Who's got the oldest fish

crew

Market
Reaction score
I haven't had any fish in a few years, but two of the fish I sold when I broke down my last tank were 16 years old (mated clowns). I noticed another member posted a thread recently mentioning their 17 year old clown, and now I'm curious. Who has the oldest fish in ARC?

I don't remember who ended up buying my old tank (54 corner) and all of it's inhabitants, but I'd be curious to see if those clowns are still alive. They would be 20 or so today.

I am pretty small time but to get it started off... I have a flame angle that is about 7 to 8 ish.

Before my crash 2 years ago I had a engineer goby that was 17 years old. I miss that guy.

Saw that thread too and was wondering the same thing. Mine are all babies, none older than 4.5. I've also searched in vain for a good list of life expectancy by fish. I'd love to know what I should be aiming for. Should my tail spot have lived to 10 or is the 2.5 years it made it in my tank fairly average? Same with my 6-line that just disappeared, in a biocube of all things, never to be seen again. I'm pretty sure my YWG of 4.5 years should have been able to make it into the teens. And I know clowns are supposedly long lived.

I have a koi the same age as me. My parent aquired him shortly after I was born.

EcoReefGuy;1006216 wrote: I have a koi the same age as me. My parent aquired him shortly after I was born.

That doesn't really help if we don't know how old you are lol?

When I sold my tank, I had a few fish that went with it. The clowns were 16, a foxface that was 7, two engineer gobies that were 3, and a sleeper banded goby that was 8. It would be interesting to try and compile our own list of life expectancies. Based on what everyone has said so far, it looks like we've got a pretty solid start.

I'm sorry lol. Both he and I are 29. He is a Kohaku and resides in Hanoi. The kois that share this home range from 3-30 ish years. There might be older kois in there but I cannot say for sure. I only recognize him specifically.

RedStang;1006207 wrote: Saw that thread too and was wondering the same thing. Mine are all babies, none older than 4.5. I've also searched in vain for a good list of life expectancy by fish. I'd love to know what I should be aiming for. Should my tail spot have lived to 10 or is the 2.5 years it made it in my tank fairly average? Same with my 6-line that just disappeared, in a biocube of all things, never to be seen again. I'm pretty sure my YWG of 4.5 years should have been able to make it into the teens. And I know clowns are supposedly long lived.

I have a six line that I've had for about 2 years now. Bought him from another member who I think had it for 3 years maybe longer. He's still healthy:)

Crew;1006224 wrote: When I sold my tank, I had a few fish that went with it. The clowns were 16, a foxface that was 7, two engineer gobies that were 3, and a sleeper banded goby that was 8. It would be interesting to try and compile our own list of life expectancies. Based on what everyone has said so far, it looks like we've got a pretty solid start.
I'd be curious of personal life experience with captive breed clowns compared to wild caught clowns. I think I know the answer already. Anyone with personal experience with the types of clowns mentioned above would be appreciated.

Wannabee

Great question in your original post! Curious minds want to know how old is your reef occupant?

Here is a pic,not real good.Sorry about the upside-down. Don't know how to fix.

I got a blue tang that was already in captivity for 4 years when I got it (there were 2 actually, one died some years later). I had it for just over 11 years, and I gave it to my employee when I closed the shop. Last I heard, he was still living large - that would make it it least 16 now.

When I had my 1000 g tank all the fish in it had been in the prior owner's care for at least 10 years.

I had a pair of clowns I got as juveniles, the male mysteriously died after 11 years, the female I rehomed to a friend when I closed the shop. I had a client with clowns for 18 and 19 years (the female died a year before the male did).

Fish can live a good long time if they are properly cared for.

Jenn

LSU_fishFan;1006255 wrote: I have a six line that I've had for about 2 years now. Bought him from another member who I think had it for 3 years maybe longer. He's still healthy:)

What I was afraid of. Mine made it 4 years but I have to believe he could have made it several more. I lost a couple of fish "mysteriously" in that tank. Never found bodies and they'd both been active and eating each day. I'd like to at least learn something from one of my fish dying...

Acroholic;1006268 wrote: Now that had to be a record of some kind.

No doubt.

Would love to keep my fish well into their teens. I've read of yellow watchman gobies making it to nearly 20.

I've read that terminal phase male wrasses don't tend to live very long. Anyone know if there is truth to this? I see some for sale on DD on occasion and always wonder why someone would buy one if there's any risk that they'll only live a few years.

My foxface disappeared for about 6 weeks before I found him in the overflow, fat and happy. My 2 engineer gobies disappeared for about 6 months before I found them again when i was breaking down the tank to sell it. Again, both were fat and happy. Reefing is like playing where's waldo with experts.

What I was afraid of. Mine made it 4 years but I have to believe he could have made it several more. I lost a couple of fish "mysteriously" in that tank. Never found bodies and they'd both been active and eating each day. I'd like to at least learn something from one of my fish dying...

I know what you mean, I've lost a few fish myself and never found the bodies.

Back