Why won't my blue tang eat?

if all else fails, I'd put stock into LRS Frenzy food, I got my mandarin to start eating frozen food verses pods off this stuff and all my finicky eaters gulp it down.

well if we are talking about the same thing, I guess soo.....link.....
a>

I took a half day today from work to sit and try to catch this guy. So far I have two snails in there but no fish!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have reef frenzy:
http://www.larrysreefservices.com/reef-frenzy.html">http://www.larrysreefservices.com/reef-frenzy.html</a>

GaJeep94YJ;1062873 wrote: Brett I may take you up on that tomorrow. I'll do just about anything to save him. I'm about to start taking down all my display rock to catch that little demon fish. I just don't want to damage what little coral I have!

I've been feeding a lot, all my other fish a very happy at this, but still I can't see him ever eat anything.

Whatever you need. :) I think others mentioned wait till nighttime, flip on the lights, net him while he's stunned and still asleep.

He sleeps in a cave!

Also the fish trap listed above is too big for my tank. It won't fit

I'm a strong believer that there are some People who should not be allowed to have children.....After today I think I'm going to add that I believe some people shouldn't be allowed to have fish!

And I am one of those people.....

Of any of my fish are still alive at the end of the day it'll be a miracle.

The trap was getting no where. He wasn't even coming close to it and I wad running out of time. So time for drastic measures. I decided to pull the rocks and catch him once and for all.The first base rock I grabbed (also happened to have most of the coral on) I got half way out of the water and it BROKE IN HALF! The larger half, of course, feel back into the water, hitting the side hard enough I still can't believe it didn't shatter and feel back to the bottom. Of course coral side down! My candy cane snapped of, my Hollywood stunner cracked in half, and it feel on my big red plate coral (can't remember the name) and absolutely SHATTER it! Of course all the water the slashed out absolutely soaked the soaked the chair.

Anyone want an abused tank? I'm about done!

I guess the only good part is I took the cave rock out and the fish stayed in it so I got him out. Doesn't matter as I'm sure everything is going to die anyway...

Glad you got the little *******. Now deep breath, everything will settle out and corals can grow back. Lesson of the dottyback received. Now your blue tang will hopefully eat.

this is one hobby that comes with bitter sweet, sometimes a little more bitter than sweet, the key is expect the bitter and you will enjoy the sweet even more.

The water is clearing back up, but you what. I haven't seen the blue tang once since all this happened.... I bet you that I ended up squishing him when the rock fell. He was barely 1.5" long.

How ironic would it be if I did all that to try to save him and it ends up that I killed him while trying to " save" him.

GaJeep94YJ;1062951 wrote: The water is clearing back up, but you what. I haven't seen the blue tang once since all this happened.... I bet you that I ended up squishing him when the rock fell. He was barely 1.5" long.

How ironic would it be if I did all that to try to save him and it ends up that I killed him while trying to " save" him.

I'll bet he's hiding out weathering the storm. :)

Feeding time came and went, still no sighting...

GaJeep94YJ;1062962 wrote: Feeding time came and went, still no sighting...

Take a flashlight and look around in the nooks. He's probably scared out of his mind and hiding. Mine can lay flat behind a rock and can't be seen and he's nearly 5" long!

Still no sign....

So how long do I wait before I go looking for it? My concern is it's dead and will poison the rest of my tank

GaJeep94YJ;1063016 wrote: Still no sign....

So how long do I wait before I go looking for it? My concern is it's dead and will poison the rest of my tank

If you don't see it when you get in from work, I'd go looking.

It will not poison the tank he just enters the food chain buddy. In fact if you have not seen him in a couple of days I would suspect that is what has happened. Fingers crossed I'm wrong

I hope he turns up.

Having said that, there are good lessons to take from this.

Firstly - don't beat yourself up. Most of us have inadvertently bought a bully fish.

Most of us have also had to rip a tank apart to remove said bully fish.

Coral breakage = frags. Trading opportunity. Maybe a few things will be ugly for a bit til they heal but most will heal - storms on the reef, marauding parrotfishes or sharks, or groupers diving through corals for prey often break corals - they can take some junk. Give them some time to repair, most do.

Tiny tangs are fragile. You mentioned you were told it was eating in the store. That may well be, but no matter what kind of fish or what store you buy it, I always recommend asking the store clerk to feed it for you while you observe. If it doesn't eat in the store - WAIT. If it does eat, find out what it ate so you can have some on hand, and then if it doesn't eat for a bit when you bring it home, you will at least know when it last ate prepared foods.

Did it nip at rocks at all? That's a normal feeding behavior for tangs. If it did that, then it was eating - just not eating prepared foods.

It's quite possible Pseudochromis was intimidating it. You mentioned it's skinny - if/when it turns up, it might not be a bad idea to lace the food with some Metronidazole and Focus when you do get it taking prepared foods - that will help stave off any ich that may be present AND it will deworm it. If it's eating and skinny it could have internal parasites robbing it of the nutrition it is taking in.

Take a deep breath.... it will be OK. Most of us have been there, done that, and we feel your pain.

If he has perished in there, it's a small fish so if the tank is well cycled you probably won't see a chemistry blip but do keep an eye on water quality for a bit.

They are great at hiding when frightened, it's possible he's just really freaked out and may turn up again in a few days.

Jenn

I just can't win...

Took the tank apart, again, looking for him. Couldn't find him. Put the tank back together again, started tearing apart the sump. Found him stuck against the return pump! Barely moving but still alive. Put him back in the DT and fed right over top of him and he seemed to try to eat. He is kind of just floating around the bottom.

But now.... My YELLOW TANG keeps running into him! At first I thought he was trying to help him stay upright but it's pretty clear he is not helping:

https://youtu.be/q6ByeBZs4dU">https://youtu.be/q6ByeBZs4dU</a>

What to do now? I don't have a QT to separate him.

Back