Why won't my blue tang eat?

Bless your heart ��
It doesn't look like he's being aggressive maybe just checking him out a little bit. My yellow tang did that with the three new Anthias I put in and I was getting upset with it but then it appeared he was just trying to be friends...
You saved its life!!! Great job, pat yourself on the back for that for now!!

GaJeep94YJ;1063117 wrote: I just can't win...

Took the tank apart, again, looking for him. Couldn't find him. Put the tank back together again, started tearing apart the sump. Found him stuck against the return pump! Barely moving but still alive. Put him back in the DT and fed right over top of him and he seemed to try to eat. He is kind of just floating around the bottom.

But now.... My YELLOW TANG keeps running into him! At first I thought he was trying to help him stay upright but it's pretty clear he is not helping:

https://youtu.be/q6ByeBZs4dU">https://youtu.be/q6ByeBZs4dU</a>

What to do now? I don't have a QT to separate him.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The Yellow Tang now sees him as a "newbie". Yellows can be territorial and will strike out but it generally doesn't last more than a few hours to a day. The key is to only introduce fish during dark hours. If you must introduce during daylight hours, try doing it during a feeding. This distracts everybody to the fact that there's a new face around.

I hope the little guy makes it.

I introduced him back in when I found him in the sump. I did fed right away with frozen, pellets, and sea weed just so bee could eat what ever he wanted.

Good news is he made it through the night and is swimming around.

Bad news is the yellow tang is really going after him now. Any suggestions on how you help that process? I wish I could get the yellow tang out for a little bit and put him in time out for a some. But I don't have a QT and the sump isn't really good for that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GaJeep94YJ;1063143 wrote: I introduced him back in when I found him in the sump. I did fed right away with frozen, pellets, and sea weed just so bee could eat what ever he wanted.

Good news is he made it through the night and is swimming around.

Bad news is the yellow tang is really going after him now. Any suggestions on how you help that process? I wish I could get the yellow tang out for a little bit and put him in time out for a some. But I don't have a QT and the sump isn't really good for that.

You could try and build an egg crate box to hold the yellow in until the blue is strong and can handle the yellow tang

Oh boy...that would require me to catch another fish.....

GaJeep94YJ;1063151 wrote: Oh boy...that would require me to catch another fish.....

Were you able to acquire a trap?

The one offered above wouldn't fit in my tank. I tried the 20oz bottle for the dotty back back but that didn't work.

I had to leave for work so hopefully he'll be ok wile I'm gone. Not sure I have enough egg crate to make one but when I get home I'll try

35 gallon.

*I know they'll start to outgrow the tank. Hoping by then I find a cube for the price I can afford and then I can move them all!

He's still alive!

Tangs seem to be getting along much better now but the yellow is still taking cheap shots.

I've fed them twice today already. He maybe eats two or three tiny pellets, that's it. I did see him poop though so I took that as positive.

He won't touch the sea weed, or the frozen stuff.

All the other fish are loving the food though. They are getting 99% off it before it gets low enough to get to the blue tang. And the sea urchin is going to town on the excess sea weed.

GaJeep94YJ;1063204 wrote: He's still alive!

Tangs seem to be getting along much better now but the yellow is still taking cheap shots.

I've fed them twice today already. He maybe eats two or three tiny pellets, that's it. I did see him poop though so I took that as positive.

He won't touch the sea weed, or the frozen stuff.

All the other fish are loving the food though. They are getting 99% off it before it gets low enough to get to the blue tang. And the sea urchin is going to town on the excess sea weed.

I do too!!!:eek: lol

Good to hear. When I experienced signs of aggression with my tangs I would feed them , it seemed to relax them. I think fish fight for grazing/feeding rights more than the actual space.

Yahoo! 30 pellets this morning! I think he's going to be alright!

Now I gotta back off the two a day feedings. My other fish are loving it though!

Can you over feed with sea weed like you can with frozen food? The blue tang still hasn't eaten any sea weed, the other guys eat their fill and then the sea urchin moved in and fishes it. Should I continue putting it in there?

I know you know about tangs and a small tank, but I'd at least remove one asap. I didn't catch the size of tank til a couple of posts ago, and it went right over my head when you mentioned the trap wouldn't fit in your tank.

I'm glad he's OK and eating - but things won't stay OK for too long.

Watch your water quality too - with all the rearranging and stuff, as well as the feeding heavily, water quality can go south, FAST.

And any amount of food can be too much whether it's eaten or uneaten it becomes waste. Tangs need to eat a LOT and that can cause problems in a smaller tank.

Jenn

Back