Wild Hermit crabs...?

vettesarebest

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im in Sarasota Florida, on vacation, and I have been going fishing a couple times on sand bars and things, and have run across numerous little hermit crabs, but I can't seem to find them on the internet. They look just like red legged or blue legged hermits, but they are tan. I am wondering if I can bring some home to clean my tank....? Anyone know what they are, or if I can do this? Thanks guys!

P.s. I also caught a pipe fish and two LITTLE seahorses!:yay:

Thanks for the list, but do you guys know, if I can put them in my reed without killing everything....?

I couldn't see why not, I was planning on doing this to any washed up hermits I find when I go down in august. Maybe a FW dip? but that might kill an invertebrate....to sum up, I am curious too...any experts have any suggestions?

No freshwater dips! My advice would be to leave it in the ocean. Buy hermit crabs from a lfs there not that expensive.

I looked into bringing home some critters on my last vacation. After a few hours of research I decided it really wasn't worth the risk of crashing my tank just to save a few bucks. The biggest problems facing you will be: the pollution level from where you will be collecting is considerably higher then your pure pollution free tank at home, who knows what type of parasites could be brought into your tank by a harmless hermit crab that could wipe out your entire system, and transporting them home alive. It came down to risk vs reward and for all the trouble to save a couple of bucks sometimes it's better to pay for a little peace of mind and no hassle.

acroporas;196616 wrote: Why do you think it illegal to collect seahorses and pipefish.
I don't think it's illegal, but I do know that FL has some ambiguity regarding collection methods. On the one hand, ornamental species are limited to hands, nets, and a "slurp gun" under their collection laws, but obviously fish are generally caught using a rod and reel.
dmahoney82;196659 wrote: After a few hours of research I decided it really wasn't worth the risk of crashing my tank just to save a few bucks.
This is pretty much why you shouldn't bother. Even if the specimen is thoroughly quarantined, it has likely weathered a host of shoreline pathogens and toxins that it can happily carry into your tank.

Now if you're off in a clean collection spot like the keys and can be sufficiently confident it's far from agriculture and shore runoff (NOT Sarasota! Tons of agriculture there), I'd say give it a whirl, but definitely quarantine.

not worth it considering how cheap they are to buy from a lfs.

If it was a pair of x-hatch triggers, that would be a different story! :)

not that I have any crabs in my tank anyways, but if they aren't blue or red legs, I personally wouldn't trust them.

of course you don't have crabs you don't have sand
a>

you dont need sand to have crabs....I thought that was reef keeping 101 :doh:

Why do you start every post with "....." And then post another right after it?

sorry my comp is a pos and i cant see new post unless i do that. ill be getting a new one in a month or so, so you wont have to see it long

Soooo hitting the new posts button on the main page doesn't work for you?

Back