that's all.

Neither, go LEDs....... Heh heh heh

image_zpsm1gqp2ma.png
alt="" /></a>

Raz0945;1061253 wrote: How deep is your tank and how far from the water is your metal halide? Thanks, Holley
None now was 24" and 14" above water With the right ballast they burn at around 300 Watts

You can easily get away with 250w SE bulbs if you overdrive them. But I like as much light as possible so I would go with 400w radiums overdriven.

Im guessing your tank is 84x24x31, in which case I would go with 3 400w, or 2 overdriven 250's with LED suppliments.

I run 3x400w radiums running at 440w each along with 90 LED's on my 300g which is 72x36x27. I keep SPS and softies at all levels of the tank too.

nickg;1061255 wrote: I agree with 250 Radium....

+1

If you decide on 14k (I like the color better) but a decent SE bulb are hard to find and you have very limited options now that Phoenix have stopped making them.

As it is, I'm stuck!

Holly, you didn't really mention it as an option, but I am a strong believer in Halides + supplemental lighting (LEDs or T5s). Doing a combo gives you the ability to add more light while avoiding some of the heat (lower wattage halides). Another positive of combo lighting is controllability for some sort of sunrise/sunset.

I had that fixture and hated the reflectors. I'd maybe look into another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonymission;1061350 wrote: I had that fixture and hated the reflectors. I'd maybe look into another option.

What did you not like about the reflector?

grouper therapy;1061411 wrote: What did you not like about the reflector?

Well... It's just one giant reflective shell. No individual reflectors.
Now mine was radium and t5s but it put off way less par than even my sunpowers with no MHs.

tonymission;1061419 wrote: Well... It's just one giant reflective shell. No individual reflectors.
Now mine was radium and t5s but it put off way less par than even my sunpowers with no MHs.

Which ballast did you run?

grouper therapy;1061421 wrote: Which ballast did you run?

M80s
I had multiple tanks going and that was the only one I couldn't get good color in. Probably user error just couldn't get it dialed in with height and photo period. Same water params

tonymission;1061422 wrote: M80s
I had multiple tanks going and that was the only one I couldn't get good color in. Probably user error just couldn't get it dialed in with height and photo period. Same water params

They are not much more than the old bat wing reflectors are they?

grouper therapy;1061425 wrote: They are not much more than the old bat wing reflectors are they?

Pretty much. Wanted to justify the purchase but couldn't come around to it.

Thanks for the info! I am reconsidering the fixture, it did have 4 t-5s and I liked the idea of both mh & t5 combo. We have been in N Ga painting one of the bedrooms. Would love more info if anyone can recommend another fixture for a 265g, the top frame has 3 equal sections for light to go thru, 84x24x31, so the light can only be 24". I'm not sure an 8 bulb t5 can give enought light for acros, they do great under 6 bulbs in my 40g breeder but 31" I don't think so.:D

Back